Review and need-to-know Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Nice Monkey, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Intro:
    It will next be ported to a few well know Audio/Video forums and probably Futeko. At the moment I am above all in dialog with Zidoo/Eversolo to iron-out a few glitches in the FW (see post #3).
    It is above all written to help decide whether to buy and to find your way around using it once purchased. The streamer is also compared with above all the various Zidoo media players I own, but indirectly also with other brands I also have.

You may like reading this as an introduction written by me for HiFi media players:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ther-knowhow-for-hifi-players-playback.86336/
    Mostly applicable to Eversolo DMP-A6 too.

The review is currently updated to match FW v1.2.50 for DMP-A6 release and Android Eversolo Controller v1.11.37 installed.
    It is highly advised to restart once more manually after any upgrade. I always do this as upgrades are known to pollute the memory a bit. A clean restart brings it back to normal.

As we all use these players in different and personalized ways getting a perfect product for everybody is near impossible but must say this one already covers a vast area.
    Reviewing specific streaming API's, streaming applications and external music databases will not be included by me. The scope and ways to use this box is simply too wide to cover those as a zillion of combinations can be made. The good news here: "there seem to be very few problems with all that".

Reading the manual as a first start
    The Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer comes at the day of release with a full manual in Chinese and English to be downloaded online. This was a pleasant surprise for me.
    Unfortunately I don't see any updates for it yet.

Reporting problems using screenshots:
    Often an image says more than a thousands words. The Front Panel is a good source and a screenshot may help here.
    http://192.168.xx.xx:9529/ZidooControlCenter/getScreenShot
    Change the address above to your players IP and you can take screenshots being available straight on your platform doing so. You next can use it to report on this forum or straight to Eversolo.

The screenshots in the review where all made this way.
    For optimal results turn the brightness up to 100% to take pictures.

Unboxing and HW
    Inside the nice box their is a Quick Start guide, power cable, USB3 Master-Slave cable and a little screwdriver for mounting the optional SSD. Not included is a HDMI cable which I regard a miss as above all playing MCH via HDMI from various sources is one of the main (unique) features of the streamer. The box is surprising quite critical regarding the quality of the cable being used. If getting no sound try swapping the HDMI cable and check if the video output shows a blue screen.

There is neither a remote control as the GUI is really designed to be used with touch control.
    For those who still desire one, a small cheap BTR-12 remote is available as an accessory:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C7C3Y7WW
    https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/infr...control-for-dmp-a6-dmp-a6-master-p-17874.html
    The power button works via IR.

A6 front.jpg

The HW build is excellent and also good looking similar to the Zidoo Neo players. It has no fan and the housing acts as a big heatsink resulting in the total box getting only mildly warm when in use. Looking inside one finds a really nice compact straight single board design almost without using connectors.
    Also connectivity wise all connections for input and output are there inclusive a bay for a SSD up to 4 TByte accessible from the bottom. Both Gen3 and Gen4 SSD's have proven to work.

An USB CD/DVD drive can be connected not only for playback but also for CD Ripping. To my surprise this seems to be popular seen the many questions about it.
    As a test got myself a dirtcheap USB3 CD/DVD drive just for playing around with it a bit. It was found straightaway plugged to the USB3 (audio output) on the player and next starting the CD APP. Also CD Ripping worked without problems and pretty fast. Finding the essential metadata for it only works occasional and using a good program on a PC is recommended. The default Path was found to be //Music/ on the Internal Flash storage. It is reported to even rip DTS-CD's with 5.1 sound but did not try that myself.

Next to HDMI Out and an Ethernet there are SPDIF Inputs and Outputs in Coaxial and Analog versions and obvious the RCA/XLR analog outputs.

A6 back.jpg

There are in total 3 USB3 ports but these all have specific functions. My external HDD Docking Station e.g. works only with the USB3 (otg) host port.
    - The USB-3C is for DAC Input (using the DMP-A6 as an External DAC)
    - The USB3 Host port (OTG) can be used in 2 modes: Transfer to a PC or Connecting an USB drive. The desired mode needs to be selected in setup.
    - The USB3 Host port (Audio Out) is intended for connecting an External DAC to DMP-A6 which seems to be quite popular. But it can be used for other general purposes too. Used it myself for testing a CD/DVD drive.

The HW does not include a DSP "Digital Sound Processor" chip but later FW added a really excellent and extensive featured SW based equalizer. It should meet the demand of even most demanding users.

The integrated Digital Filters may be causing some confusion as these are advertised as meeting personal preferences which may put you on the wrong foot making you think it is an equalizer.
    These in reality are DAC integrated PCM and DSD filters working in the frequency spectrum above 20 kHz and normally as such inaudible. They are meant specifically to filter undesired side-effects of the DAC conversion which some persons may be sensitive too. This mostly in form of fatigue listening for longer periods via a headset. In most cases the defaults will be just fine but they can be set as desired. You may hardly hear any difference or hear no difference at all which is very normal.

BT Output is not mentioned and kept a hidden feature (for unknown reasons)
    Installing the small Settings Shortcut_1.0_apkcombo.com.apk adds access to Android Settings.
    There BT setup can be found to pair a set of speakers or headphones via BT. Use it myself so it works for sure.

Master Gold Edition
    There is also a Master Gold Edition being sold. It uses dual top class Accusilicon Femto crystals and OPA1612 op-amps replacing the OPA1642 used for the regular DMP-A6. Next to this a few cosmetic changes are made to reflect the special gold status.

Gold.jpg

These are valid improvements but coming with a hefty increased price tag.
    https://www.audiophonics.fr/
    A seller of both editions confirmed both versions are actually made by Eversolo/Zidoo. For me personally the changes are too small to justify the premium price. It will be challenging to hear the improved sound in practice (could not try myself). The DMP-A6 included DAC is very close to the DAC-Z6.

The differences e.g. between Eversolo DAC-Z6 and DAC-Z8 are more significant including additional swapping the 2x ES9038Q2M for the ES9038 PRO version and having more advanced analog circuitry.

HW restrictions and need to know player limitations
    These may be (very) relevant when getting this player with a certain specific setup/use in mind:
    - Having no HW support for WOL (Wake On LAN) the box can only be switched on using that big/lighted Front Panel button. Switching it off can also be done using the APP. You can get the remote control accessory or program a suitable IR remote for power on.
    - What I am really missing is provisions similar to those found on Eversolo DAC's and also Zidoo Neo class players for a headset. There is no headset amp with matching front plug integrated. But BT can be used by adding a HiFi BT dongle or just enabling the hidden Android Setup for it.
    - Outputs can be used only specific by dedicated Port selection and hence can't be used concurrently. For me that is a missed opportunity as many similar to me like them to work all in parallel. Most audio equipment offers parallel operation without any limitations.
    - Another restriction applies for Inputs as all digital input ports will only output to the DAC Analog outputs. No way to direct USB, SPDIF or BT Inputs to the HDMI output taking advantage of the special (ultra stable) DOH chips. This potentially could result in the AMP producing improved sound for those sources. Neither using SPDIF optical input from a TV for output via an external USB DAC is possible (only the internal DAC can be used that way).
    - Like with most DAC's the SPDIF Analog RCA and Toslink Inputs go straight into the ESS DAC not taking advantage of the XMOS intermediate flow processor/stabilizer. With Master Edition this path will neither take advantage of those fancy femtoclocks.
    - The HDMI output for DSD via HDMI is restricted to DSD64. Using higher resolution 2CH tracks can still be played via HDMI but will be converged to PCM 192.4 kHz at 24-bit automatically. RCA/XLR analog DAC Output on the other hand will go up all the way to Native DSD512.
    This might be due to using these DOH chips? For me not a big issue as HDMI DSD is used for MCH SACD albums only which are restricted to DSD64 (implicit SACD disc size limitation).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024 at 5:24 PM
  2. Nice Monkey

- The MQA decoding + rendering is done by the XMOS chip which next feeds the internal DAC. Hence MQA processing is not available via HDMI, SPDIF nor USB unless minimal rendering can be done by the External DAC itself. The MQA capability 'full decoding/rendering only' of the External DAC needs to be configured correctly in setup.
    The DMP-A6 does the MQA decoding to USB when set to "rendering only". The DAC receives the audio then pré-decoded hence the purple light shown when setup like that.

How does it sound?
    There is nothing wrong with the sound it produces either via HDMI or via the integrated DAC.
    Use HDMI with MCH for FLAC, DTS-CD and SACD albums. These all sound just great. It seems the DOH chips plus ultra stable clocking just does the job right. The excellent sound via HDMI and the Internal HiFi DAC is hardly a surprise for owners of Zidoo media players.
    You can be assured this one does a similar excellent job often beating DAC's in high price classes.

For 2CH/Stereo DAC output I position the SQ close to Zidoo UHD3000 (UHD5000) & Zidoo Neo S but slightly below Zidoo Neo Alpha and Zidoo Neo X. The HDMI output SQ is at least similar to those last two but in fact may even beat them there. Be aware all differences are small and only perceived on a good setup and matching source album material.

One can find multiple reviews both listening and technical measuring this important aspect of the streamer. They all agree the sound is outstanding and offers an excellent price/performance ratio above all in this price class below € 1.000,- going price. Matching standalone DAC's all costs at least the same. Reading this forum one can conclude easily it is attracting customers having audio components in the high(er) market segment.
    Will compare with the A8 with the next update as a good friend of mine just purchased that one.

The outstanding control and GUI
    The control is done via the LCD Front Panel and/or Eversolo Controller APP.
    https://www.eversolo.com/controlapp/index.html
    The 6 inch front panel is an upgrade/change from the 5 inch OLED found on the Neo models and its brightness now can be adjusted. The additional 1 inch width is used very nicely graphically and for additional direct controls on the right. On the top left status bar various icons show the actual status of various selections. These also can be used individually to make some direct changes.

Main low.jpg Player low.jpg Player MCH SACD ISO low.jpg

The GUI of the local music player APP is a total replacement of MP on the Zidoo models and forms a huge improvement. It now has become a lot more intuitive and easier to use. The command response either using the front panel or the Eversolo APP in general is good with a very few exceptions. There are IOS and Android based APP versions which even can be used concurrently if desired (or multiple).

Next to using the Controller APP directly it is also possible to put it in a cloning mode which copies the front panel to the remote screen 1:1 including full functional touch control. It is called Cast here but I would prefer Clone as it is really bi-directional supporting press and swipe actions. Obviously using this mode any action on the front panel including full setup can now be done also remotely. Some options like installing bundled APP's and File Browser editing are only available via the Front Panel or indirect using the Cast mode.
    As an example: Use Cast mode => File Browser => Select Drive => Select Operation => Unmount/Format. A bit hidden features.
    Cast is also essential after installing streaming APP's as these can be controlled remotely in this mode conveniently too.

The main player screen can be changed to multiple theme views which all are really gorgeous. They can be accessed by an icon on the Top/Right. The "i" view shows the music player which got multiple themes. Currently there are 5 themes, with poster display differences as can be seen above plus 2 "Text Only" views. The last 2 enable reading Title + Artist at a viewing distance. Al themes are selectable not only in setup but can also be rotated by a simple swipe.

Next there are 2 different "VU meter views" for the VU meter themes. The last picture depicts the "Full VU meter" view with one of the 4 VU meters themes. Next to this there are also 4 spectrum meter themes to be chosen from.

VU 2.png VU 3.png VU 1 full.png

Also VU meters and Spectrum meters can all be swiped. The last choice is reverting back to the music player screen. Remember you can get and do all the same using the cast feature on the Android or IOS APP.

A screensaver is always active and shows a few very good looking clocks selectable via setup.
    The analog clock even transits nicely the time & date display half's left/right every 5 minutes.

Clock Analog.jpg Clock + date.png Clock old.png

The setting ranges between 5m and 2h (no off). Any action during this interval will reset the timer. For the very cautious of the TTL (Time to Live) regarding the LCD panel; there is an option to use a full black screen as the screensaver. A more common small floating clock or logo would have been my choice to reach this goal.

Music streaming services
    This excellent sounding streamer includes many unique and advanced functions above all in the area of streaming API services, streaming APP's and external Music Database services.
    Many are bundled and can be installed by just clicking on the matching Icon under APP's.
    Others APK's often can be sideloaded additionally:
    - To sideload an app, download the APK, then type your DMP-A6 IP address in your browser using port 18888 i.e. 192.168.x.x:18888
    - Copy the APK to any folder and use "Cast Mode" File browser to install it manually by just clicking on it.
    The list of supported/bundled services is still growing and kept updated on this forum by myself. Unique is that this streamer not only does 2CH via the DAC but also 2CH/MCH via HDMI in combination with some of these services. Roon MCH support as implemented is fairly unique but proven to work.

It is essential to understand that there are 2 different ways streaming services can be implemented:
    1) Tidal, Qobuz, Highresaudio, Amazon, Internet Radio work via a Native API (Application Program Interface) hence these will be using the DMP-A6 GUI and player for control similar to local content.
    2) Apple Music, KKbox, Deezer, Spotify and Napster in contrary are full third-party applications. Using that method can make the content richer but can only be controlled in the Eversolo Controller APP screen cast mode (or using the Front Panel directly). Here also comes the EOS (Eversolo Original Sampling-rate) engine into play. EOS intercepts the default Android I/O interface to enable HiFi sound with APP's offering these. It must explicitly be enabled in setup to operate (disable it when an APP gives problems producing sound).
    Mostly judged on the information and comments found on this forum, I only can conclude that this part is well supported. Only very few mostly small issues remain for some very specific setups.
    The total number of possibilities and choices of use is really impressive and already earned its place in this market section. You may call it a hot product.

Client/server database services
    Integration with Client/Server based external DataBase services which use a Client App on the player connecting via the Internet to a remote matching server. Both streaming and local sources can be managed using various external services like Roon, Emby, Jellyfin, Plex, Spotify Connect, Tidal Connect, etc. Some support multiple sources but others won't. Streaming providers may also offer a database service which can be a bit confusing at first.

These database services offer proven advanced and reliable library services accessible by multiple players being stationary or mobile. As long the player is a supported/certified platform it should integrate seamless regardless the brand or model. In most cases these service aren't exactly for free (e.g. Roon) but still quite popular seen the many posts and questions about them on this forum.

Using the local music player
    The local music player is integrated to the brand new GUI but under the hood I judge the music player and music library share a lot with the good old Zidoo music player equivalent. This may be a surprise for some? It for sure was for me. It is not regarded negative in any way. Music player got many positive changes over time and is considered stable and functional enough by me as-is.

Using the Eversolo Controller APP one can swipe the Music player view left for detailed title information and right to get the lyrics of the song when found.
    The Title view looks still a bit meager to me. I would have expected to see detailed tag information here.

On the Lyrics view a new [A] icon shows up top right here. This gives acces to editing the title and artist to lookup the lyrics manually. Track numbers in titles are ignored and don't need to be removed. Remark: Touching any area outside the pop-up window will bring you back!

The player isn't totally bug-free, see the specific issues found here at the end of the review. It probably never will be as there are simply too many ways the player can be used. Eversolo offers excellent support reading all comment, bug reports and requests.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    JC DeSch likes this.
  3. Nice Monkey

Using the Eversolo local DataBase Library
    A bit hidden are the specific setup options for the player plus library:
    The Music button on the Eversolo Conroller brings you straight into the Database Library but doing so on the Front Panel (or using Cast) brings you to the Index view!
    On this view there are icons to bring you to that same Library or to Library/Play Setup.
    Cast Mode (Main Menu) => Music => Index (>>mid left) => Setup (top right) => (Play, Scan, Display and General setup sections).

Music Index view.png Music Setup Scan.png Music Setup General.png

Under general are the essential backup/restore, clear cache and reset for the library found.
    Consider this a bit hidden myself and should be moved to regular setup I think.

The Library functionality still runs behind regarding functionality compared with MP on Zido0 media players. I am still missing some main features:
    1) The folder view: showing the covers of the folders and titels during browsing. This is used by me by preference above scrolling or searching Title/Track, Artist and Album views as it goes faster and uses the sorting as I organized my collection for years. My main split e.g. is for Album type: CD, MP3, DTS-CD, SACD which is not foreseen at all. Secondary is split in genres but a lot less types than the library system suggests. Also tagging the albums accordingly would be a huge job unless it could be done bulk wise.
    2) The Artist-Album view: this shows only the artist in the total library with dedicated artist albums. To distinguish this the MP of Zidoo had a configurable limit set for the minimum number of titles matched with each artist. For those having large collections of various natures this reduces the number of artists showed enormously.

In practice currently only use the database for my CD collection myself and do other type album selections using the filebrowser. For a decent performance it is essential to keep the total number of subfolders and tracks maximum in the 100 to 200 range.

Conclusion & positioning:
    This is a sophisticated and outstanding Music Streamer coming pre-loaded with many popular streaming services. It supports both access via API's or APP's where made available via the providers. What is further unique is that it combines these services where possible with integration to external library services like Roon, Plex etc. Eversolo for sure tries to get the best out of every possible combination and it looks to me that there are surprising few problems with all this.

The GUI and controls are wel developed and mostly intuitive to be used. Also this part is well implemented. There are also many nice features being build-in like the gorgeous VU meters.

To my surprise the high quality integrated DAC is ignored by quite a few and connecting an external DAC to it is quite popular. Getting these to work above all with DSD is a challenge which I have seen also with most other products supporting USB attached DAC's. There are many unique USB DAC implementations as there is no standard for this and even DoP (DSD over PCM) is not a real standard. I guess this will remain work in progress for a long time.
    The quality of this excellent streamer as a whole is probably the reason it attracts customer currently using (very) expensive alternatives for both the streamer and DAC. No surprise it is sold out regularly as you can hardly go wrong here. I only recommend taking into account the HW-limitations mentioned as these can be conflictive with specific setups planned for.

What makes this streamer also unique is output in 2CH/MCH for both PCM and DSD via the HDMI interface. The quality of the sound produced vis HDMI may in fact give a new boost to your HT Amplifier/setup. The dedicated HW components for HDMI output selected really do an excellent job. For those not used to listening to MCH music really should give it a try. Don't forget those occasionally really outstanding Quad LP recordings of the 70's and 80's now available from mastertapes on various digital albums.

Using it as a mere music player with prime focus on the Local Player and Library Database is possible but is in a different state of development compared with streaming. Gradual also this aspect is getting on a higher plan.

A restriction for me is that is a pure music player and not a media player. Having a decent collection of DVD-Audio and BD Pure Audio albums (next to some excellent concert type of albums) need to switch to one of my media players occasional for listening to my full collection that way.
    XRECODE3 is a trusty friend here again. Straight from DVD-Audio ISO ==> FLAC tracks.
    This as a bypass.

Attention points and known problems:
    Factory reset:
    1. While DMP-A6 is in the power-off state, use a fine needle to press and hold the restore button at the back of the device, then press the knob on front panel to power on.
    2. Once the device enters Android Recovery mode upon startup, you can release the needle.
    This will bring you to various recovery options.

Optional additional HW:

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/808.html
    This little unit may in fact relieve a few HW limitations. Above all those looking for I2S output and/or MQA with external DAC's.

Installing a 3rd party Linear PSU:
    https://www.beatechnik.com/lps-a6
    I have the impression that above all the lows are more precise with the Linear PSU. This the most using HDMI with MCH but (maybe) also for DAC output. The difference between DAC Analog out and HDMI out could be also somewhat smaller? This for standard good quality albums including DTS-CD. Did not really try SACD yet. For sure as subjective as hell but I am sure there is no negative impact anywhere.
    The update comes with a 5V/12V cable replacement made of silver (confirmed). Seen the extreme short length it must be regarded symbolic.
    Oh yes a small warning: All Zidoo PSU's are full range 100V-240V but the Beatechnik has a classical transformer setup. Ranges must be selected 100V-120V and 200V-240V which is hardwired when leaving the factory!

1) Eversolo Controller (first time use)
    The APP works fine once installed correctly. What is clearly missing (similar on Zidoo media players) is a first time installation awareness. When trying to add the DMP-A6 first time the APP starts to look for an connected player, this will time out relative long and next goes to an error report. Only then a nice guide will show up how to add a new device.

2) The SSD installation
    It looks like all currently sold SSD's matching the requirements are supported.
    - Some may not show initially as "unknown device" and hence won't be offered to be formatted. The bypass is to do this on a PC prior to installation.
    - A thermal pad + heatsink seems not to be essential. If you still want to add one as I did myself then be sure it is maximum 3 mm thick!

3) Connecting an optional external USB CD/DVD-Drive
    One needs to use firmware v1.2.10 or above for good drive compatibility.
    Problems with finding metadata for Multi-CD albums and playing Enhanced CD's remain to be solved.

4) Connecting an optional external DAC via USB
    Not all DAC's are found and working including some (very) expensive models. There are also (what I call) nuisance calls of only DoP working for DSD and not always Native DSD (effective the same DSD sound). Also the exotic DSD rates DSD256 and DSD512 won't always play as expected. This is due to implementation differences as there is no real standard for this interface. All products I have seen struggle with this.

6) Using the local File Explorer and Music Player
    - The File Explorer latency opening (very) large directories with 100's of entries can be quite annoying. Creating playlists for big album/collection folders with 100+ tracks takes even more time
    As an indication take: "folder load 1-2 seconds" & "playlist generation 4-5 seconds" per 100 entries. It is possible to re-organize them into smaller folders reducing the show-up time but hey I like how it is now and working fine with other players I do own.
    Starting play of (very) large albums/collections simply will take too long (e.g. up to 2 minutes with Top 2000 collections). Breaking up these albums in smaller lots is a bypass.
    Starting with FW v1.1.70 a limit to 200 tracks seem to be implemented for some features?

- The wrong Bit-Depth is reported (32-bit) playing DTS-CD and lossy formats like MP3.

- The wrong title Bit-Rate is reported with lossy formats like MP3. It seems to be done by calculating the bitrate by filesize/duration which obviously includes overhead and above all ID3# TAGs. This results in very odd bitrates (not being 48, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, 320) above all at lower rates. For lossless it is wrong too here due to the compression of e.g. FLAC reducing rates around 40%.

- The File Explorer does not scroll long track names using Eversolo Controller and as the APP does neither support landscape mode it is often guessing what will be played. Landscape mode will improve it a lot.

- The File Explorer sort selection is not sticky after a re-start of using Eversolo Controller

7) M3U type playlists work when the commonly used relative path is used but they are not imported into the Database Library yet.

Comment are as always very welcome.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    JtagPabb1e, JC DeSch, Stelian and 2 others like this.
  4. Raptor F22

Raptor F22 New Member

Cannot get any sound from HDMI connection. Dac shows it’s connected but no sound. Tried connecting to marantz av7701 and an Smsl do200 dac with no luck

5. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

4) Using the local File Explorer and Music Player
    - Using big collections with large folders (several 100 albums) and large albums (over 2000 tracks) can be (very) slow

The above is a concern i have over 3000 albums i have a feeling when i recieve this next week i will not be keeping.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Hmm - this is one of the biggest problems for me - I have 9,726 albums, 124,253 tracks in my library and I'm afraid that although it technically doesn't fall over, the database and interface certainly struggles with a big library.

For whole house I use Logitech Squeezebox (or LMS as it is now) which in my opinion is the best server client solution available (and of course, in true Logitech tradition, discontinued) and I use Linn DS for critical stereo listening.

The A6 is astonishing for High resolution/multi channel Audio and I think that will be its resting place for me, but for a large library such as yours and mine, at the moment, it needs a lot of work.

rodry, Spizz and gadgetman like this.
  7. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

I have been using LMS for the past 10- years using a rasperry pi 3 and nothing comes close to this, im concerned about the limitations and overall beta testing that we are now involve with,will take so long to match LMS i just dont dont think will be possible.
    I have a Zidoo 1000 pro and they advertise full menu playback which is a lie does not and have no intentions of improving. I think i will cancel my order i do not have a good vive on this product despie the glowing reviews, i suspect not been tested fully.

8. multisport4me

multisport4me Member

Thanks for stopping by.

9. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Thousands of tracks, at it’s current specs are we expecting too much of the A6 than it’s promised to do? It can do many different stuffs already, cheap.

It’s a streamer and for that it’s doing it almost flawlessely, the main reason I’m buying this. Physical file support is a bonus, I deleted almost all of my CD rips since my music streaming service offer CD quality lossless tracks (and hi-res), now I use those space for my BD rips not much but it helps. I’m looking into DSD / SACD files now, only those have the capability to beat streaming quality but I reckon I won’t have more than a few hundreds tracks.

10. Xyzzy

Xyzzy Member

I agree. The A6 almost does more than any streamer/dac at any price point, yet people still feel the need to express disappointment that it can't do "everything".

Bonzo likes this.
  11. Nice Monkey

@Markswift2003 @Xyzzy @gadgetman
    It is important to keep this well in perspective: The absolute number of albums is not a real problem it seems? Even scraping goes pretty fast. It is much more about how these are organized. Updated the text to describe things more accurate/detailed.

The File Explorer latency with (very) large directories with 100's of entries being opened is (a bit) annoying but not a huge problem (several seconds).

Opening (very) large albums/collections simply will take too long (up to over a minute with Top 2000+ collections). My guess that is related to gapless processing (gapless could be limited to <100 as an option?).
    Breaking up these albums into smaller lots is a bypass obviously. Forwarded an example to Zidoo for diagnosis.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    neoitata likes this.
  12. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It is when you have 9,726 of them :D

The big problem is how the database is accessed and cached - for example, trying to view Albums, because of the large number of them, I'm only presented with # through A and to get to B I need to scroll to the end of A. Then B is added. Go to the end of B and you get C etc etc. Very tedious.

Also, on each tranch the list oddly repeats, so by the time you're at C you have #A#ABABC#C:

upload_2023-6-11_12-45-47.png upload_2023-6-11_12-45-55.png
    Scraping isn't bad - All my files are tagged and scraping the entire library takes maybe 3-4 hours (where LMS and Linn are maybe 2-3 hours).

rodry likes this.
  13. Nice Monkey

No idea how many albums I actually have in all formats?
    Hardly use the database myself at the moment. Just saw the artists pictures found often did not match but yes were part of my collection.
    I need also the album-artist limiter back (have minimum set to 8).

Will look at the effective use of the database after the next update and will add initial comment on it then.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
  14. Nice Monkey

Hhhmm must be getting old. Playing some SACD saw the icon also on the Adroid Eversolo Controller APP now.
    Removed it from the list as suggested by you.

Several other updates/expansions made. Advanced to 'early draft".

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    Dfv8 and Markswift2003 like this.
  15. neoitata

neoitata Member

I have also several thousand albums on my HDD, divided by Artist folders and don't have any problem at all read/playing them.

16. Nice Monkey

What I see that it all depends how the file/directory structure used is organized. The absolute number of albums and titles seems not to be a problem.
    Personally play also large collections next to albums. Most will be using streaming services for that type of listening today. Will be moving somewhat into that direction too.

We all use these players in different ways. ;)

neoitata likes this.
  17. pnjunction

pnjunction Member

Considering scanning big album collections. Mine is not so big, no more than
    500 albums, mostly flacs, and strange bug was detected. Opening artist page in the library
    I can't see all his/her/their albums listed. For example, of several J.M.Jarre albums i see
    only one. But searching for the JMJ, i can see and play all his albums available.

18. neoitata

neoitata Member

Seems to me that You have not the same ID tag for all albums same artist. Not the same artist name on all albums.
    Maybe try to check this first.
    Have similar problem and find it in ID Tag.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  19. Nice Monkey

Yes would like to see all ID Tag fields being displayed in the info view plus good editing features inclusive automatic lookup.

20. pnjunction

pnjunction Member

What do you mean by ID Tag? All metadata from cue file?