Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

So I tried the HDR10 Mapping setting last night and all DV titles were completely washed out. See the picture in attachment, its may not seem like much but in person this is a lot worse and even the black bars went grey. For good measure, I restarted the player after the setting and same thing... so I'm guessing we did not achieve what was needed lol

That being said, I am going to try and take pics of normal DV Z9X and DV Oppo of the scenes and see if something can be shown to you guys for a massive difference it is for this particular scene.

Attached Files:

2. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I dont know how to read this image... can you explain pls.

PS, the players may produce similar image as others but if one is not showing the FEL info. like the zidoo then it will have very obvious differences, for example the scene above ^

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Ok - there's got to be something funky going on in your setup. I just tried the above and HDR10 and DV look the same as you would expect.

I also tried the disc on my Sony UHD BluRay player - so obviously that has the benefit of the FEL.

I have the Sony connected to one input on my Vertex and the Zidoo on the other and selected that scene on both players.

Then I was able to switch between the two using the Vertex and although it's difficult to make a truly qualitative comparison because you get an HDMI resync between sources, I can tell you I saw absolutely nothing between the two images and certainly nothing to tell me that one was better than the other. Essentially they looked the same to me.

As another test, try this - playing the HDR10 layer using the VS10 engine...

Set Custom EDID to #3:
    upload_2023-5-18_16-51-42.png

And set HDR to VS10 for all content:
    upload_2023-5-18_16-52-36.png

And see how that looks.

B0RN likes this.
  4. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yeah I was also confused as to the whole washed out image with that option. Will try the custom EDID and what you mentioned but I dont have these EDIDs in your screenshot? And I dont think they come in standard on Zidoos either, they gotta be uploaded by you?

5. Markswift2003

You worry me when you post things like that :)

EDIDs 1, 2 and 3 are included on all models and can't be changed.

EDID 4 is one I've uploaded.

6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Sorry! I dont have the machine in front of me to know and see :)

7. The Sony is not the same like the oppo the oppo has a better image and you can not capture it its tv led

8. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

The list is up to date(mostly) but just because a particular movie is FEL doesn't mean FEL actually adds something to the final decoded DV stream.
    When you compare the DV plot vs HDR10 plot, the brightness difference will show up in the graph like this: https://slow.pics/c/YZnW1FKe

9. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Well first of all... I didnt know I was suppose to click the graphs to see the HDR10 version lmao

Two, just to clarify - this is really not the DV is better/brighter than the HDR10 case or argument. But yes I can see your point about FEL not adding much to the DV here. And can see how that's relevant to comparing the two DV versions on Oppo and Z9X. Maybe we'll see that in HDR10 too Oppo trumps the Z9X, then we can take FEL out of the equation. Though, not sure how I can force HDR10 only on Oppo... perhaps need to tinker for HDR settings there too.

Alas, we are making progress.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    Reset_9999 likes this.
  10. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I was able to get this working for HDR10. While the image was closer to DV "of the Zidoo"... it was bit dull in colors and brightness as it was not DV. It was no way near the DV of Oppo as expected.

11. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Sorry if I asked you this already....just curious....which TV do you have exactly?

12. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Its in my Sig. but a C9 OLED. One of the few LG's that can do 850 nits compared to even some of their recent entries - of course the new G3 is hitting over a 1000 nits now.

13. Jimbo Randy

Yes, sorry, you're right. It shows up in your signature. Yea idk where I was going with this. Just wondering what display you had in case I had any ideas of what was going on with the PQ differences you are seeing, but yea, idk.

Also, I didn't realize the C9 got up to 850 nits. The CX/C1 caps out at 800 I think. I have a 65" C1. I should add it to my signature.

14. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yeah its really odd the 2019 model did 850 nits and the newer oleds after it did not reach that peak brightness... until now. There was an amazing LG sheet somebody put together about their info and nits and whatnot. Not sure if you shared it or somebody else did.

15. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

16. Jimbo Randy

Ha yea, I am VERY familiar with that guide. I chat with the author regularly. We've brainstormed together on a lot of the tone mapping stuff. There is a youtube channel called "Plasma TV for Gaming." That guy has figured out A TON of stuff on LG TVs using the "HDMI Signaling Override" menu to force a maxcll/maxDML value. You can tell the TV which tone curve to use. It basically gives you the same capabilities to define source metadata as HDFury devices. LG OLED TVs give you A LOT of control over tone mapping. It's wondeful and helpful for games that don't give you control over peak brightness output.

Anyway, off topic, but yea, I love that guide. The author is very nice to chat with.

17. Markswift2003

According to the Dolby VSDB in the EDID, the C9 is 700nits.

Regardless of whether that's a true measure of the display characteristics (I suspect it is), Dolby Vision will always tone map after 700 nits, which to be fair will be quite rare.

LG C9
    EB:01:46: D0:00:2A:18:03:51:59:99:AA
    DV Version: 1 [short 12-byte version]
    DV DM Version: reserved
    DV Interface: standard and low latency 422 12bit
    2160p60: supported
    YUV422 12bit: not supported
    Global Dimming: not supported
    Backlight Control: not supported
    RED Primary: 0.707, 0.293
    GREEN Primary: 0.172, 0.797
    BLUE Primary: 0.133, 0.047
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 700 / 0.000 nits

The CX is 750nits:

LG CX
    EB:01:46: D0:00:2A:1A:03:51:8B:67:73
    DV Version: 1 [short 12-byte version]
    Backlight Control: not supported
    RED Primary: 0.680, 0.309
    GREEN Primary: 0.270, 0.699
    BLUE Primary: 0.133, 0.047
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 750 / 0.000 nits

The highest I've seen an LG go is the C1 at 775 nits

LG C1
    EB:01:46: D0:00:48:03:76:82:5E:6D:95
    DV Version: 2
    Backlight Control: not supported, default 100 nits
    RED Primary: 0.676, 0.320
    GREEN Primary: 0.254, 0.684
    BLUE Primary: 0.145, 0.051
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 775 / 0.000 nits

xskip likes this.
  18. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Let's just say I have some 10,000 nits content that looks quite amazing on C9 hehe but that's HDR10 only... not DV.

19. Markswift2003

There were some early HDR10 titles with a MaxCLL close to 10,000nits - Mad Max Fury Road springs to mind.

However, there is not a monitor in existence that can reach that and that title was mastered on a 4000nit monitor, presumably a Dolby Pulsar if the metadata is to be believed.

That was the only PVM capable of anything close to 4000 nits at the time (Sony now have one too) so you can draw your own conclusions there.

I've also seen some old titles with a maximum Mastering Display Luminance of 10,000 nits which is obviously impossible and screws the algos of some displays since some incorrectly use Max MDL.

The HDR world has become a lot less crazy these days simply because everyone knows how the kit works - in the early days, they didn't and you saw some wildly inaccurate metadata.

20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

There's some crazy folks grading their own stuff at 6,000 and even 10,000 nits like HDR-X on YouTube that you can try on your set if inclined.