ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Can
    you drop the playlist in mkv toolbox and just select the main video stream, that should just give you HDR10, not great, otherwise use youscopes tool?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

For a typical setup nothing, but if you start to add things like a tower PC with a video card then you may get voltage differences for the ground signal level of HDMI and/or USB.

Tying everything to a common ground level is then essential even if the total power block is not even grounded at the grid side.

DaMacFunkin likes this.
  3. n_p

n_p Active Member

Does default Kodi using the native Kodi player not work?

(I'm not asking about auto framerate switching, and HDR switching stuff, just - do you get an image out of the native Kodi player on this box and does HW accelerated decoding work (native Kodi player))

4. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Well suprisingly Kodi 18.8 does work with video accelearation and full bitrate passthrough (atmos etc) but DV mkvs played as HDR.

5. DaMacFunkin

Can you install the custom exoplayer and xml from the makemkv forums?

6. mattmarsden

I can certainly try - do you know where I should look for that as the MakeMKV forums have got a bit long!

7. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

OK my shiny new Z9X is all set up - not looked at google apps yet.

As I have a non DV display I have set HDR to Auto. Any advice on the 'Color settings'. Currently left these on default - except set HDMI Color Region to 16-235.

8. DaMacFunkin

9. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

When I connected my Z9X it did an OTA update to 6.0.22. Do I need to get 6.0.22_G and install that?

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  11. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

12. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Nice one!

Auto would be ok, but as always I prefer a belt and braces approach, so I've set:

4K 50/60 > Priority YUV420 8-bit
    4K 23/30 > Priority YUV444 10-bit
    Non-4K > Priority YUV444 8-bit
    HDMI Color Region > Auto

HDMI Color Region is a bit of a misnomer, it should be HDMI Range and I'd usually set to 16-235

Also, have a try with the Dolby VS10 engine - that should allow all content to be displayed or converted to HDR10 and the Dolby special sauce does a great job of that.

** EDIT **

Ok - many thanks to @jwort93 :)

For now, set Range to 16-235 not Auto for HDR mode <Auto>

There is an issue with black level in non-Dolby modes, but this is due to HDMI Range not working properly - bug sheet will be ammended and submitted!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  13. mattmarsden

It also locks up on the Mandalorian DV mp4 - taken straight from Disney so should be in spec.

14. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Does anything special need to be done to get 5.1 audio on netflix? I sideloaded the latest Netflix Android TV APK, and I can get 4K HDR, but only stereo audio.

15. jwort93

jwort93 Member

Do you think your black level issue is because of the Auto HDMI range setting? I noticed the image was way too dark when playing Ant-man and the Wasp with HDMI range set to Auto, but if I set it to 16-235, it fixes the overly dark issue, and looks the same as playing back the blu-ray directly on my UB9000 now. Or is your black level issue only when converting HDR -> SDR?

Markswift2003 likes this.
  16. Markswift2003

Haha - Good call - could be - I've been so deep in this thing for the last few weeks it's driving me insane - I'll check

HDMI range was a source of much issue for a while...

**EDIT**

Damn! Good catch - we thought HDMI Range was fixed so assumed the issue was black floor, but you're absolutely right - the bug is in HDMI Range!

It'll be in the next bug report.

There's a new firmware due this week - doubt this will be in it though... You never know though ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    jwort93 likes this.
  17. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Yep, has already been reported.

18. Dan

Dan Member

What settings should one use for colour settings and HDR, connected to OLED LG C6.

Used the below on X9S

10 bit priority
    Priority YCBCR 444
    HDMI Range Mode Auto
    HDR = Auto

19. Markswift2003

Actually, it's not as simple as setting 16-235 - for VS10 modes, that now raises the black floor way above 64.

My head hurts - I was happy it was just dodgy black levels before :confused:

20. jwort93

jwort93 Member

So I re-ripped IT (2017) with MakeMKV 1.15.2, which is a DV profile 7 MEL title , and it seems to play back correctly, but I get flashing black screens every 10 seconds or so. Is this a known issue with DV MKVs right now?