Dolby Vision Atmos update

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Dec 20, 2020.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I appreciate I'm jumping in here and apologies if I am off track.

My MEL Profile 7 BDMV Folder Structure to MKV file conversions produce wonderful PQ in LLDV on my non-DV display. Having watched The Hobbit trilogy over the past few weekends, I can most definately say that LLDV playback is much better than the HDR10 base layer playback using the folder structure. On my Zidoo 1000 Pro, I'm seeing some of the best quality film productions I've ever seen ripping my Titles this way. Add full fat Dolby True HD 7.1 Atmos and the viewing experience has been simply wow! I've yet to compare LLDV and HDR10+ this way but I will soon rip my Alita Blu-ray which I believe has a HDR10+ base layer and is MEL 7. I'm guessing there will not be much difference.

So when you say "Zidoo could do something similar" I believe they are and some.

2. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

I have the LOTR mkv version with mel and it looks fantastic, but the problem is with the mkv files from fel there zidoo sees only HDR10 and nothing else, so it is just in Back to the future, it only sees HDR10, now I ran it on shiled with kodi 19 matrix with a DV fix and there the DV layer starts

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello Rozel,

SWorry but I'm not sure what you mean, with your BDMV you use the following option ?

Display/HDR/ LLDV

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I understand the situation with FEL, I was simply responding to the suggestion that the Zidoo does not give great DV (LLDV in my case) compared with HDR10. Hopefully Zidoo will sort out FEL reproduction (using their single HW gizmo) whilst retaining the RPU. I'm patient :)
    EDIT: The Hobbit and LOTR are MEL Profile 7 discs, just in case there's confusion.

My Zidoo is almost permanently set to Display/ HDR AUTO. My Vertex2 sorts the EDID. I have a great Custom EDID installed which let's me leave the Zidoo set to HDR AUTO. Playing a BDMV Folder structure = base layer reproduction and converting this to an mkv file (I use MakeMKV 1.15.4) = LLDV reproduction.

Hope this helps

5. OlivierQC

ok thank you for your explanation :)

I also use the AUTO mode but I don't have vertex2

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

See PM

7. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

I don’t agree, I think those movies with noticeable colour issues on the shield look better in HDR10 on the shield, BUT this is where it gets murky, I dont rate the HDR10 picture on the shield, because when DV kicks in it passes the picture to the TV to be tone mapped, this gives a pseudo effect of the picture being brighter, maybe it is maybe it isn’t - the fact is in both modes it is wrong!
    I know I keep saying it but get a player that is considered to have reference HDR10 playback and the official Dolby SDK for profile 7 and you will see how wrong the Shield is.
    Now the Zidoo, rightly or wrongly I prefer the VS10 implementation of HDR10 on my LGC9 (TV led processing ) compared to anything the shield can do, but it will never be able to make a good job of FEL titles that really do require enhancement layer.

8. afss

afss Active Member

I do prefer the picture on the Zidoo as well - If they manage to interpret the RPU on FEL MKV DV files, I see no reason to keep my Shield.

9. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

The Zidoo and the shield are for two different uses, the Zidoo has a better picture quality but doesn't work with streaming services like nexflix, whereas the shield is pecfect for streaming, or using as a powerfull chromecast with atmos support but hasn't the best picture quality. Having the two is a good idea I think.

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Very good point - we're not sure what the Shield does to produce a DV output from a FEL source but regardless of opinion, the Zidoo handles FEL titles correctly by playing the HDR10 base layer in HDR10.

There is an argument that outputting BL+RPU for FEL titles is a valid option since the EL is only bringing the image up to true 12-bit using residual data from the 12-bit source.

This is technically an issue if the base layer is mapped to 1000nit and the content was mastered on a 4000nit display but since there are no commercial displays that get anywhere near that, in the real world it makes bugger all difference - and we're only talking specular highlights way above diffuse white so the overall APL will be pretty much the same.

ammar11 likes this.
  11. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Here is a snippet on the Shield from some guy testing the Shield against other sources:-

“The Shield is like a slightly gaudy version of the X700. In overall tone it is closer to the X700 than the Vero, but I think it’s a touch too warm and there is a slight loss of detail (this is quite noticeable when comparing Spiderman Homecoming across sources).”

I tend to agree - Gaudy, Warm, lacking in detail, I think we need to stop saying the Shield does this and that, it doesn’t do anything correctly - the Zidoo has a better picture processing engine and hopefully it’s potential can be realised - but it will never truly reproduce Profile 7 FEL, end of.

12. wicket

wicket New Member

I already had the shield 2019 pro and I returned it to amazon the "red push" suffered it, and I do not need it for streaming applications I have a sony af9 television and there I see them, I hope that zidoo z9x accepts all the dolby vision formats

13. OlivierQC

Hello,

I just read a message on another forum, the person uses an old Canada Dry slogan to talk about Zidoo and its support of the DV.

Dolby Vision Canada Dry. It looks like Dolby Vision but it doesn't taste like it.

Is it true?

14. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not even close.

15. OlivierQC

Cool thanks Mark,

16. OlivierQC

Hello,

On this forum, members like rozel talk about tweak with vertex2, edid, etc... is it to have a better DV quality?

Is it the ideal to have a vertex 2 to get the most out of DV with our Zidoo or not ?

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

A really good question.

My aim with the HDfury Vertex2 was and is to play DV titles on my Samsung TV, a non-DV Display. I seem to be doing that very well indeed so now my TV will play titles in HDR10, HDR10+ and LLDV. I'm doing a lot of comparisons between HDR10 and LLDV and my view is definately LLDV is far better. Comparisons between HDR10+ and LLDV are work in progress.

On the main part of your question, I shall bow to the comments that hopefully @Markswift2003 will make ;)

18. OlivierQC

Thanks Rozel,

I didn't see that your TV wasn't DV, is that why you use a vertex2 ?

I'm asking questions because ordinary users like me who come on the forum might get lost with the different messages on different threads talking about Dolby vision, vertex2, edid, etc... it's Chinese language for us.

19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@OlivierQC - Absolutely yes, this is definately the reason I'm using it. At first I got a HDfury AVR Key because I wanted a "splitter" as the Zidoo only has 1 x HDMI out. But then I read it was possible with a Vertex2 to do more and literally see DV titles on my non-DV TV. But in the last couple of months I've learned much more about EDID tweaking and I'm looking forward to seeing what benefits the latest firmware brings to the table under the heading "EDID Enhamcements / Optimisation", once my firmware download finishes - been downloading it for an hour already and not even half-way there lol! I'm still learning about EDID stuff but I've seen enough to justify my initial findings as mentioned above and once I've compared HDR10+ and LLDV naturally, I shall post here :)

Hope this helps

20. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

I wonder if the Beelink gt-king Pro player is able to read DV FEL, the description shows that it has two processors and is able to read 4k + fullhd at the same time

Attached Files: