Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

How do you even tell if a movie is FEL? Mediainfo doens't seem to show this information.

Also, it would be really interesting to see why the Zidoo Z9X isn't living up to the PQ of the Oppo. I don't have an Oppo so I can't test it.

Is it only this one title that's giving differences between the 2 players? Or are there others? Are we sure that the lack of FEL playback on the Zidoo is responsible here?

2. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Subjectively, many titles are marginally better on the Oppo but this title is an instant improvement in brightness and colors in some scenes, not the whole movie. And this title isnt even on the FEL list so im guessing that has nothing to do with it.

3. Jimbo Randy

I don't think you can post links here, right? But do you know how I can find an up-to-date FEL list? I couldn't find one that wasn't super outdated. Is there a way to verify that something is FEL without looking at that list?

Also, yes, this is very interesting. Is this like the only one that you're seeing with major differences? What made you play this one on the Oppo? You were just curious? Or did you know it was FEL?

I hope we can figure this out!

4. Jimbo Randy

hmmm. Well this is concerning lol. Either the Zidoo has some sort of issue, OR the Oppo is just super good for some unknown reason in TV Led DV lol.

5. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yeah in Player LED, oppo puts out the same PQ as Z9X and even worse in some cases. But in TV Led, it just slays, especially when you think about how old the Oppo/last FW is on the unit.

I don't have a way to figure out FEL stuff, I just looked at the FEL mentioned in the other thread linked last page and assumed it was up to date. I guess most ppl don't bother knowing that something better is out there cuz they dont have it to test or are happy not knowing. But I've seen it and can't unseen it. I would say Star Trek Motion Picture PQ has some better/brighter blues in some instances as well.

6. Jimbo Randy

Yea I'm not sure. If I had an Oppo, I'd 100% test this out on my LG C1, lol.

@Markswift2003, I assume you are stumped here as well?

7. Jimbo Randy

I don't understand why TV Led DV would differ between the two? Because shouldn't TV Led basically just mean that the TV should be the one that applies the tone mapping? So with both devices, you are just sending over the DV info and the TV should display it equally?

However, this does get a bit weird because as you may or may not know, the Nvidia shield has incorrect colors with Dolby Vision Profile 7 files, even when it is set to TV Led DV (I believe they added a toggle to the Shield last year or early this year to choose between LLDV and TV Led).

So given this, it does indeed seem like some players do SOME processing to the image before sending it over as TV Led DV, or maybe players differ with how they package the metadata? I really have no idea. I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of this!

8. Jimbo Randy

Are you saying that the Oppo has better PQ in general? or did you just test the same movie that @B0RN was talking about? If it's only specific titles that we see differences on, that is interesting.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  9. It dont matter what movie I play dolby vision hdr10 hdr10plus the oppo has the better image its not much but more contrast better black

B0RN likes this.
  10. Jimbo Randy

Yea I unfortunately really do not know why this is. Will need @Markswift2003 to give his 2 cents. Hey Mark, when are ya buying the Oppo to test this?? jk jk....or am I?

11. Buy a cineultra V204 it's a modified oppo whit the Russian firmware out of the box it plays whit the same beter image as the oppo and beter the the zidoo

12. Jimbo Randy

The best I can do is the Shield vs the Zidoo since that's all I have, lol.

13. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

How about the M9203?

14. Jimbo Randy

How do you guys even compare the two? Do you take pictures? I would need a side by side comparison.

15. The m9203 don't have the leniar power supply like the cineULTRA V204 the cineULTRA is better

16. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No, just not paying a lot of attention ;)

As I said earlier, I don't have your setup so I can't see what you're seeing, but all can tell you is that scene looks fine here.

17. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

If you look up M9203, it does have the Linear Power Supply. Any reason why cineULTRA is better otherwise?

"Regarding technical characteristics: + Toroidal power supply + VFD screen"

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  18. Jimbo Randy

@B0RN , @Frank Kasteren, it would be great to see some side-by-side screenshots/photos of what you're seeing between the two. Would that be possible for you guys to put together?

19. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I would try but I can never take even decent photos of my tv playing content. They are always too dark or too vivid, they'd not be even remotely close to what I'm seeing in person.

20. Jimbo Randy

How are you comparing the 2 players then? How can you tell without a side by side?