New Linear Power supply upgrade for DMP A-6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by audio58, Oct 6, 2023.

1. audio58

audio58 Active Member

Anyone else seen the You Tube video that someone has designed a better PS for the unit.
    I won't touch mine until warranty is up and let all these other people see if it's worth doing.
    Have a look:https://www.beatechnik.com/lps-a6

Looks like about $286 USD.

Imaodoloro and Topdude like this.
  2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Yes 2nd YouTube video up today with Alvin Chee detailing the installation of the LHY-A6. Compliments what is already on the Beatechnik website which also shows the step details with plenty of images. Alvin says the first production run is almost sold out. I have ordered one as I previously ordered an LHY SW-8 network switch from this company and I liked the results. There is also an alternative LPS for the DMP-A6 being sold by Teddy Pardo, this is a separate box solution and more expensive than the LHY one.

FunnyChap and Topdude like this.
  3. BarHan

BarHan New Member

Not many reviews yet. Looks like plug and play. No seals have to be broken, so no warranty problem.

4. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Member

I know a couple of people on this forum, including me, have already ordered and paid for the new LPSU. The company supplying them are going to start shipping the units out in mid October.

I look forward to installing mine just as soon as I can.

FunnyChap, DudeMusic and Topdude like this.
  5. Peter Wallop

Peter Wallop Active Member

This is new territory for me, but I’m certainly up for a tinker. I use an external DAC, rather than the A6 0ne, so don’t know if an LPS would make any audible difference. Please let us know how you get on.

6. Stuj

Stuj Member

From my perspective …. Why ?

7. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Member

Sorry don't understand the question: Your perspective? how can anyone know what your perspective is?

8. Stuj

Stuj Member

I was meaning , why bother upgrading an already capable PSU for a unit that already measures well. The average human will not be able to hear the difference.
    As I said, this is from my perspective….

9. Peter Wallop

Peter Wallop Active Member

Fair question. For me, it’s twofold:
    1. LPS’s seem to be considered worthwhile for Nodes, so I’m curious. Having said that, the comments about these on ASR are pretty scathing, so I’m waiting for more knowledgeable people than me to try them for real before taking it any further.
    2. More importantly, Christmas is coming and I’m a pain to buy presents for. Hence the fact that I’ve now got a very wobbly sub-woofer due to the sprung feet that I received on Fathers’ Day :rolleyes:. Unless the early adopters consider it a complete waste of time, I can unwrap an LPS on Christmas morning and act like I’ve received Thor’s Hammer or Obi Wan’s Light Sabre.;) The kids then get to see me playing with my ‘new toy’ and my wife gets me out from under her feet. Everyone’s a winner and I can then pretend that I can hear an improvement in transparency. Christmas sorted!

Mister L, Inti and Alan Rutlidge like this.
  10. Stuj

Stuj Member

lol, that’s a very honest answer too, yes people can be very polarised by questions like this, it is almost religious like the Jedi

11. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

Interesting watching the installation video. The guy is not taking any ESD precautions whatsoever. :eek:

12. whodiini

whodiini New Member

Here's my question/concern. The linear power supply will have lower noise. But there is already a lot of noise in the system, with a CPU running at Ghz speeds, a NVMe as well. We dont know what fraction of the total noise level comes from the power supply vs other sources. One may or may not hear a difference if one lowers the noise from the linear power supply and not from the other sources. Caveat emptor!

tora-tora and Miki222 like this.
  13. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Hope soon more videos will come out about sonic results after the new LPS. im very curious.
    would be tempted to try this as well should it be “better”.

14. Theeraphon

Theeraphon Member

The price is 1/3 of the whole A6. Wow.

Must be good then.

FunnyChap and Topdude like this.
  15. kc001

kc001 Active Member

LOL :)

16. kc001

kc001 Active Member

What exactly does that PS supposed to improve?
    Noise? What noise?
    upload_2023-10-7_12-33-6.png upload_2023-10-7_12-33-25.png

17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is a very nicely build unit using good components including the well known shielded Talema transformer. For sure it won't harm but if it is audible doing A/B tests? I recommend it only where combined with a Master/Gold edition as it matches the total design then very nicely. In fact I feel the Master/Gold edition should have been shipped like that from the factory.

The LPS is not cheap but it is reasonable priced. For the very energy aware the standby power consumed will most likely go up with a few watts.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  18. kc001

kc001 Active Member

I honestly doubt it you'll be able to hear anything real (see above measurements). It‘s your money & time, but if you're going to spend almost $300 for a PS, why not just buy the Master Edition?

19. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

See my updated comment above. If you want the best do both.

20. BarHan

BarHan New Member

Get rid of the "gold", and for the extra money they ask, yes!