ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Hi Mark, if you've access to the developers, may I ask for this EDID to be auto detected as 4K HDR TV (or even 4K SDR TV is fine)?
    The manual override is a little troublesome, as it still intermittently switches back to 1080p (35G firmware).
    Thank you!

2. Tomasek

Tomasek New Member

Greetings, I would like to consult. When I play z9x mkv, they play fine or they change here and there. When I release mkv Dolby Vision it doesn't start at all. I have to turn it hard on the back to play a movie. You don't know what it could be. When I play a TS file with Dolby Vision, it sometimes plays and sometimes only plays HDR. Do you think the new firmware will fix it? Thank you for your help.

3. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Well... I have a C9 and you can’t watch any output in DV...
    My Oppo clone will let you set LLDV output and it makes sense that active HDR on the TV is better (which it is on the C9, not the C7 but that is a different story) because LG know what the screens capabilities, peak luminance and roll off actually are, the source player doesn’t.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The player also knows the TV's capabilities from the Dolby block in the TV's EDID and the Dolby algo sets the output accordingly. Swings and roundabouts - it's all experimentation at this stage.

5. Markswift2003

That's not how it works I'm afraid - the player doesn't detect an EDID as such, it just does what the EDID says - so if the EDID says 2K max, that what the player has to do.

Can you give details of exactly what's wrong with "Ignore EDID" - ie under what circumstances it doesn't work then we can submit a bug report - remember, the devs need to be able to replicate issues to find out why they happen.

6. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

That will be me! Didn't get new TV just so I can enable DV functions on the Z9X! I'll take whatever I can get.

7. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

In the Calman thread people say that Dolby is set to Slight roll off then hard clip, I’m lucky I have done a cal and uploaded my profile so I don’t notice it as much, in HDR mode I have set a custom curve to start roll off earlier as per the Sony models, as such HDR titles look better in HDR, Dolby Vision titles look better in Dolby Vision, setting HDR to Dolby LLDV on either the Zidoo or the Oppo produces a slightly darker picture, you probably wouldn’t believe it was darker till you saw a comparison but it is.
    I agree, Dolby is a closed shop and no one understands exactly what ‘magic’ it is doing.

8. Markswift2003

No, I totally agree it's darker for the same gamma curve (don't have an Oppo). Although black clips more or less correctly (It's around 68), near black is crushed more than it should be, so the lower knee of the PQ curve it follows must be very shallow. You can correct this with your own gamma by raising the curve at that point.

I'd like to try VS10 HDR or even SDR but unfortunately although black clipping is again correct relative to the black floor, that black floor is itself raised so I think the whole signal is raised a few levels.

Even LLDV is slightly raised but a lot less noticable than VS10 HDR and VS10 SDR is way way off!

9. Markswift2003

Did a few tests on LLDV/DV output with the various DV profiles using a standard DV EDID and an LLDV EDID.

Depending on EDID, of course you can force either DV or LLDV conversion in any mode (by choosing VS10 or LLDV HDR mode), but with HDR set to <AUTO> these are the results I get:

upload_2020-9-8_13-41-54.png

In the case of Profile 7 MEL MKV and Profile 8 MKV where DV or LLDV is output I'm not sure exactly what is happening, whether or not VS10 is using the RPU to process the output or whether it's just using the static HDR10 SEI from the base layer as it would if converting a standard HDR10 stream to DV/LLDV.

I don't have any Profile 9 to test, but I'd assume that would just produce the SDR base layer. Actually - thinking about it, Profile 9 would probably come out as DV/LLDV since there's no enhancement layer.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Tomasek and destroyer2usa like this.
  10. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Did that with Godzilla KIng of the Monsters and 1917. Godzilla play back in DV but 1917 in HDR10 even though I remuxed the same way. The DV does have issues as already mentioned. Mostly starts with a green screen - but if I fast forward it comes back and stays. However after a few minutes the picture starts to stutter.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  11. Markswift2003

Was Godzilla MEL and 1917 FEL?

You can see this is MakeMKV when you open the disc and hopefully MediaInfo will support DV MKVs in the next release. Hopefully.

12. rigip

rigip New Member

Hello, I have a question related to the one above. I believe 1917 is a FEL disc and godzilla MEL. I understand this box will likely never play DV ISO or Profile 7 dual layer, dual track files and that is fine for me. However I am having problems playing FEL dual layer,single track either as profile 4 TS or profile 7 MKV. The FEL files only play in HDR10. Is there any way to get this box to play FEL DV either as MKV, TS or MP4 rather than outputting it as HDR10 (without using VS10 to convert). If not is there a plan to be implement it? At least the shield attempts to play FEL even if there are issues right now.

13. Markswift2003

Regardless of how the enhancement later is encoded, my understanding is that there is no provision (either lardware or licensing) for the encoding required to combine the layers into full fat 12-bit DV, so with FEL streams the device will always revert to the base layer, which in the case of Profile 7 is HDR10.

You can convert the base layer to DV or LLDV by forcing it (depends on EDID) which is what I believe the Shield does.

14. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Yes spot on missed that.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

15. Tomasek

Tomasek New Member

Through which program did you make the ISO MEL.

16. Kylin Tang

Kylin Tang New Member

I have not tried it. I can do the deletion on Synology webUI. I think the reason you cannot delete files is that you have not granted appropriate privileges for the NFS fold. You may check the NFS settings on Synology and try again.

17. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your feedback.

Firstly, the EDID as decoded by Mirror and yourself, one can see the TV reports 4K resolution. Not sure why Z9X does not pick up the 4K resolution?

Secondly, on the Ignore EDID issues:
    a. Once I force 4K resolution, I cannot force HDR colorspace, it is stuck at Rec.709. Not sure if this is a bug, or designed to be locked to Rec.709.
    b. After setting 4K resolution, if I reboot the Z9X, the Z9X reverts to 2K/1080p. For some strange reason, it does not remember the "forced 4K resolution" across reboots. This seems to be a bug.

Thanks again.

18. Markswift2003

I used DVDFab to backup the discs to an ISO and MakeMKV to produce the MKVs.

Tomasek likes this.
  19. Markswift2003

It's a really weird EDID - yes, the Detailed Timings show 3840x2160 but there's no CEA extension which is where all the good stuff lives so I can understand why the Z9X doesn't recognise it as a 4K TV. I've never seen an EDID like that in a TV before, only a monitor.

Tomorrow I'll load that EDID and play with the Ignore EDID settings and try to see what's going on there...

One comment I will make is that the Ignore EDID setting is to do with resolution and not HDR and the EDID for you TV doesn't mention HDR at all because that resides in the CEA Extension which doesn't exist!

I think the only way you're going to resolve this is with an HDFury device, but I'll have a play with it tomorrow and see what's what.

20. Tomasek

Tomasek New Member

Thank you, I used. but when i did the ISO the image went to my HDR10 + and unfortunately not Dolby Vision. I can't figure out how to make my movie in Dolby Vision. I have z9x.