Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Indeed he does and even has that movie. But he is not looking into details occurring with some scenes of some movies only. ;)

My verdict RTD1619DR based players produce a close to identical PQ when compared with my OPPO 203 including HDR10+ and DV. :)
    Prefer a Zidoo as it has more useful features above all regarding subtitles which I do use in practice. To get BD Menu working when essential in fact I revert to my baby Dune not my OPPO for the same reason.

I am using DV TV-Led with my setup with all my media players as the Philips does a real good job on that. The difference is very marginal on average but the AI image engine of Philips does active things. So we would need to look into those TV settings too for a true comparison.

My OPPO is used as my reference for reporting problems playing 1:1 DVD/BD copies of any nature and for playing DVD-Audio albums these days.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    rozel likes this.
  2. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Dang, I know you have a thread for best media players comparison on AV forums. Thought you'd be jump on the idea to test out the PQ between the two :(

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Frankly I did for all models and my conclusion is they are on par. I judge on the total experience watching movies in various formats.
    There may be very specific cases where the one or the other might be better.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  4. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Agreed but this one is significantly better in my humble opinion. Thus the inquiry.

5. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

So, just for my own curiousity.. .as I can not play DV natively .... but it doesn't seem like you see these differences in ALL your DV titles when comparing your Oppo output to your Zidoo. It is just mainly this title.. and not only that, it is just this particular scene that wigs you out, so to speak? It is amazing what we AV nerds do get worked up over, isn't it? LOL!:) Honestly, though, I totally get it! You need to get to the bottom of why there is this difference.... You can not unsee it.

B0RN likes this.
  6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yup this particular scene and a huge backlog of DV titles that makes me wonder if I am missing something overall with Z9X so anytime I can, I watch stuff on the Oppo and not the Zidoo - that's kept strictly for anything that Oppo can't play.

7. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

B0RN likes this.
  8. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Hey, good find. I looked at the list of FEL titles that your comrade shared in the other thread and I'd say Star Trek The Motion Picture also some better blues and MI:Fallout has a very thin layer of brightness in the shadows (for the better) on the Oppo that the Z9X lacks. I am going to check out the other movies on the list and do A/B comparison when I get a chance. Though it makes sense that its not a drastic revelations since the list is still not very long to have noticed just by old memory of watching these on oppo and now on Z9X. Oddly, No Time To Dies is not on this list?

I will throw a ranch in here as I have done countless hours of testing on The Croods 2: The New Age on both devices and Z9X is brighter/more colorful here. Oppo has the richer blues for sure though. My toddler loves this movie hehe

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're always going to see slight differences in sources and displays despite what Dolby marketing says, but assuming it's mastered correctly then it shouldn't make a noticeable difference.

But we have seen a few badly mastered titles in the past.

10. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

It does not necessarily have to be badly mastered, the FEL can expand the brightness, here is an example BTTF2 P7 FEL vs P8:
    https://slow.pics/c/S6Vdtugt

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    Reset_9999 and B0RN like this.
  11. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

That is not true. All the movies on that list will look darker on a device that doesnt support FEL (especially the Highlights) because the L1 and L2 trims are meant to be played with the EL+BL decoded brightness.

Here's some sample to test it,

Original ST-DL P7 (wrong on non fel device):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AflJT_C8Emocm4uyNDw67ZVnl-AC1Gqz/view?usp=share_link

Converted to P8 without baking the EL (wrong on all the device):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g-SCg0sAqMRskBL62DyATSq5eBHlrAAd/view?usp=share_link

Converted to P8 with BL and EL baked (right on all the devices):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18OEcZPTF2M1emOd4N_iT-I79pch6aJhg/view?usp=share_link

Proper L1 for the BL brightness (right on all the devices):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13jBeX_4mjEy53kMliRlKg2Z1w1RPCgwr/view?usp=share_link

comparison on the C2 + x800m2:

12. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Does No Time To Die belong on that list...?

13. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

No, FEL doesn't add anything to this movie.
    But since you have a proper player (oppo), just watch the FEL movie on it and use the Zidoo for everything else. This way you get the best of both worlds :)

B0RN likes this.
  14. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Interesting that this one doesn't have FEL but the PQ is easily discernable in some scenes.

15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Good grief, you guys have more time on your hands than I do!! :)

Deano86 likes this.
  16. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

[​IMG]

B0RN likes this.
  17. I have a oppo udp-203 and I have the zidoo z9x and z1000pro and I can say for a 100%
    The oppo has more contrast (brichter) image the the zidoo in dolby vision tv led

I use a tcl 98 inch

I also tried to get the zidoo to have the same image but its not possible

18. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Okay, good to know that is the case cuz I've tried and tried and then tried some more to get the Z9X to get that extra 10% richness and fullness that the Oppo has but have not been able to in few cases. Other times they are damn close.

I just wish I didnt have to keep two devices to enjoy my content and almost thought Z9X was going to be the be all end all device.

19. The problem is the video output is not the same wen you chance the brightness on the zidoo it's almost the same but the you can't play bluray menu wen its on tv led

20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Not sure I understand... can you elaborate?