ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Check Home Theater thread. It's not very clear why some of the trailers don't play. Most likely it is stream compatibility issue between Zidoo software player used for trailers and YouTube streaming format. You can download your own trailers. More info here.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I think there's a geographical issue with trailers too - I'm in the UK and most work, but I know that's not necessarily the case everywhere.

As @3DBuff says, it's easy enough to add your own.

Trailer Addict is a good source:

https://www.traileraddict.com/

3. bill22

bill22 New Member

Good morning all,

I would like to know if the image quality on the Zidoo Z9X is better than on the nvidia shield 2019?

And also knowing that the Zidoo is not optimized for streaming, could I still take advantage of its internal player and its VS10 graphics engine if I use netflix and other app Android ?

Thanks for your feedback

4. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

@Markswift2003,

I'm not sure but it seems to me that you had done a test about the PQ of the Z9X or is this Sledgehamma ?

If yes, do you have a link to give me ?

See you

5. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

20200913_090617.jpg 20200913_090631.jpg 20200913_090644.jpg 20200913_090829.jpg Ok, I have had a play to try to resolve this 1080 output thing. It's kind of weird.
    It all started after I installed the latest 035 G firmware.
    I have now done factory reset, reverted back to non G firmware.
    Played with settings as outlined in this forum, eg HDR, Auto HDR, EDID ignore etc etc.
    Last night after installing non G firmware I set HDR Mapping to HDR 10 (Not Auto) and output was all good , even the gui menu was output 3840x2160.
    Started unit up this morning, HDR mapping had reset itself back to Auto and menu and 4k movies output again at 1920x1080...even setting HDR10 did not resolve.
    Did factory restore on this non G firmware, set unit up again (It's very easy) and still outputs only 1920x1080, even though the 'info' screen tells me it's outputing 3840x2160 @ 60hz.
    Maybe it is something to do with the gui. It was working perfect prior to my 'G' f/w install.
    Here are a few shots from my phone of the settings and a 4K movie...
    I am aware that this is a new machine so this isn't a complaint, maybe the next FW update will sort it out.
    Any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Cheers. View attachment 4772 View attachment 4773 View attachment 4774 View attachment 4775

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

oops, sorry for the large images.

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Never seen the output mode being reported erroneously. Why do you think it is incorrect?
    There is a nice snapshot feature build-in to Zidoo players by the way. Just couple it to a colored key to use it.

8. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Thanks Nice Monkey.
    The Tv input info would normally say 3840x2160/60P to match the output of the Zidoo, and has done previously.
    Also just noticed that if I have HDR mode set to Auto, if I then try to change HDMI Mode to anything other than Auto(3840x2160 60Hz) the settings app crashes.
    eg. selecting any one of the next four resolutions down the list.

9. Nice Monkey

What TV do you have? Try ignore EDID and choose a 3840P setting next.

10. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

It's a non DV Samsung NU8000.
    It's funny how it was working before huh.
    Will have another play later today, have to mow the lawn while the sun is shinning:cool:
    Thanks for you help and suggestions Nice Monkey.

11. Nice Monkey

Last try would be a full factory reset using the emergency ROM reload using the PIN procedure.
    You are then absolutely back to original.

Enjoy the nice weather and your nicely cut lawn.

12. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Yeah, that's what my next step will be. Already downloaded the image.

13. Markswift2003

@Sledgehamma is working on a review at the moment although we're still waiting on some (quite big) final bug fixes. As soon as he's done it'll be posted on AVS and no doubt linked here.

I have both Shield and the Z9S but haven't done a comparison - the Zidoo's strengths lie in it's local file ability and the Shield on it's online capability. Online stuff is a bit of a compromise with the Zidoo and local playback is a bit of a compromise with the Shield which is why I have both.

3DBuff likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Completely agree with @Nice Monkey - full ROM reset needed.

I've never seen this behaviour through all the testing, but for the settings app to crash and HDR to reset isn't normal either. I had an instance where a firmware to fix one specific issue was pushed to my box and that resulted in the language resetting on a restart and subsequent firmware that didn't contain this bug didn't fix it, so there does seem to be the odd glitch with firmware updates.

Couple of points about your setup - make sure <automatic frame rate> is set for "switch frame rate and resolution" and <colour settings> for <4K 23~30Hz> is set to "Priority YUV444 10BIT"

Below are my recommendations:

Zidoo Z9X
    =========

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode: Switch frame rate and resolution

Display/HDR: Auto*
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 10BIT
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8BIT
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Color Region: 16-235**
    Display/HDMI Mode: 3840x2160p 23Hz***

Audio/HDMI Audio: RAW
    Audio/Downmix HD Audio output: OFF

* or Mapping HDR for permanent HDR10 or VS10 for permanent HDR/SDR/LLDV/DV depending on EDID
    ** This sets 64 - 940 for 10-bit content
    *** This is personal preference & set this last since changing HDR mode resets HDMI Mode

15. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@Bertrum, can you run HDMI cable directly from Zidoo to the TV and check again?

Someone else had issues with resolution and video quality. It was his receiver doing some video enhancements and rescaling.

16. Bertrum

Bertrum Member

Thanks Guys,
    I just got back to report that I ran the cable direct to tv and thus figured it was the Marantz 6012 receiver in the end.
    I have scaling and enhancements turned off in it tho.
    I have now changed hdmi input on the receiver and all seems good again.
    Seems weird that a firmware upgrade triggered the Marantz to go wonky on me. Maybe it is some edid conflict with the receiver. Out of my bounds for my little brain there tho.
    I had also done the full ROM reset and tomorrow will check my settings against your suggestions thanks Mark.
    Much appreciated!
    Good Night.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  17. st39.6

st39.6 New Member

Hi, everyone,

I´m new Z9X user and would like to ask for an advice on following:

- Is there any way whatsoever to install an officialy unsopported APK (not from Google Play) and use it? I´ve managed to install one (HBO GO in Android TV version, as the mobile one is pretty much useless ...), but the app itself is invisible in the ZIDOO Launcher and therefore "unopenable".
    - Is there a way to use different launcher? I´ve installed an alternative launcher which is supposed to "see" unsupported apps, but there doesnt seem to be a way to activate it ...

Reason I´m asking is: I´d like to use Android TV versions of some apps (if thats even possible? ...) as some mobile ones dont really work well in ZIDOO, but I havent yet managed to succeed.

Thanks for your help
    st

18. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

You can side load APK's by copying to them to attached storage (such as USB, NAS or external drive) and then use Media Centre (really a file browser) to locate and run.

19. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Can you not just go into the ‘Apps’ app on the Zidoo and choose to add the installed app to the home screen?

20. st39.6

st39.6 New Member

No. Thats the problem. ZIDOO simply doesnt show them if those apps are sideloaded.