Zidoo NEO α (Alpha) Signature Edition / Flagship 2022.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, May 30, 2022.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The idea of a swappable motherboard is in fact not bad at all. It is only a small part of the total design costs for HiFi models. Most Zidoo models in fact use the same motherboard but not so with the Neo models.

All Neo models are using an unique motherboard combining some other logic with the main SOC. Neo Alpha combined the mainboard with the DAC, Neo X with part of the Linear PSU's and Neo S for all circuit logic apart from the PSU's.

So maybe the next Neo U(pgradable) or Neo M(odular) model? The board should best be pluggable from the back as many connectors are typically integrated with the SOC. You never know. It is definitely feasible.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

if what sledgehammer states about the Realtek sdk is true, they hold too many cards and that should be negotiable on the os upgrade support. That is crazy with the way technology progresses and android being based as open as they are as an OS in general. Yes modular upgradability works for the highest niche markets of video scalers and processors like storm , trinov, and even denon/marantz to some extent. If that means the casing gets taller due to the modular aspects of it so be it. If they are going after those who buy these products, that seems like a destined, yet sensible step to further their reach and give buyers some peace of mind on their investment. No doubt in zidoo from a software level of support but this isn't a $250 dollar z9x by any stretch...yet it shares the same soc at $3000!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  3. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

4. Nice Monkey

For the FW included with these players the OS version is mostly irrelevant. But for adding your own stuff and standard interfaces it may make a difference for sure.

That B-version is welcome but don't expect too much from it. Some fixes and small improvements like HDMI 2.1 ports.

5. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

6. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

as a player primarily for music, i dont think it matters that much (assume os is already stable w no major bug unfixed)

7. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

will be interested to know if neo will have better picture quality compared to z9x n uhd3000 too.

8. mirak

mirak Member

Why so ?
    I did not notice any difference concerning image quality between Neo X and Z9X.

With my old eyes..;)

9. Nice Monkey

Not that I noticed. The picture is the same and sound at first impression comparable with Neo X including sound via HDMI for movies. Obviously doing DSD MCH for SACD via HDMI additionally.

10. OlivierQC

Hello,

A review will be available soon.

呂文元 (West) administrator of HD.Club.tw, of 8K4K精研好朋友影音俱樂部 and also General Agent of Zidoo will propose a review of the Neo Alpha.

On my side I will compile his opinion about this model by adding all the pictures he already sent me in a video available on my Youtube channel.

I'll take the opportunity to use Volumax7 to give a volume effect to the pictures.

I finalize a new tutorial and I take care of my friend West.

[​IMG]

--------------

By the way, many people are surprised by the price but I must say that the Alpha model is a very nice piece.

And the difference between the NEO S and the Alpha is substantial as you can see on the picture above

See you soon

11. Nice Monkey

As one can nicely see here: The PSU's come straight from Neo S. The mainboard including the DAC is new and follows the superior Neo X design for the digital components. The Headphone AMP is separate and a new design too. It is a perfect mixed deployment media player for both Movies and Music having all features and connectors matching with other standard 19 inch rack components. :)

It is a very nice piece indeed but has a stiff price compared with Neo S and above all Neo X. I can only guess but I feel the sales margin on Neo X was just too low as I think it was quite expensive to build? If you are a happy Neo X owner treasure it. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  12. mirak

mirak Member

I think the Neo X is better built than the Alpha.
    The Alpha should be less expensive but it's much more :eek:

13. OlivierQC

@mirror,

Do you have anything to say about this ?

14. OlivierQC

Photo sharing

Some pictures of the NEO Alpha The Zidoo Alpha are delivered since several days and the first buyers received their Zidoo Alpha... the first feedback are positive.

A member of the HD.Club.tw forum says that the image quality is better than with his UHD3000.

We will have to wait for more in-depth tests to verify this. (sledgehamma's test soon)

In the meantime here is a video to share images that WEST kindly provided me and that shows the quality of the components used with the NEO Alpha as well as the quality of manufacture specific to the Zidoo company

See you soon

15. OlivierQC

Hello to all,

Thank you to all those who have subscribed to my Youtube channel, it encourages me to continue to offer you new videos.

----------

Here is a teaser that announces a video made in collaboration with Sledgehamma who is finalizing a complete test of the Zidoo Alpha.

This is a complete test like Sledgehamme used to do and you can find it on AVSforum.com if you have any questions about Zidoo devices

Due to the amount of information provided by Sledgehamma, the video should be quite long, to make the reading more enjoyable there will be chapters that will allow you to look at what you think is most relevant to you.

The video should be available in the next few days

TEASER

See you soon

Sledgehamma likes this.
  16. Alain Durrenberger

Alain Durrenberger New Member

Without wanting to criticize, just an observation, the Marantz 8805 that I had at home for 9 months, if I didn't keep it, it is precisely, despite these qualities in home cinema! for audio in general the 8805 is not very detailed and lacks dynamics for 2.0 / 2.1 / 5.1 music.
    I compared it with my previous AVP the XMC-1 from Emotiva, the difference in audio is immense.
    Maybe the difference is noticeable on my MK2 Stormaudio, because the Mk2 digs into the smallest music file to extract the smallest details.
    The MK2 and Neo S couple is so exellent!

17. Alain Durrenberger

Alain Durrenberger New Member

Hi everyone,
    I think I'll probably take the Neo Alpha, just for the format of the machine... and the separation of the HDMI outputs.
    My Neo S is already a hell of a machine that I love at all levels and especially for its audio quality for musical reproduction.
    Thanks to Olivier for his involvement in the world of Zidoo and thanks to Zidoo for their great material.

gymnos likes this.
  18. OlivierQC

Thank you Alain :)

19. OlivierQC

Hello everyone,

Welcome to my new video made in collaboration with Sledgehamma.

This is the Full Review of the Zidoo NEO Alpha (part1)

Sledgehamma provides a lot of information and you can access what you think is relevant via the video chapter available in the video description

See you soon for part 2

Sledgehamma likes this.
  20. OlivierQC

Welcome to my second video made in collaboration with Sledgehamma.

This is PART 2 of the Zidoo NEO Alpha full review

This video is about PosterWall, PLEX, Jellyfin and Zidoo Controller APP.

A third and last video will be available in the next day and will concern the settings used by Sledgehamma with its NEO Alpha

Everything you will see in this video is not exclusive to the NEO Alpha, it is also compatible with all other Zidoo RTD1619DR devices

See you soon