Dolby Vision Atmos update

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Just to whet everyone's appetite...

I've spent most of this weekend testing Dolby Vision with Atmos (well, lockdown! what else you gonna do!!)

As many will know, up to now dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU MEL Atmos files have been unplayable after a few minutes due to video lag.

After repeated tests with multiple titles, I can confirm that these files, with both Dolby Digital+ Atmos and TrueHD Atmos will play in their entirety with no issues. This will be rolled into an upcoming firmware release but please be patient and please don't ask when (I don't know!).

Mark

2. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Mark, this is what is missing on the forum :)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  3. afss

afss Active Member

Fantastic news ! Thanks for sharing Mark !!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. afss

afss Active Member

Hi Mark, in your view is there any hope for FEL MKV files to be ever supported somehow ? (for instance, apparently Nvidia Shield PRO does, so there maybe a way via firmware) If not, I will start converting all my backups to MEL.

5. Markswift2003

Not natively no - it requires a second HEVC decoder and while VS10 is perfectly capable of dealing with two layers of video, the Realtek SOC as far as I'm aware, is not.

I think the only hope is for conversion to Profile 8 which is single layer, but I’m very suspicious of the process!

In FEL video, the base layer is 10-bit 2160p, the enhancement layer is 10-bit 1080p and this is a “video difference” signal (think component video) between the original 12-bit Dolby Master (or the mezzanine, depending on source) and the 10-bit HDR10 base layer. When the two are “stuck together” you get a true 12-bit video stream which is as close as dammit to the original Dolby Master, albeit compressed.

(by the way, for those that don't know, a Dolby Mezzanine is a compressed version of the Master prepared with the best named bit of software ever - The Mezzinator!)

With the best will in the world, Profile 8 can never be any more than 10-bit video, so even if they are internally processing the recombination of the 12-bit video stream correctly, the output must still be re-encoded to 10-bits so losing data.

I assume that if the Shield is playing FEL files then it's just ignoring the video in the enhancement layer and just using the HDR10 base layer. In that case I'd question whether the RPU is being used either. Either that or some clever bugger has figured out a way to decode the enhancement layer in software?

Whatever potentially happens, it would be a "hack" but that's not to say it wouldn't be worthwhile and sure as hell it'll be interesting!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Polypenko and Cyclion like this.
  6. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

can you elaborate please?
    Does it work with ac3 added as a second track, or does ac3 core need adding to True-HD?
    (Didn’t think this was supported in mkv).
    Thanks.

7. afss

afss Active Member

Thanks for the reply Mark !

8. Markswift2003

True-HD doesn't support a core in the same way as DTS-HD, so if you want an AC3 track as well as the THD one you have to mux it in. I haven't tried extra tracks, but no reason why it would be an issue. If I get chance I'll have a try.

For Dolby Digital+ Atmos, obviously that's backwards compatible anyway so no need for extra tracks.

9. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Mark - this is great news. Thanks for the update.

10. Blue Stinger

Blue Stinger Member

Btw: Nvidia Shield TV Pro only supports DV with BT.709. It is nowhere near the same picture quality / experience as current Zidoo devices with DV @BT.2020

xskip likes this.
  11. Markswift2003

The colour primaries are dictated by the display EDID, so the Shield will output whatever the display EDID says - I have one and it will output DV in BT.2020 if the EDID tells it to and you have the settings correct.

Admittedly the Shield has some odd settings though - nothing like as flexible as the Zidoos.

12. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

great news

even us mushrooms need some loving once in awhile :p

13. Markswift2003

Bit harsh, but funny ;)

14. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks Mark. Can't wait, we're slowly but surely getting there. I just want everything to play smoothly, DV or not.

But if we can also get the black pedestal issue fixed as well then it's already perfect for me, other smaller bugs don't bother me much.

15. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Mark ,i dont suppose you managed to test HDR10+ at same time?

ie Alita DV DA as we all know stutter audio lag after 3 minish

.80 patch broke HDR 10+ and theyre doing it at pretty much the same places and times (TV epis with just the lossy atmos seem ok)

.60/66 was 99.9 perc no issues with them

16. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Maybe this weekend.

17. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Yes, just in time for the holidays!

18. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

Ok, take your time... :)

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Think I may have missed this given it's not been posted in the HDR10+ thread. What issue is this exactly? - I've updated to 6.0.80 and have zero issues playing back HDR10+ titles

20. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

tv epis in hdr10+ no issues
    Alita in hdr10+ was showing all the same stutters and almost as much audio lag playing hdr10+ vs DV
    i even did a full clean makemkv with the new .54 of Alita just to confirm it was happening

its listed early on on the .80 page when i ran through a load of different movies,plus mentioned a few times as well