New firmware v1.2.15 for DMP-A6 release

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by mirror, Nov 10, 2023.

1. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Native. From SMB (my network HDD)

2. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

Yes, Native seems to work for others too. I use D2P and cannot play multichannel .dsf files.

Maybe it is a change in how D2P works on the A6.

3. Jason R

Jason R New Member

Is it normal that I have to turn up volume to at least 40% before I really hear anything from my speakers? Can this be fixed or adjusted in future FW update?

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You have connected the A6 to an amp, right?
    What are you playing? If it is Spotify maybe you need to rise the volume on the phone also...
    Do like this:
    First, play a local file, and see (well, hear...) what happens.

5. Jason R

Jason R New Member

Yes, connected to an amp which is also turned up all the way to max. I’m listening to Apple Music app on A6 or Airplay from phone occasionally.

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Then turn the phone volume up.

7. Jason R

Jason R New Member

The volume is linked/tied to the A6 volume when using AirPlay, so when phone volume for media is at 60%, so is the volume on the A6.

8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Then if the volume is still very low, you might have an impedance discrepancy and/or a gain one.
    But as I said, first try to play a local file, so that the volume only depends on the A6; in order to try to localize the problem.

9. ChrisMu

ChrisMu Member

I wonder if that would be possible to add for Zidoo Neo S ... sometime in the near future ?

10. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

It might be easier for us to assist you if you provide a bit of information.

Which output are you using on the DMP-A6?
    What is the make and model of your amplifier?
    What input are you using on your amplifier?

11. Jason R

Jason R New Member

I’m using the RCA out to RCA input on a Fosi V3.

12. Vinnie

Vinnie Member

+1 for this…and a way to disable scrolling of the title. I’m more interested in seeing the name of the song than half of (20xx Remaster) (Album version) scrolling past

peliase likes this.
  13. Jason R

Jason R New Member

It appears the music controls (play/pause, skip forward/back) on the player are not working when playing via Airplay. Has this already been addressed?

14. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

I would suggest leaving the DMP-A6 volume output at fixed (15 on the scale) and using the volume knob on the Fosi V3 to control the listening level. The DMP-A6 variable volume scales the volume in the digital domain and I believe this could lead to a potential reduction in audio quality, especially when listing at lower volume levels.

I did a bit of research and didn't find anything relevant about the Fosi V3 amp except the attached specification from the user manual which tells me nothing useful about the input sensitivity or input impedance of the amplifier. They don't even quote the gain of the amplifier so it's impossible to even back calculate the input sensitivity. :( Interestingly, the specifications for the DMP-A6 don't quote output level nor recommended amplifier input impedances either. o_O And some audiophiles keep on telling me that specifications are irrelevant in the hi-fi world. :rolleyes:

Now to eliminate any potential variables may I suggest you load a music file onto a USB stick or to the internal memory of the DMP-A6 and try playing that. If the volume is loud enough to drive your Fosi V3 to an adequately loud enough level then the issue is with Airplay streamed from your phone or other device. You will then need to identify what is causing the low level playback. If when playing back from a USB stick the level is still too low then I suspect the Fosi V3 might need to be used with a pre-amplifier to boost the level so it can be driven to its full potential. Another suggestion is to try a different source other than the DMP-A6 to drive your Fosi V3 purely to see if that can drive your Fosi V3 towards full power or loud enough to satisfy your listening needs. Try a CD or DVD player if you have access to such.

I've run my DMP-A6 directly into my ME-850 Hi-Cap power amp from both the RCA connectors and via the XLR outputs and was able to drive it adequately but I'll confess I haven't taken any measurements as I normally use my DMP-A6 with an external DAC.

Fosi V3 specs.png

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Jason R likes this.
  15. Carlos Lima

Carlos Lima New Member

Hi sorry
    SSD 4to and NAS WD

16. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I think this to be expected, as the AirPlay basically remotes the audio device to the A6, but the controlling app is still on your iPhone / iPad...

17. Jason R

Jason R New Member

No, basic music controls should also work on Airplay enabled devices. I have other airplay devices that have no issues controlling music.

18. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Interesting thing; this may rise questions about how (technically) in reality AirPlay works: in order to control the volume, and maintain bit-perfectness at the endpoint, the source should theoretically send a 0dB digital stream. OTOH, if volume control is to be possible on both ends, we (well, you...) may end up with volume being limited by the streamer (your iPhone => not bit-perfect any more) and then by the renderer (the A6, again, even less bit-perfect) resulting in something FAR from being the same hi-res stream.
    At this point pretending AirPlay to be lossless hi-res while corrupting the stream by cutting/dithering bit-depth actually is a total nonsense. At least to me, who has been dealing with writing audio-rendering software for a while already... But maybe I am not totally familiar with AirPlay; I do not stream, in principle.

19. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Dont use AirPlay.... do not trust Apple when they say it is lossless.. The Eversolo shows AAC when playing Airplay, not ALAC, so it is lossless. But even on ALAC, Airplay is limited to 256kbps, so it is true that it is 16/44.1... but with a very low bitrate. When I use Airplay, I have some test songs where the lack of bass is very noticeable

Nutul likes this.
  20. Jason R

Jason R New Member

I agree AirPlay isn’t the best sounding, but the functionality should still work on the A6 just as good as other AirPlay devices.