Beta version v6.4(7).42 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000/NEO S/NEO X/NEO Alpha release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Oct 18, 2022.

1. khollister

khollister Member

Not sure what software you are using to rip, but MakeMKV rips playlists, not individual files. Even though the different versions of a film may use seamless branching to assemble that particular version, MakeMKV will rip and assemble the versions into separate MKV's which you then label as mentioned. This works perfectly on teh Star Trek films you mentioned - I have them both and have the various versions available in HT.

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

At some point in the past trailers were blocked for Kodi as well. There was a workaround developed to start your own project on Google and use own API keys to get trailers going. Yes it was few minutes to figure it all out but it worked at the end. I would be more than happy to set up my own Google account just for that and log into YouTube or take the time and generate API keys in order to keep trailers going. It’s so convenient to have it automatic online. I do have my own trailers for my premium collection.

Oldpainless and Tarantula like this.
  3. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

SmartTube works very well on the Zidoo and no need to have the G version to install it. You log-in to your Google account and that's it. Could it be "linked" to the trailers player?

mytich, vddan and Oldpainless like this.
  4. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Are the online trailers working for anybody with G version and YouTube installed and logged in to your account?

G firmware is somehow problematic in general and can't be easily revered to non G.

5. Ovidiu Ogrean

Ovidiu Ogrean New Member

No, they dont.

3DBuff likes this.
  6. Petga

Petga Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I also use MakeMKV for ripping.
    However, MakeMKV does not create an MKV, but a BDMV structure.
    So I don't understand your contribution.
    But even if it were, it wouldn't change the fact that many BD menus don't work on my UHD3000.
    And I still say: Zidoo advertises the function that BD menus work.
    So Zidoo has to make this function possible.

Letmein likes this.
  7. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

We are offering you an alternative that indeed works.. it's up to you whether you want to follow it so you can enjoy those movies on your player right now or if you would rather die on the hill of the " menus are supposed to work and they don't complaint " and go without. Seems like you have made your decision.

khollister likes this.
  8. khollister

khollister Member

I have never understood the desire to use BD menus myself. While it is a little simpler to rip the whole disc rather than create the labels for the separate MKV's, I much prefer not having to wade through menu screens, copyright warnings and previews (older BD's) with the disc menus. Love going right to the start of the film.

To each his own.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

same, I just download remuxes or rips where it's only the movie, much easier and no problems.

10. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

I am unsure how you are using the software, but the name of the program does give away what it is designed for - making an MKV file :D
    I've never created a BDMV structure using MakeMKV, only .mkv's, so I don't know how you are using it.
    Once you load a disk or file, what happens when you click on "Make MKV"??

Netmask likes this.
  11. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Me too, I’ve been using MakeMKV since it came out! I own a licence. Only ever made MKV files. You can backup a BD disc but menus and extras don’t hold any interest for me. I like to cut to the chase and watch the movie without any of the “cinema experience” before hand.

12. khollister

khollister Member

Not the OP obviously, but when you initially load a disc in MakeMKV, there is a backup option that creates the BDMV folder. Once you click on the drive image to decrypt and read the playlists, that option is grayed out and you are in "MKV mode". If you do select backup, there is a dialog with an option to decrypt the AV files in the BDMV folder or to simply make an encrypted backup of the disc "as is".

I get the "it should work as advertised" thing, but Zidoo is hardly the first or last technology company to offer a software based product where something is buggy. Even if your collection is all BDMV folders, MakeMKV can read those folders to create individual MKV's without having to grind through the original optical disc (much faster).

I realize there is a non-trivial amount of work involved in converting and labeling the MKV's for a sizable collection, but when I got the Z9X last year, I reripped my entire blu-ray collection (several hundred discs that I had previously run through Handbrake to further compress originally) as well as started ripping my 4K UHD collection from scratch (about 350 discs as of today). It wasn't that bad (I had 2 Pioneers and 1 LG drive going). If you want the picture quality of the Zidoo and the options in HT that other devices don't offer, I figure you just have to suck it up and use a media format the device can utilize and quit stressing over stuff that is likely never going to change.

If BDMV/ISO playback is the hill you want to die on, just get a Dune box and live with the other compromises on that platform.

Deano86 likes this.
  13. Markus2121

Markus2121 New Member

Yes, u look like u have a lot of time on your hand and money to spend too. No thanks, I don't want to re-rip mkvs cause zidoo can't perform a basic function, and no I don't have the money to get a Dune. These are non-solutions we can already think of anyways, we don't need to be told the obvious such as "get a player for every function".

We also know everything is buggy. All software is. Chrome is buggy. IE is buggy. It's a question of how buggy. Zidoo is way too buggy with playing menus. As far as Menu playback goes it should not have mentioned or it should have been released as an alpha-release feature, not even ready for beta. Yet somehow it's considered part of the stable firmware of zidoo. Thanks but no thanks.

Six66Mike likes this.
  14. Markus2121

Markus2121 New Member

So the previous updates were not released during COVID? supply chines were not disrupted at those times? It doesn't matter what you say, because people are now skeptical of zidoo, so then you can sit and celebrate zidoo's achievements and non-achievements with your few remaining buddies in this forum.

15. Petga

Petga Member

It is nice for you that you do not need BD menus.
    There are so many functions that are important to other users but do not interest me.
    But that's why I don't dismiss these wishes of other users or write here in the forum that these functions don't interest me.
    Why should I do that?
    Exactly this lecturing behaviour of some users is the reason why I give most forums a wide berth.
    I thought it would be better in this forum, but unfortunately there are some sheriffs here who think they have to judge the wishes of others. What a pity!
    I also wonder why you find it so difficult to accept that a user expects a function advertised by the manufacturer to work.
    Such "comments" are wonderful for Zidoo.
    As soon as a user writes that something doesn't work properly, some users immediately come on the scene and loudly announce how unimportant this function is.
    Zidoo can feel vindicated and continue to neglect this function.

16. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

@Petga
    Yes we all use media players in a different way. But don't worry Zidoo is extremely aware of that and tries to balance and judge feature requests. Faults simply should be fixed and for cosmetic faults it is less urgent but still a goal.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    darkeyes909 likes this.
  17. khollister

khollister Member

The point of my post was to offer an alternative way to use the box that ultimately gets to the same end (access to alternate cuts and special features) that avoids an apparently long-standing issue. This appears to have been an issue for some time across multiple versions, so continuing to get frustrated and angry rather than adapting to the Zidoo way of doing things or moving to another platform that better aligns to one's priorities seems counter-productive IMHO. I'm trying to be realistic rather than "right".

I guess the moral of the story is "no good deed goes unpunished"

darkeyes909 likes this.
  18. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

On line trailers is not working for me any more…..:(

darky_zidoo likes this.
  19. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Another good site is https://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/ (in .mov format). Its been running since 2001 and still going strong.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

We all only cry about it :(:(:(

darky_zidoo likes this.