CD Drive for ripping/playing

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by B0bs4g3t, Jun 3, 2023.

1. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

It may not be an easy fix but I hope that Eversolo will at least confirm that it is not a hardware issue.

Heinz likes this.
  2. Heinz

Heinz New Member

I have now bought the second external CD drive -this time additionally with power supply-, but each drive works only the 1st time, and then never again.
    What is going on EVERSOLO.
    Please comment!!!!
    Heinz

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Is this for playing or also for ripping?

It has their attention for sure:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/review-and-positioning-dmp-a6-streamer-preliminary.95817/
    Zidoo confirmed me working on my list included.

It would be nice for the interim to get a list of players confirmed to be working flawless. At least those eager to get one can then buy one of those.
    I am tempted to buy a cheap one myself but want to be sure it then works as it is mainly for playing around with it a bit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    Saman Edirisinghe likes this.
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Hmm, this sounds utterly weird... Have you tried to reboot the player? It could be the device gets (mistakenly) unmounted after the playback (or the ripping) finishes; preventing the unit itself to detect it; while after a reboot you should find yourself in the same situation after using the drive for the very first time... Not saying this should be the right behavior, but confirming / negating this could help the developers to locate the problem.

5. Heinz

Heinz New Member

Yes rebooted and reinstalled X-times, it doesnt match once more.
    Im not happy :(

6. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

IMG_5639.jpeg 10 years old external Blu-ray writer LG BE14NU40 works like a charm!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    ammar11 likes this.
  7. Heinz

Heinz New Member

OK, I'll try to get one :) Thanks.

8. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

Although there may be an electronic variable between different CD drives that can explain their unstable interface with the A6, searching for a drive that will rip CDs is not a practical solution for the consumer. The underlying problem is clearly with either the A6 firmware or hardware, and Eversolo should at least issue a preliminary comment to the Forum.

vtr65 likes this.
  9. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I totally agree although I know there will be a gentleman who will take everyone to task, for saying what you said. To be honest it's one of the Key reason I bought DMP-6 and although I live the other features I was hoping that I could my album collection on the system itself. Let's hope that this gets addressed in the next update.

10. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

I think there is mostly an under-powering issue for the drives that being powered over USB. And to have an higher success possibility, I strongly recommending to use CD(DVD,BD) drives with own external power source. If you want to try USB powered drive, make sure to use an USB cable as short as possible. There are usb cables available with two usb-A connectors, one for power and data, another for auxiliary usb power.

11. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

Possibly, but it is still the A6's problem. I have now tried 6 different drives and each spins happily away but not one is recognized by the A6 ("No Disc"). I have not tried a CD, DVD, BD drive.

12. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I have all my CDs ripped with my computer many years ago and never bought any CDs since. I'm not even listening to my rips anymore, the music services provides the same or superior quality. Except maybe SACD/DTS-CD/DVD-A/BD-A/DSD which I never owned.

13. Nice Monkey

Only can say currently regard this problem the most disturbing one pending. The good news is it affects only a small percentage of owners. As it is being advertised and attracts specific customers it should be solved asap for sure.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  14. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

Just right my case! Normally I have just tried this function, and it worked.

15. Heinz

Heinz New Member

As I wrote above, I also have a drive with external power supply. Work but exactly the same as the others - so unsatisfactory only 1X.

16. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

We have purchased several different types of CD/DVD drives, let's see what happened

Joao Correa, wcseow and Nice Monkey like this.
  17. mirror

Okay, in some case I believe this is due to the issue of insufficient power supply to the USB. The solution is to use a dual ended USB cable, USB OTG and USB AUDIO OUT port can be used same time.
    usb.jpg

18. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Told ya.

19. Nice Monkey

These are USB3 ports and should deliver 800 mA each. If not and being only 500 mA (=USB2) this should be stated specifically in specifications.

Most recent drives are specified for USB3.

20. mirror

In fact, the current of USB OTG exceeds 1A, but the working current of many CD/DVD drives exceeds 1.6A

RichM and Nice Monkey like this.