Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I'm using a LG C9 and both media players go directly into the TV and Oppo is set to TV LED DV.

And PQ between both devices are pretty identical (I know this is subjective) however I got an example where the difference is consistently very noticeable and hoping if somebody with an Oppo can test this out.

UHD of No Time To Die in DV, where Daniel Craig is standing in front of oceanside and says over phone "Felix, I'm In". The start of this chapter is brighter and richer in color of bond's blue eyes. I've done so many setting changes and combos to replicate this on Z9X but am unable to.

I can get the duller picture on Oppo if I set it to Player LED DV but that's not the correct setting, nor desirable as the PQ is dull on all DV content, not just this movie with that setting.

Hopefully, someone with a TV can test this out, preferably an OLED; not sure if PJ will have same results.

This also has be wondering if there's other content that's better on Oppo that I've not tested and has me holding onto the Oppo for this reason. Jack Reacher UHD in DV may be another example but I've not a lot of A/B testing with this title. Appreciate the help/thoughts!

@Markswift2003

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There should not be such a marked difference between Player Led and TV Led DV on any player.

What is the Zidoo set too? TV or Player Led?

What's the chapter and time stamp?

3. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Well, apparently they botched the last FW on Oppo and thus TV Led is the correct setting (noted in the Oppo 203 thread on AVS forums) and a huge difference across all DV content per my own experience.

I've tested Zidoo on all different settings, it can't generate the PQ that the Oppo can on this particular scene. Otherwise, my Z9X is kept on standard Recommended settings (TV Led).

I believe its Chapter 7... starts there.

4. Markswift2003

Unfortunately without your kit I can't really replicate this - But I just had a look at that scene and played it in both HDR10 and LLDV and there was little, if any difference and that's exactly what I'd expect - and I saw nothing untoward in the image.

5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I'd be curious to know what type of DV this movie uses as I feel like this one stands out compared to other DV movies I have. IE, The Croods 2 with so many bright and colorful scenes, both oppo and z9x look about the same.

PS, I just had a bad idea lol I could try taking pictures of the two - my phone sucks with dark shots but maybe I can capture something.

6. Markswift2003

Assuming it's a BD rip, it's as all UHD BluRays - Profile 7 with an HDR10 base layer. It also happens to be FEL, so the enhancement layer isn't used by the Zidoo, but that has no bearing on Player Led/TV Led..

7. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Got it. I am assuming Oppo uses the enhancement layer and may be a one in a 500 example of where it does make a difference? Just trying to think of what could be the reason.

8. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Sorry, I have to say there is a difference. That's why I asked Mark to strip out the DV block from my own edid and then use the Vs10 engine to playback Dv content etc. DV just looked, well, bland with a grey tint in the both the whites and colour spectrum.

Maybe it's just a hardware limitation, that I can now live with - after all, how many DV releases are they these days.

9. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I am assuming you are referring to TV Led vs. Player Led and not a Z9X vs Oppo situation?

10. Oldpainless

No, on my LG with any DV content and my Zidoo, I tried every combo under the sun, and standard HDR just had more pop. Now, with my own edid with DV compatabilty stripped out, and using the vs10 engine for both DV and HDR playback, I could not wish for a better picture.

It could be that my amp somehow messes with DV, but who knows.

11. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Gotcha, this example im talking about is keeping the original DV intact and two players producing diff. picture. If Mark was in Indiana, I could show him in person hehe

Oldpainless likes this.
  12. Markswift2003

There's really nothing an amp can do to a DV signal - it must be the TV. But we're back to personal preferences again and as I will always say, if it looks (and sounds) right to you, it is right. Period.

Oldpainless likes this.
  13. Oldpainless

Agreed.

14. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Back to the point... in this case, my Z9X does not look right at all in comparison to the Oppo.

15. Markswift2003

What we need here is someone with an Oppo, a Zidoo but not the same display as you - and of course, No Time To Die UHD BluRay...

B0RN likes this.
  16. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I asked in the AVS Forums, no one had an Oppo. There's also the AV forums if no one here does.

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I nearly bought an Oppo before deciding on my Z1000 Pro. I have a feeling @Nice Monkey has one though

B0RN likes this.
  18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@B0RN - Just looked at his signature - he does and a Philips TV too.

B0RN likes this.
  19. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

[​IMG]

rozel likes this.
  20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Im sure he'll be nice enough to test once he sees the thread :D

rozel likes this.