Zidoo NEO α (Alpha) Signature Edition / Flagship 2022.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, May 30, 2022.

1. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Here are 3 videos made with the collaboration of Sledgehamma.

This is the complete test of the Zidoo Neo Alpha in 3 parts

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

See you soon

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  2. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Visconti12 and gymnos like this.
  3. run51

run51 New Member

Hello

I have question.
    When i play ISO SACD how to switch quickly Between 2.0 or 5.1 tracks?

thanks

4. Mark Kramer

Mark Kramer New Member

Is it me, or is my new Zidoo Neo Alpha the greatest lemon I ever bought?
    The Poster Wall is dismal. It only scrapes names 'intelligently', and gets them wrong over half the time. This issue is compounded by the fact that it cannot just display by real filename and/or folder. Nor can it skip certain words from being scraped (like I have dvd movies with 'REGADED' in the title, that need not have that word processed).

The Neo Alpha does not upscale! It showed a 720p movie just 'as is', on a 4K screen. So ridiculous for an alleged high-end media player.

Looks like my nVidia Shield Pro, ten times cheaper, with Kodi, does a much better job at everything: upscaling, library functions, and even seems to have a more powerful graphics chip.

The Neo Alpha is a disgrace, really. And at nearly 3,000 euros, practically a scam, really.

5. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

You're asking a function which Zidoo doesn't deliver and not listed in the specs, whatever price of the media player!

6. Mark Kramer

Mark Kramer New Member

Upscaling is listed in the specs, but apparently only from 1080p -> 4K. Whereas even the cheapest media players upscale everything. And even the used GPU is weak, and keep stuttering on higher-bitrate movies. People should stay the hell away from this lemon.

7. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

It's a pity such expensive device fails in the standards. On the other hand all I can say about its smaller brother Z9X is great!!

Mark Kramer likes this.
  8. Mark Kramer

Mark Kramer New Member

Especially the movie judder is unacceptable. I paid 3,000 euros for a device that essentially can't play back movies properly! Maybe I should have done a better GPU chip sets comparison, but comparing things on paper is hard, and in a certain price range, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect one's device to work as advertised. What this means, is that I now have to go and few a better media player for video. Unless Zidoo ever brings out a new firmware that fixes certain things. But it looks like the company itself has already given up on their 'flagship' media player.

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Of course the Alpha can upscale 720p.

The highest bitrate I've tested successfully is 400Mbps. These players have no problem at all standard commercially used bitrates in any UHD rips/remuxes.

10. Mark Kramer

Mark Kramer New Member

Highest bitrate I tested was around 450 Mbps; after that, the Neo starts having trouble -- which is not unreasonable, of course. However, also tried it on a ca. 80 Mbps denoised UHD Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets movie, and there was distinct judder (even in spots where bitrate doesn't exceed 35 Mbps: which is well witthin the commerial standard). What's causing it? Weak GPU? Weak CPU maybe? Or can this be solved with a firmware upgrade?

As for upscaling 720p, doesn't do that for me. Neo Alpha offers 1080p -> 4K upscaling, but appears to ignore 720p (and yes, I still have series in 720p).

11. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

The Neo has no problems upscaling 720p material to 1080p or 2160p.
    What are your video settings? Did you use the recommended ones (see sticky thread from Mark).
    The stuttering you described sounds like a network problem or are you playing them back locally? Can you describe your setup in more detail?
    Has nothing to do with weak CPU or GPU.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  12. b4bylon

b4bylon New Member

Hello, i have a zidoo neo alpha and i want to install netflix or streamio, anyone can help me?