Zidoo NEO α (Alpha) Signature Edition / Flagship 2022.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, May 30, 2022.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Nothing wrong with your nice setup. :cool:

I also found the better the DAC used the smaller the difference. PCM is apparently a lot more critical there. The difference between 2 CH DSD/PCM via via my Onkyo using HDMI is a lot bigger than playing DSD/PCM via my Neo X with analog output with that same AMP. :rolleyes:

I do listen to SACD mostly in 5.1 if both are available. ;)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  2. singuser

singuser New Member

Which sounds better to your ears - the former or the latter?

My Marantz 8805A - which is actually the 8805 which has been upgraded to the "A" version - has pretty good dacs (AKM AK4490 32-Bit/192kHz) which have been implemented quite well. So that doesn't necessarily explain why DSD direct and D2P sound no different to my ears in my setup. Also, my comments are specifically on SACD 5.1 MCH and not stereo.

3. Nice Monkey

In 2CH then Neo X sounds clearly better than my Onkyo both in DSD and PCM but the difference between both modes with Neo X is minimal.
    Using 5CH (but a lot more 2CH) via HDMI then DSD sounds a lot better with Onkyo.

4. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Any idea of price and shop availability yet?

gymnos likes this.
  5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Will any of the NEO or UHD models compete with a Z1000 Pro plus (say) a Gustard X-16? I do really think we are now beyond the time and so can demand an A-B test of the so called HiFi models are pitched against lower cost Zidoos with decent but not overly expensive standalone DACS. Otherwise what I read (in my opinion) about these HiFi models is 100% total tosh! Sorry if this upsets the Mods and/or others who are pushing these expensive Zidoos

6. Nice Monkey

If anybody provides me (temporary) with a Gustard then will test it for sure. :D
    Subjective like hell obviously but will invite friend's for several judgements. :rolleyes:

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

These high end boxes aren't about cobbling together bits of kit, they're for people who want a well engineered single device sitting in their rack with a decent circuitry sitting behind a beautifully milled aluminium facia and OLED display.

The Alpha is a very nice box and although the chassis isn't the battleship aluminium slabs of the Neo S, it's a lovely contemporary design with beautiful aesthetics. Alongside decent electronics and engineering inside, I think that's very important at this level.

Not everyone's cup of tea I agree, but for those who are looking for a bit of extra elegance, it's a good choice.

As long as MP7 gets a bit more attention of course....

Mark Boddy likes this.
  8. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

A comparison table specially for ZX9 maybe interesting for the majority of us!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  9. xskip

xskip Active Member

Zidoo Neo Alpha Unboxing & Overview | Best 4K HiFi Media Player & DAC for Home Theater 2022? via Techno Dad

gymnos likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Wow he mentions a whopping $3,000 price tag for Zidoo α . That is hefty.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  11. mirak

mirak Member

That's the price of the Zappiti Signature.
    At that time this french unit should not exceed the half of this cost !
    The NEO A is better built but not enough to explain this cost even in our economic Covid condition.

12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Lol - not you @Nice Monkey - I'd want something independent. If you are serious about this though, I would suggest you, Mark or Zidoo themselves send one or two appropriate Zidoos to amirm, known as Amir at: - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-streamers-servers-players-audio-interface.8/ He's a rock solid reviewer, non subjective and someone who many regard as the number one tester of DACs.

I've never understood this philosophy but understand that certain people have money to waste and their thinking is blind sided by aesthetics rather than sound quality - usually these people have things called "Cinema Rooms" lol! You have to remember that all these expensive Zidoos have exactly the same SOC so until I read something about their Video and Sound Quality being better than the lower priced models, then I'll be giving them a miss, as I suspect many will too.

Just one thing though if I may ask please - will MP7 be made available in due course to all players or just the HiFi models?

13. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Price is over the expectations and hard to pay for such device, not too far from smaller brother Z9X unless you use it for professional purpose.

14. Nice Monkey

Visited ISE2020 in Barcelona this year. On a stand they had a very nice Naim/Focal demo room with Focal speakers all around with demos of Atmos movies. Incredible sound. The AMP did room correction including phase alignment for all speakers. Asked just the price of that AMP used and the answer was € 20,000 which apparently some people just buy. There is a very small percentage of persons in this world with just too much money to spend.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  15. autocrat

autocrat New Member

Hard pass at that price if true, there are streamers for that price with a much better user experience. If the music player is the same as the UHD3000 then it's broken out of the box.

gymnos likes this.
  16. gymnos

gymnos Member

I couldn´t agree more with you.

IMHO this player should be cheaper than Neo X.

17. Nice Monkey

Please comment here and correct me where I am wrong:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...onveniences-and-suggested-improvements.93771/
    Add what you think must be improved please. It is already a fairly long list with some more complex items on it to solve.

Lots of MP6 things one can get to work knowing how the thing actually works. It's like a quest but more work was done on it than what I saw myself before digging deeper into matters .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  18. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Exactly, this Zidoo NEO Aplha is focusing mostly professional and expensive demand. About Focal & Naim there are celebrating and showing 10th anniversary edition. A real fantastic cooperation. I'm in love with premium lines of Focal speakers which are in my future point of view.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  19. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Focal speakers are awesome - I don't think I've ever heard anything as transparent as a set of Focal near field monitors and funnily enough, partnered with Naim.

I chose my PMCs after hearing some in a Munro Acoustics tuned dubbing studio deep in the bowels of the BBC driven by some meaty Brystons - phenomenal. But Focals are beautifully musical speakers.

Visconti12 likes this.
  20. Nice Monkey

It is advertised with explicit 18 TByte support. Still have my doubts about HDD >> 17.6 TByte myself in combination with Android formatted NTFS.
    EXT4 no idea how that one works?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022