Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I just remember what my eyes see :)

2. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

I'm just curious as to what would cause differences between players in terms of PQ using DV TV Led. Because in theory, it should all be the same since it's the TV doing the tone mapping, and not the player. Yet, there ARE differences, like with my example with the shield. So what causes these differences?

3. Jimbo Randy

No offense, but eyes are not trustworthy, lol. The mind plays tricks. You need to compare side by side otherwise there really is no way to tell, unless one picture is like completely messed up and obvious. Then fine, lol.

If we want to get to the bottom of this, we will need side-by-side pictures.

4. Jimbo Randy

You say that.....but one night when you're trying to fall asleep, you're going to be thinking to yourself; "damn I wonder what was causing those PQ differences"

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

For your information. My UHD3000 came along with me to Bolivia and will remain here. It is connected to an Epson UHB5060 projector with HDR10 but no DV. My AMP here in between is an Onkyo SR777.

For me the differences in DV are too small to compensate the much better (external) subtitle features on a Zidoo (in my case with TV-led using a Philips OLED TV).

6. I switched between the oppo and the zidoo it's connected on my denon x8500ha bote white audioquest vodka hdmi and from the denon to the tv ist audioquest vodka and the tv I use is a ISF calibrated TCL 98 inch tv the oppo has the better quality of picture sharper en more bright more detailed and better black I think the processor is just better then the processor of the Zidoo. Ore the output hdmi for dolby vision is not calibrated richt because it can be changed but only by the programming person of zidoo

7. Jimbo Randy

Yea I'm not sure. There are definitely differences between players with TV Led DV (even though in theory there shouldn't be?)

I am not sure. I just can't test it because I don't have an Oppo or Oppo clone. The only other device I have is the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, which I can confirm has WORSE PQ than the Zidoo. The colors in DV profile 7 are too red/green on the Shield.

Reset_9999 likes this.
  8. It really is

9. Jimbo Randy

We have 2 people with 2 different TVs saying that the Oppo has better PQ. So I'd be very interested to find out WHY that is....

10. It's not only whit dolby vision hdr10 is better on the oppo two much more colorful much sharper and more bright both my players are on standard but the difference is really big

11. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Just as i suspected No Time To Die also has the FEL layer but its not on that list posted earlier in this thread. Is that list not up-to-date? If so, FEL could be whats accounting for brighter picture and should resolve all our inquiries.
    Here's the info below of the UHD.

MPEG-H HEVC Video 50871 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 1000nits / HDR10 / BT.2020

* MPEG-H HEVC Video 5717 kbps (10.10%) 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / 1000nits / Dolby Vision FEL / BT.2020

12. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Ok - try this as a test:

Goto Settings/Display/HDR and set it to "Mapping HDR10"

How does that scene look now?

13. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Will do! But if you are saying to limit DV to HDR10 only, then I have in the past and it looked terribly dark and dull and colorless.

14. The oppo wil deliver better image in hdr 10 and dolby vision only in hdr10plus the zidoo is more bright
    Wen zidoo wil implant Sharpness control and dnr mebay we can ajust it so it wil be the same

15. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Something is wrong if things look that much differenct between HDR and Dolby Vision.. It really should be somewhat difficult to tell the differences... unless side by side comparisons... of course that can vary somewhat by titles and how they are mastered I am sure....but for the most part, reviews that I have read that actually compare between HDR and DV seem to indicate mostly subtle improvements with DV when compared to HDR 10.... not drastic in any way.

16. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

I really don't believe you should need to adjust sharpness or implement DNR in a source device... and much less so on HD or 4K sources... well, maybe for crappy DVD/SD sources, but that's it. Those adjustments should be at the end display. IMO, Adjusting those things before the display device, can compound or mess with what the display does on its own processing of the video signal.

17. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Have you tried it?

18. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

No, unfortunately didn't get a chance to do that last night... I am in the process of moving all data from external drives to an enclosure. Should be able to do this today though, stay tuned :)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  19. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

As already mentioned for this movie, there might be some parts that get slightly expanded via FEL though, but not significant.
    Look at the plot::https://slow.pics/c/NFuzhfkV
    The reason for this will be something else.

Reset_9999 likes this.
  20. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

There is absolutely no such visible, big difference in picture quality between the two players.

PQ can be easily analysed using HDMI capture:

The following players are included in the test:
    Amazon Fire tv stick 4k
    Amazon Fire tv stick 4k max
    Dune Real Vision 4k
    Xiaomi Mi TV Stick 4K
    Onn Android TV Box
    Oppo UDP-203 (M9702)
    Nvidia Shield pro 2019
    Ugoos X2 cube
    Ugoos AM6b plus
    Zidoo Z1000 pro

All in all, Amlogic and Oppo have the closest PQ to the source, but these subtle differences are not noticeable when watching a movie.