Review and need-to-know Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Nice Monkey, Jun 9, 2023.

1. supermood

supermood Active Member

@Reelyator I would not confirm that, I'm also having +2tb music on my nas in great quality and I'm not getting along with the a6 in the moment. main reasons for me, maybe relevant for you

1. i have only 30 perfectly (for me) maintained genre and usually I'm choosing a genre and then artist and or album / compilation. that's NOT POSSIBLE. you get an endless list of tracks

2. Im trying to avoid mobile app usage, having an tablet on a table (huge and with keyboard. so landscape is fix). some for me important things are not possible in cast mode, but the app doesn't work in landscape

3. if you have auto scan on (would be good for me) you cannot scroll the library at all.

4. perfectly (to my knowledge) scrapped music (tried Picard and later mp3 tag with a slightly easier naming convention) still gives you endless lists of album without cover, artist without picture, splitted albums, completely unknown things. it's not even possible to correct that on board with music on the nv2. means delete, try scrapping again with your nas/pc, copy again on nv2, scan again

2. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

I'm not sure I follow this logic at all.
    There are multiple FS available on Linux (though Android in my limited experience seems to use ext4). How the automatic update works with a local FS will depend on the FS and the monitoring agent - I can't see there will be a non-maskable interrupt to force an update the instant something on the FS changes.
    However the questions was for a NAS. That's a remote file system using one imagines SMB as it's a defacto standard because of Windows (if it's NFS then I have no relevant experience). SMB does allow a remote notification for an updated folder. It will vary depending on the CIFS/SMB implementation but I seem to recall that the notification is a summary of the things that have changed ie the files and what was done to them, not just a simple "look at this". So the automatic update will be looking at the notification via SMB of the mounted music folder(s) not individual files so if something in the folder is updated (or multiple things) that would only trigger the one SMB update at the folder level I'd suggest.

3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes. More or less.
    If something happens to that folder multiple times, such as a copy of several files - consider a 100 mp3s (4/5ooMB...?), that'll take a ridiculously short time to an NVMe, yet 100 events will be fired...
    It depends on the client implementation, that is: whenever a notification is fired, the client will group them by type, wait som threshold time, and start processing them; a thing the Eversolo doesn't seem to do, as it ctime-checks, and even if no changes have been detected it refreshes the folder unconditionally, forcing the current view to reset itself to the top...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

Now I am confused.
    SMB/CIFS will if requested notify that a mounted filesystem has changed. From my recollection and understanding I don't think 100 events will be fired as that's not what the spec says. I think 1 event with 100 sub items in it will be fired. It's been a while since I paid attention to this kind of stuff but at one point I did read the CIFS spec; and there's probably a difference between CIFS & SMB but no one wants chatty protocols cluttering up networks. Client implementation in this case is to register for the notifications and process the list when notified.

The EverSolo client implementation isn't using a notify if what you say is true and simply polling for changes at some level of frequency (and does something even if no files are changed?). That's a different process and again the amount of changes in a given cycle will depend on the cycle time and how quick the changes are occurring.

Either way time based or SMB notified the number of changes in short order makes no odds.

Nutul likes this.
  5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

If it is time-based yes, you are right. If it is event-chain based, you are even more right. I cannot remember all the bits (something like 25 years have passed already).
    It is tru the Eversolo does not appear to register to the CIFS notification, preferring to poll at regular intervals, but refreshing the UI (and the search / scroll / position of the lists you are browsing...) even if no change has taken place.
    Hopefully they'll fix the behavior; at least to "if no change => do nothing at all"... In the meanwhile I'd still suggest to disable auto-updates at all, as a user probably knows when he wants to modify his library, and could fire the update once finished... this will, from the time-polling perspective, at least give some relief to the Eversolo's UI.

Jjb067 likes this.
  6. fahzz

fahzz New Member

No sound-how do I reboot my A-6?

7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

pull the plug.

Womaz, zipe, Amnesiac and 1 other person like this.
  8. fahzz

fahzz New Member

9. Amnesiac

Amnesiac New Member

I like to check I've not been a numpty and set the output to something other than the amp I'm expecting to play - this one output at a time is not good for forgetful old farts. If that doesn't work. Pull the plug ;-)

Nutul likes this.
  10. fahzz

fahzz New Member

Funny you should say that- I was trying it with a SPDIF DAC and I had the wrong output setting on the DAC. I assume that puts me in the numpty category. I found the error before I pulled.

Amnesiac likes this.
  11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes, it does put you into the category, as you still asked before you found the error. :)

fahzz likes this.
  12. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

Thank you for your feedback!

That would be a no-go for me as well. Playing back through Artist->Album is in 99% my preferred approach.

Are you aware that the "selection options" must be configured through the media server settings of your NAS? For Synology this looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Is the Eversolo really not able to display this correctly, even with correctly configured media server settings??

13. steveoat87

steveoat87 New Member

I too have many split albums, some without covers. Don’t have this problem in jriver, audirvana or LUMIN. Not sure how to fix with Eversolo.

14. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Updated the review to match FW 1.2.50 and current state of development.

Please correct me where being wrong or missing something.

15. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Added the "Hidden BT Output functionality". Which in fact just works when enabled/paired.
    A license reason to keep it hidden?

16. Calypso

Calypso Member

Quick question. How are you controlling the volume to your BT ear buds/headphones, as I am unable to change the volume level using the DMP A6 volume knob? Thanks.

17. Calypso

Calypso Member

(Solved) Downloaded the APK control app for my Sony air buds to the DMP A6, and control the volume for there.

Nutul likes this.
  18. Inti

Inti Active Member

We’re is this hidden BT output can you please direct me thanks

19. Calypso

Calypso Member

I downloaded an Android phone settings APK and my Sony WF-1000 Connect APK, enable BT in settings, and connect to the desired device. Voila!

20. Inti

Inti Active Member

I thought that the hidden BT was already in the Eversolo