Review and need-to-know Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Nice Monkey, Jun 9, 2023.

1. cestmoi

cestmoi New Member

So if I understand correctly, the upgraded Femto clocks in the master edition are not used for the digital out at all? not even for the usb dac out (in case of a chord qutest or tt2)

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

No, the external DAC is responsible for clock-aligning to the S/PDIF inputs, and it DICTATES the clock on its own USB input (asynchronous, that is, the DAC requests data-packets as it sees fit, regardless of the source feeding it). You are as good with the A6 as you would be with the ME. It will all depend on your external DAC.

octavius likes this.
  3. cestmoi

cestmoi New Member

Thanks for clearing that up

4. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

Dear @Nice Monkey :
    Thank you for this highly informative review and your continuous support!!

Thinking about purchasing a DMP-A6 iwould be interested in the following:
    Most reviews about the DMP-A6 refer to the playback quality from Streaming Services like Tidal etc. Personally i have about 5 TB of music on my NAS Drive and do not use ANY Streaming service at all. I wonder if the DMD-A6 is still a good choice for my needs?

Is there a way to remove all the streaming providers from the main menue and access just the local library directly?

Appreciate your feedback and thoughts!

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am old school and do the same. Almost always play music from my SSD on a USB3 stick (or external HDD). Don´t use NAS anymore but that works fine too. Only use SMB Server activated to update my content. Backups I do offline with my PC (has 4 quick loading docking slots). Streaming is used by me mostly for testing purposes.

That said I still regard the Eversolo the best Music Player around even when not using streaming and/or using external database services like Roon etc.
    You can hardly going wrong getting a A6 of which MCH via HDMI is essential for me.
    In fact my wish-list for Eversolo is almost empty. Left is smooth handling for big numbers of sub-directories and big number of tracks within an album/directory

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    Reelyator likes this.
  6. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

...out of curiosity:
    afaik it is not possible to add Media-Tags to SACD-Iso Files and DSD/DSF´s.

When playing back from SACD-Iso Files on the DMP-A6: Have you managed to get this displayed in a meaningful way:
    - With Track/Title-, Artist-, Album-Info
    - With Coverart?

And for Hybrid SACD´s: How can you select, if the MCH- or the Stereo-Track is used??

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

FYI
    DSD .dsf files can contain a metadata tag (and if they do, it should be id3v2, same format as the .mp3 files)
    DSD .dff are not meant to contain any tag, tagging some software even (correctly, IMO) refuses to add tags to such files
    Regarding the ISO images, since they are the exact copy of the SACD, the metadata, if any, is there; so if it does not show up I can only think of the player not accessing it...

8. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

Has anybody of the A6 Owners here ever tried out SACD Iso´s and can say something about if the metadata (coverart, Track, Title, Album, Artist...) is dispalyed correctly during playback?

9. cestmoi

cestmoi New Member

Iso works, metadata works too

Reelyator likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Confirmed and also lets you selectt Stereo or MCH. This is the optimal way to rip and play SACD.
    Use the Audio key to select the desired playback format.

My total collection is like this with only a very few DSF and DFF exceptions.

Reelyator and Nutul like this.
  11. fahzz

fahzz New Member

Sorry to jump in here, but I have a newbie question.
    How do I download and install Beta updates? Thanks!

12. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

fahzz likes this.
  13. fahzz

fahzz New Member

Next question:

How do I properly eject an external SSD? I want to replace it with an internal SSD. Thanks.

14. Connected to the A6 I assume. I'd power off the A6 and then disconnect the external hard drive.

15. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

There should be an unmount option in Cast/Files somewhere for the external SSD.

16. fahzz

fahzz New Member

17. fahzz

fahzz New Member

That's what I'm looking for but I can't find it. Thanks.

(Sorry I screwed up the response)

18. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Since you'll be doing the physical swap with the A6 powered OFF there is no specifc procedure: power off, remove the external (won't get detected and mounted at next boot) and connect the internal one.
    Power ON. You're done.

19. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Found the unmount option. Under Cast/Files select your drive. The top line should show the space/size of the disc. Immediately to the right of this is an icon which looks like an eraser on lines of text. Press this and you get an unmount and a format option. Note this is not the same as the edit icon which is far right on the same top line.

20. fahzz

fahzz New Member

Thank you both. Discovered that not all commands are available from the iPad app.