Dolby Vision Atmos update

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Basically you just need to rip a UHD Dolby Vision BluRay disc with the latest version of MakeMKV but it must be a title with a Minimal Enhancement Layer (MEL) as opposed to a Full Enhancement Layer (FEL)

When you open the disc and look for the main video stream (the largest!) MakeMKV will tell you what it is, so if it's MEL, you'll see something like:

"MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1 (dvhe.07.06 BL+MEL+RPU)"

Or if it's a FEL title, it'll say "FEL"

Another option is to look for some Dolby Vision demos, paying attention to how they are encoded.

Attached Files:

2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thank you Mark - believe it or not I've been wading through the Makemkv forum - early days for me still but things are sinking in a bit more now.

I appreciate your help, as always.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  3. xskip

xskip Active Member

4. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

if not real4k or fake4k, it's mel fel, and how to understand it all ...

5. Genadi

Genadi Member

I hope with the new firmware to finally see "4k" Dolby Vision on my lg 55uh8500

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thank you - this will be very useful

7. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Hi I have converted some FEL titles to Mel, I have used this method with the bat files
    https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=96282#p96282

The zidoo z9x with the newest firmware 6.0.80 plays the mkv files and triggers Dolby Vision. But after some time the videos begin to stutter. The mkv files i created are (dvhe.07.06 Bl+Mel+Rpu) and they don't have an Atmos track.

Like I said, everything works but after a short time the videos are stuttering and they don't have a atmos track, will the future update solve these stuttering problems ?
    Sorry if this question is already answered somewhere.
    And sorry for my bad English and happy Christmas to all

Osmar likes this.
  8. afss

afss Active Member

Going back to the topic of MEL versus FEL MKV playback, maybe the Nvidia Shield Pro is currently just ignoring the FEL layer (just as it was an empty MEL layer, full of zeros), and only applying the Dynamic Tone Mapping using the RPU metadata on those FEL MKV DV files. If this is the case, as a future development, it maybe possible for Zidoo to do the same (as it is a similar process as it is currently done for MKV MEL DV titles). Why would this be important ? Well, I would very much like to keep the FEL data within my MKV files (instead of permanently discarding it by "converting" it to MEL or profile 8), so that on a future HW upgrade, other players may eventually be able to use it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    ammar11 and Osmar like this.
  9. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Agreed, I want to keep my FEL data for future use. Don’t want to rip my collection again.

Osmar likes this.
  10. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Rip with mkvtoolnix to mkv, you will only get HDR10 playback but the fel data should be intact for future processing.
    You may need to check that base layer is set to default stream but this can be edited later if needs be.

11. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

It’s not about getting FEL, but to keep it. I use MakeMKV 1.15.4, it rips FEL data and Zidoo playbacks as HDR10 as well. Point is I don’t want to convert to MEL just to get DV and in future rip again to get FEL back, unless I have excessive disk space and keep the original rip after converting.

PS: Is it new firmware day yet?

Osmar likes this.
  12. DaMacFunkin

Don’t rip with makemkv if you want future FEL compatibility, it discards it.
    Please re-read what I said, ripping with mkvtoolnix will not covert to MEL it will keep the FEL in a different stream for later processing which is what you require.

13. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Is dv important for projector user? I think projectors don't support dv.

14. afss

afss Active Member

Yes, by using the LLDV "hack" with any of the Hdfury devices, allows projector users to take advantage of DV. I can see a noticeable difference on my JVC RS540 projector, using my Zidoo with MEL MKV playback via LLDV versus plain HDR10 MKV playback.

rozel likes this.
  15. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member

At least I an happy with DV & DDP 5.1 Amos in mp4. It auto trigger DV & 23.976fps.

Attached Files:

16. DaMacFunkin

Hi, that file doesn’t contain Dolby Vision, you either have VS10 engine active or LLDV output selected.

17. DaMacFunkin

P.S. disappointing movie, I streamed it from HBO in DV/Atmos and you know what they say, you can’t polish a turd.

darkeyes909 likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Good trailer though :)

19. DaMacFunkin

Yep, problem is Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wigg are 2 actors I really like but their characters in this are actually pitiful.

darkeyes909 likes this.
  20. Peter Cheung

Peter Cheung Member