Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

Even if it did have trims, as i said 95% of the movies tvshow are not using Chroma Weight. And the ones that does like Babylon, just barely use it.
    What you're seeing could be a difference in the RPU L1 processing. On your oppo, its the TV doing the work while on the Zidoo its the player.

[​IMG]

2. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

On the Zidoo, why would the player be doing the work if its still set to TV-LED? If thats the case, that would solve the puzzle as on Zidoo, DV looks exactly like DV on Oppo but with Player LED setting.

3. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

because it doesnt do True TV-LED like the oppo as discussed yesterday.

B0RN likes this.
  4. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yes sir, I was just waiting for you to confirm that as I thought maybe it wasnt messing up what we thought it'd be messing up.

So if that's the case, well that solves the riddle - Zidoo needs to do real TV-LED DV correctly @Markswift2003

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    Edworld likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's a very interesting subject and one I wouldn't expect to get an answer from Dolby from.

One thing to remember is the we, as in we the denizens of the internet, made up the terms TV Led and Player Led. We also made up LLDV.

In Dolby Land they don't really exist but the monikers have stuck and are widely used, as are assumptions of how they work.

In Dolby Land we have Dolby Vision Composer and Dolby Vision Display Management, two modules that combine and spit out a Dolby Vision signal from its constituent parts.

All Dolby Vision sources (STBs, BD Players etc) have to include Composer and the Display has to include both Composer and Display Management.

Composer is responsible for reconstituting the Dolby Vision signal from the base/enhancement layers AND spitting the metadata out to Display Management. But there's nothing to say that Composer in the source can't do the metadata and Composer in the sink can't stick the layers together independently - and that's where the heavy lifting happens, not in the metadata (not in the Zidoo of course).

So I'm not in the slightest bit alarmed by this, only really puzzled why none of us have noticed before - so kudos to whoever did!

To be fair I wish I had an Oppo here to play with, but I can tell you that I can replicate the RPU metadata being used in TV Led DV by my Sony BluRay player so I kind of figure this hybrid approach has something to do with Dolby's capitulation to Sony (a very large customer!) when Sony buggered up their Dolby Vision sets in 2016 or thereabouts (something neither Dolby or Sony would ever admit to I'm sure).

Bottom line, I don't think it matters on which side Composer decodes the metadata as long as the display knows about it.

xskip and B0RN like this.
  6. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

This is very interesting. So you don't think this is responsible for the difference we're seeing?

7. Markswift2003

No.

8. Jimbo Randy

When you say the Zidoo does the same, are you saying it ISN'T doing TV LED properly? Or it is? Or is "properly" the wrong word since it apparently doesn't matter. Sorry I'm a having a hard time following this.

9. Markswift2003

The Zidoo is in some way processing the metadata in the RPU rather than the display in TV Led, but I think it's by design, so in simple terms, yes, I think it's doing it properly. As I say, I've replicated the same thing in my Sony UHD BluRay player too.

I don't think we'll get a definitive answer from Dolby because they've probably had enough of us all stomping around in their walled garden, but there's no way something like this isn't designed in.

10. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

You and me both but I think what Mark is saying is, regardless of who handles DV, it should come out correctly at the display's end... but that may or may not be the case here. We just don't know.

11. Markswift2003

My advice is stop worrying about it and watch some films.

B0RN likes this.
  12. Markswift2003

I've jumped on the way back machine tonight and have The Six Million Dollar Man on at the moment :D

Oldpainless likes this.
  13. Markswift2003

Subjectively it looks the same to me either off the disc or from the Zidoo. But not with an Oppo.

As I say, I'd love to see what you're seeing, but I suspect given the atmosphere of that shot, the Zidoo and my Sony are getting it pretty much correct.

14. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yeah, if it was some slight difference I'd have shrugged it off but such a stark difference, I thought I'd bring it up.

Regardless, we've beaten a dead horse as much as possible lol, time to move on and enjoy some films. I in fact dismounted all but one drive from my Z9X that's filled with all the DV MP4s that Oppo can't play ironically. Z9X is cheap enough that I can justifying keeping both (for now).

15. Jimbo Randy

The Oppo must be doing something that the Zidoo isn't....but yea idk.

@B0RN sorry to ask for the 100th time but was it only a handfull of movies where you saw a difference? Or just that one James Bond FEL film?

16. Jimbo Randy

You're saying this because you don't have an Oppo to test, right? I'm really curious to see if this is somehow related to older DV-capable TVs, like the C9, but maybe fixed on new ones? Probably not, idk. I wish I had an Oppo to test on my C1 lol.

17. Markswift2003

Sorry yes, that wasn't clear - I don't have an Oppo so can't test.

18. Jimbo Randy

Are you still going to try asking them, or nah?

19. Markswift2003

I've asked the devs and I believe Stacey Spears has asked Dolby, although as I say, he doesn't expect an answer.

B0RN likes this.
  20. Jimbo Randy

Does Dolby ghost people like someone trying to back out of a Tinder date?