New Linear Power supply upgrade for DMP A-6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by audio58, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Rex

Rex Member

...and all done!

Attached Files:

2. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

...and the curtains are all blown away?

...and a deep, blacker than black background appears behind the DMP A6 just like a black hole in the galaxis to suck all and everybody in who is in sight?

...or is the black hole just in your wallet and nothing else happened?

I`m curious...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Rex

Rex Member

Sez the guys with $5000 interconnects lol.

I don't really care if I hear a difference or not. I bought the upgrade for my own reasons and I'm the only person I have to satisfy.

Cheers.

JtagPabb1e, FunnyChap, Amrut and 7 others like this.
  4. audio58

audio58 Active Member

What a waste of $$$ for streaming, the A-6 is good enough.

Robert Crawford and Nutul like this.
  5. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

Besides the sound quality, a LPS helps to avoid ear fatigue whereas the SMPS tends to give ear fatigue after a hour of listening.
    -----
    In 11/2023 I upgraded from the Ares II 12th to Pontus II 12th-1, both used with the Iris 12th; the Pontus is more resolving and has a taller/bigger soundstage.
    I've only become an audiophile this year (although I've been into home theater since 2000).
    Anyway being an audiophile and music lover, I couldn't resist so today I ordered the LPS to see if it can improve the sound quality further (I already have Apple Music lossless--> Eversolo DMP-A6 --> Denafrips Iris 12th --> via i2S into the Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1--> Parasound 2100 preamp --> 2 Parasound 2125v2 amps setup like monoblock using only 1 channel from each amp (no bridging)--> GoldenEar BRX speakers and 2 sealed subwoofers.

My setup:

6. audio58

audio58 Active Member

It must be your ears..I have had mine since July and no fatigue and I'm 67 years old.

Mister L and Nutul like this.
  7. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

Thanks for sharing your experience, I think we are on the same boat with regard to the listening fatigue. I'm not sure whether this might be due to the overly transparent character of the A6 or the speakers matching (I read other opinions saying that the system matching with already "bright" speakers could not be the best for some) but I find quite challenging to accustomise to the A6 sound. In particular I find the mid-high noticeably in evidence to the point that I have a quite limited range of volume that I can use before having it to be unbearable. Even the different volume level between tracks in a playlist requires continuous and timely adjustments. In my case I don't think that a better LPS can make a difference (if any difference that I can perceive at all) and also I'm not sure if the upcoming EQ (yet to try) is the correct way to manage my case. In fact I'm even not sure to keep the A6 (otherwise a very nice machine on a functional and build perspective) or return it. Maybe I'm just more an R2R kind of listener like in your case.

FunnyChap likes this.
  8. robin_dj

robin_dj New Member

Good enough for who? For you perhaps, there is the possibility that other people might have different needs / expectations

FunnyChap likes this.
  9. Imaodoloro

Imaodoloro Member

So I'm not a great connoisseur, but I've read before that, if it makes any sense at all, then only when using the inner DAC, for everyone who uses an external DAC it simply doesn't make any difference, you can really save the money

greetings

Nutul likes this.
  10. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

As you can see the A-6 is audibly transparent and has a flat FR,
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/eversolo-dmp-a6-streamer-review.44198/
    So any ‘brightness’ is coming from your loudspeakers , which model are you using?
    Keith

octavius likes this.
  11. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

I'm 53 and my ears are still perfect so I hear the high notes that give me ear fatigue when I listen to a delta-sigma DAC and especially with a SMPS. I also clean my ears monthly using the water squirter from Amazon just like at the doctor's office.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  12. Inti

Inti Active Member

Its all about the right synergy in your HiFi system the right speakers and that’s the sound quality it doesn’t have to be the A6 braigt sounding it’s the mix in the setup

13. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

Hifi is a listening hobby but audiosciencereview don't use their ears.
    ASR are nerds, not music lovers. If you go against what they say, they will go crying to their moderator to edit your comment or remove your ability to comment against their views, so the reponses you see are very biased.
    ASR live and die by specs, rather than use their ears.

As always it's best to hear for yourself and understand it may not have the synergy with some gear or your preferences for a certain sound.
    And as we all know in the field of audio, what is technically better is not always as pleasing to the human ear that has years of being attuned to a certain type of sound.
    The only thing that matters are my ears.
    If it doesn't sound right when we're playing music, who cares if it measures great or flat.

Stix17, Desmodromic and Qwin like this.
  14. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

I am upgrading my Eversolo DMP-A6 music streamer by adding the LPS (LPS-A6 linear power supply), even though my DDC Denafrips Iris 12th and DAC Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1 have galvanic isolation. The LPS upgrade is $285 and I want to know if there's a SQ improvement in my setup/gear and my ears... For $285 I don't want to be wondering....can't take $ with you when you die and the money spent gives a higher return the younger you are.

Music chain: Apple music lossless -> Denafrips Iris 12th -> denafrips Pontus II 12th-1 -> Parasound 2100 preamp -> 2 parasound 2125v2 run like Monoblocks by using only 1 channel of each amp (no bridging, 2nd channel on each amp is unused) -> GoldenEar BRX speakers and 2 sealed subwoofers

I have auditioned the $5k HifiRose RS150, $20k-$26k innous statement with Nextgen external power supply.

I can spare $285 for the LPS because it's way less expensive than Innuous or Hifi Rose with a linear power supply ($2700 HIfi Rose RS250A, $4k Innuous pulse , innuous statement with Nextgen external power supply costs $20k-$26k)

And the Innuous cannot play native Apple Music lossless/hi-res lossless.

My setup:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
    Desmodromic likes this.
  15. Purité Audio

You can buy one but it will be money wasted, look at the measurements of the A-6 is there any sign of power supply issues in the dacs output, no there is not.
    If you simply gained a little technical understanding you wouldn’t be ripped off quite so easily.
    Keith

SausageDog, Imaodoloro and RolandG like this.
  16. Purité Audio

You are quite right none of my business how others waste their money on components that won’t make the slightest difference to sound quality, although that expenditure could be used for actual tangible improvements.
    But if you enjoy being mocked behind your back by the retailer as they sell you another useless gadget then go ahead.
    Keith

fofocho and RolandG like this.
  17. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

Here's a real world example using my ears: I own both the Denon X3700H and the Arcam AVR5 receivers. When audiosciencereview (ASR) said they recommended the Denon but not the Arcam, my ears said No Way!
    For movies, the Denon sounded 3/5, the Arcam 5/5.
    For 2-channels music the Denon sounded 2/5, the Arcam 4/5.

Stix17 likes this.
  18. FunnyChap

FunnyChap Member

YOU have not done a listening a/b comparison to say that something is useless. End of story.

Jone1973 likes this.
  19. Purité Audio

If you understand what measurements mean then in this particular instance ( external power supplies) you don’t need to listen, but if you are seriously going to make a comparison, buy two Eversolo units one with the standard ps the other with the ‘boutique’ , level match and get someone to switch instantly between them , you must not be aware which is playing.
    If you can reliably pick one then you may be in to something.
    That’s how I compare, level matched to .1dB and unsighted.
    Keith

Nutul, octavius and RolandG like this.
  20. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

You know, it gets really boring to read the same things over and over again and from the same people. This is the appropriate place for this kind of discussions http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/measurements-v-ears-dawn-of-audio.97194/

Thx