Dolby Vision Atmos update

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

This is my first rip using MakeMKV of my UHD disc of "Valerian And The City of a Thousand Planets". Does it look right from the MediaInfo report. Visual looks very good but I'm not knowledgeable in the technical aspects of Dolby Vision. Are there any techniques to improve?

Attached Files:

2. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

You can't change much in this regard with makeMKV to begin with. Remux looks fine to me. Only aspect I'd change its to select the DD track of the TrueHD/Atmos track as well for compatibility reasons, but this is just a personal preference.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Since the Zidoos, Dunes and Zappitis of this world discard the enhancement layer, there's an argument for getting rid of it in the file (equally, there's argument for keeping it for possible future players too!).

P7 and P8 both use the same HDR10(+) base layer and the same dynamic metadata so there is absolutely no difference in presentation between them as far as the Zidoo is concerned. P8 however, does not have an enhancement layer so converting to P8 will save between 5 and 8GB of storage for FEL and between 1 and 2GB for MEL titles, all of which is superfluous to the player.

Personally, once I've watched a Dolby Vision remux, I encode the HDR10(+) base layer with StaxRip, convert the RPU (Dolby Vision metadata) to P8 and inject it back into the encoded base layer. This gives me a Profile 8 Dolby Vision encode, usually about 25GB, with no discernible difference to the original and full dynamic metadata.

dr4go likes this.
  4. m0j0

m0j0 New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  5. Guyard

Guyard New Member

Hello, first time posting here. I've searched for my answer all night, but couldnt find a clue.

I'm trying to play a rip of Foundation. It's encoded Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086 in MKV container (Atmos Audio).

Episode starts, and after 5-6 seconds, picture freezes completely and audio continues. After 20-25 seconds, audio stops as well (picture still frozen).
    Episodes are on synology NAS

I've tried to:
    factory reset
    disable buffer setting in advanced
    enable playback performance mode
    active auto in hdr, then vs10 for dv content
    Test with SMB (v2 min.) then with NFS

Nothing works. I'm 1gb wired. I can play 80GB mkv with no issue, but this DV file does not work. Really strange because if I move forward, I see picture and sound, but after few seconds it will get frozen.

Any idea? (really sorry if it was already answered)

6. Netmask

Which model do you have? Could there be a difference the way models perform? I have all the eps of Foundation as DV and have all played back perfectly. I routinely out of habit with my old Popcorn make sure my rips only have vision, English language soundtrack and English language subs. I strip out or not include what I don’t need . It makes the file a tad smaller but does make the file less complex or dense and on the Popcorn made the difference.

7. Guyard

Guyard New Member

I have z9x

8. Netmask

Post a MediaInfo report on the file in question (Tree -text mode)

9. Markswift2003

Given it’s a Profile 8 file I assume it’s a home brew Dolby Vision file - either an encode or a Profile 7 conversion.

The Zidoo plays Profile 8 no problems as long as the file is Dolby compliant, in particular the RPU so I would assume it’s one of the more dodgy conversions you have there.

There’s a lot of badly done Dolby Vision stuff knocking about at the moment.

10. Guyard

Guyard New Member

Dont know if it helps

GENERAL
    Format : Matroska

VIDEO
    Format : HEVC
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 1 920 pixels
    Frame Rate : 23.976 FPS
    Display aspect ratio : 2,000
    Format profile : Main 10@L5@High
    Bitrate : ~ 3 041 kb/s
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

AUDIO #1
    Format : E-AC-3 : Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos
    Title : French
    Language : Français
    Channel(s) : 6 canaux
    Bitrate : 768 kb/s
    Sampling Rate : 48,0 kHz

AUDIO #2
    Format : E-AC-3 : Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos
    Title : English
    Language : Anglais
    Channel(s) : 6 canaux
    Bitrate : 768 kb/s
    Sampling Rate : 48,0 kHz

SUBTITLE #1
    Format : UTF-8
    Title : French Forced
    Forced : Oui

SUBTITLE #2
    Title : French
    Forced : Non

SUBTITLE #3
    Title : English
    Language : Anglais
    Forced : Non

11. Markswift2003

The MediaInfo report looks fine, but that wouldn't tell you what's wrong in the RPU. As I say, probably a dodgy encode.

12. Guyard

Guyard New Member

Thank you Mark.

Do you know where I could find dolby vision samples that would assess my player? (and everything behind: vertex2 / avr / epson 5050ub).

I'd like to be sure I don't have a faulty z9x, because I can still return it to amazon untill Saturday

13. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Next to a possible RPU issue, I find 3041 kbps suspiciously low for a 4K HDR10 encode. Did you try to play it with output set to HDR?
    The aspect ratio also looks odd.

14. Markswift2003

I very much doubt it's the hardware - because these devices are firmware driven, hardware faults tend to manifest in more physical problems rather than what you describe.

There are a couple of DV samples here:

https://4kmedia.org/tag/dolby-vision/

15. m0j0

m0j0 New Member

What firmware version are you running?

16. Guyard

Guyard New Member

The last public one, and I tried with the last beta firmware

ive tried different dv samples. No problem. I guess youre right, issue comes from the file

17. m0j0

m0j0 New Member

Have you tried with .75 beta version? If not, I would suggest that.

18. Markswift2003

Usually does ;)