New Linear Power supply upgrade for DMP A-6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by audio58, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

Components are measured at their output so power supply noise would be included everything is in the measurements if you learn to understand them.
    A really poorly engineered component which displays PS noise at the output might well benefit from a better supply, but then why purchase such a poorly engineered unit in the first place.
    Keith

2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I note you do not engage with the fact that you have multiple A6s at your disposal and could choose to modify one and compare to standard ? This would at least move the story on a bit ? Now I know measurements in this area are complex and kit like AP analysers are expensive, so just a subjective listen from yourself will do, is there an audible difference to your ears ? Now I understand you may not want to modify a unit due to warranty etc and being a dealer, so I am willing to bring my standard A6 already modded with the LPS-A6 to you and we can as just two human beings sit and listen and make a comparison. We can test the pure streamer case and the internal DAC case, you choose and supply the external DAC, amp and speakers. I live in the UK so this is possible if you want. We could then jointly report to this forum on the outcome, even if we don't agree on what this is. One proviso, I don't want to do blind testing or be involved in complex testing scenarios, this is just out of curiosity.

FunnyChap likes this.
  3. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Yes, it is a wonderful machine. However it requires also some break-in itself

4. Purité Audio

If we look at the measurements of the DMP A-6 courtesy of ASR ,
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/eversolo-dmp-a6-streamer-review.44198/
    You will see there is no evidence of power supply noise whatsoever on the output of the unit , the unit is audibly transparent.
    Even if your external power supply measures slightly better in isolation ( doubtful) we are measuring the output of the entire component at it analogue outs, so no change in power supply can improve the sound of the A-6 because it is for all intents and purposes already perfect.
    This dac might benefit from a better power supply, but it is broken in so any other areas,
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-audio-gd-r2r11-dac-amp.5779/
    Keith

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  5. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

You do not comment on my offer to directly compare the two. So I suppose you do not want to proceed in that direction. Fair enough, get ASR then to look at a modded A6 and test whether there is less noise in the streamer circuit, not just the final DAC output. I don't get that audio gd link's relevance to anything under discussion either.

FunnyChap likes this.
  6. Purité Audio

It doesn’t matter if there is more or less noise in the ‘streamer circuit’ because the unit is measured at the dacs output.
    It is extremely straightforward if you think about it, if there was any power supply noise in the dacs output, ( look a the Audio GD dac measurements I posted) then a ‘better’ power supply might be of benefit but there isn’t.
    I wouldn’t mind conducting an unsighted comparison for you, but it would have to be unsighted because once you know which you are listening to your imagination takes over.
    keith

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  7. Joost

Joost New Member

When you base the purchase of your audio system on measurements, you miss out on a whole lot of great stuff, imho. But I guess it could benefit your wallet :).

I never ever look at measurements, but solely trust my own ears. I do believe in the law of diminishing returns, but I also believe that there are almost no giant killers in this hobby.

At ASR there are people who believe that relatively cheap components that measure the same as far more expensive components, do sound the same. Dream on.

FunnyChap and fofocho like this.
  8. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I saw a recent Alpha Audio Lab YouTube video on measurements they were performing on streamers especially as regards the effects of power supplies. Measurements not subjective imaginings, they are clear that differences can be mensured and heard and correlated to some degree.

9. Purité Audio

They are electrical components and as such are entirely characterised by their measurements there is no magic sauce.
    Sadly many listeners believe the marketing and are taken in by it, with just a little technical knowledge you would be able to instantly dismiss the charlatans/idiots.
    The Eversolo DMP A-6 is as good as any streamer available at any price , if components measure the same ( or very similar) then they sound the same.
    Real gains in sound quality are always to be found in loudspeakers and their interaction with the room.
    Keith

Nutul and fofocho like this.
  10. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Have a look at the Apha Audio link :
    https://alpha-audio.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/eabkqpw9m3y.jpg.webp
    They are measuring the analog output (single ended) of two streamers and their inbuilt DACs and seeing measurable differences when power supplies are changed. Now granted it is not pure streamer mode, but it shows you how noise on the PSU can get through the whole system. Maybe the differences are not audible but the presenter thinks they are. Alpha Audio have also done large trials of streamers
    where the listeners are blind to the units being listened to. Lots of differences apparent and some correlate with measurements done beforehand on the streamers using their standard power supplies.

11. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

If the measurements of the A6 are super high, much above audible thresholds, how a different LPS could improve sound? Smoother highs, wider soundstage, tighter bass… and without using the DAC/amp??

12. Purité Audio

They can’t and they don’t.
    @Jb Can you post a link to the Alpha measurements and methodology?
    Keith

13. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

It may or may not improve the sound, but it is perhaps wise to consider that it could impact any or some of the parameters you list. Noise gets around and may transmit to devices connected to your streamer such as an external DAC. No circuits be they analog or digital are perfect and all can be susceptible to noise. The sensitivity of circuitry to noise and transmission mechanisms involved will be different between digital and analog but always there. Transmission of some of this noise should be regarded as a serious possibility and not just dismissed. I see the whole hifi kit chain as a holistic interacting set of components, change the quality of one component somewhere or inject noise elsewhere via a poor power supply and this may affect the output of the whole thing. Just my working hypothesis, perhaps a delusion

FunnyChap likes this.
  14. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Apart from the link I provided, they have a website and an associated YouTube channel. I think they have tried to list their procedures and processes as best they can on both media but I don't have further links to share. They at least try to do some measurements alongside listening trials and comparisons of audio kit.

15. Purité Audio

The only way you will be convinced is to conduct an unsighted comparison for yourself , it is revelatory and frees you from the nonsense.
    The key question is always is it audible?
    Keith

16. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

As I have said this is my working hypothesis, perhaps as you say it is nonsense. I will continue to listen in my sighted deluded state to music that I like and think about my hifi gear in this imperfect way. The words audibly transparent will not be used by me, all the gear could be better and improved upon.

17. Purité Audio

The components measurements will determine if they are or are not adding audible distortion.
    I would concentrate my time and effort on elements that can bring a real, tangible improvement.

Keith

18. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I guess it’s still on topic as we’re discussing if the LPS brings an advantage over the original SMPS.

But if anyone wants to dig deeper on how we judge quality audio there’s a dedicated thread for the debate:

Measurements v Ears: Dawn of Audio

19. Alice823bee

Alice823bee New Member

I have a simple Eversolo A6 too, using the streamer only option, into a Denafrips Pontus II 12Th.
    Before the Eversolo purchase I already used an IRIS DDC between my old laptop +SSD to Pontus setup.
    The IRIS will remove almost any jitter etc coming from the Eversolo PSU and go via I2S to the Pontus.
    And it will also reclock audio signals too..
    I see no need to buy a LPS for the Eversolo.
    Regards

20. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Like yourself I also have an Iris DDC and appreciate its galvanic noise isolation and reclocking capabilities, it also offers multiple simultaneous digital outputs so you can compare a suite of DACs without difficulty. However no device is perfect and some audiophiles resort to multiple noise blocking strategies in their digital chain I.e. belt and braces approach. I like the combo of the A6 and the Pontus Ii 12th ed both with and without Iris in the chain, remember that DAC is also good in its noise isolation. I still put the LPS-A6 mod into the A6 and thought it gave a slight increase in body and heft. Other people are reporting larger effects on their external DACs, but maybe the Iris has already cleaned up the situation so the effect is smaller.

Stix17 and FunnyChap like this.