ZIDOO Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. kenneth2281

kenneth2281 New Member

thanks what about the Netflix app where do i get that

2. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

3. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I'm getting an LG CX next week - my first TV with Dolby Vision. I'm therefore a newbie with DV.

I suppose its not just as simple as playing a full BD UHD with DV and get DV output?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's a really big question! But in a word, sorry, No.

pcristi likes this.
  5. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

In theory, you have to make a remux from your completes or isos using this program, you can download here
    http://makemkv.com

But it will not work without issues

6. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Thought that would be the case.

So what DV options does the Z9X bring to the table?
    Thanks - I'll give that a give a go. Yes I can see there are issues at the moment - buts its early days!

7. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

If it has the same problems as with the C9 or C8, then none, (constant black resynch screens) if you are looking for a reliable and accurate player for your UHD blu ray then all the android based players have problems, the team that cracks it will probably clean up.

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

DV in fact is optional on the UHD/HDR Blu Ray standard and many UHD/HDR BD Discs, UHD/HDR BD players, UHD/HDR AMP's and UHD/HDR TV's won't include support for DV.
    Taken that into account then and only then I agree with you that all Android based players have problems with UHD BD with DV (most won't support it at all).

9. DaMacFunkin

Hi mate I should have stated Playback of Dolby vision UHD blu ray, no one is currently interested in playback of UHD HDR rips, there are lots of products on the market that do this and some are cheaper than the Zidoo - as your not interested in UHD blu ray Dolby vision playback it doesn’t matter to you but to some it’s the missing piece in their set ups.

ps I have a 4 year old AVR that supports Dolby Vision pass through so it’s not as though we are talking about new magic.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Nothing against DV to be honest or those liking it. :) Yes something against Dolby Laboratories who made DV so complex and covering it with licences and certifications. :mad:

You must know: will all old AMP's with DV pass-through also pass LLDV? :confused:

I know HDR10 is not the same as HDR10+ in that respect and won't be passed by many AMP's.
    Those will typically cause unexpected fallback to HDR10 play. :(

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  11. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

If you don’t need a DV, more than enough of a $ 50 Andoid box with CE :

-Perfect cadence on all fps: 23,976, 24,000, 25,000, 29.97, 30,000, 59.94, 60,000
    -All HD sound goes out intact (including Atmos)
    -Full support for 4K HDR10 and HDR10 +
    -Very good quality deinterlacing

Of course if need DV, for now Zidoo but even more so Shield.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

The easy way is to get LG UHD Blu-ray player and throw in original BD disk with Dolby Vision. Works like a charm every time and cheaper than Z9X ;)

13. kenneth2281

kenneth2281 New Member

is there a way to change the scrap source in ht 4.0 to imdb

14. Markswift2003

Probably your best option will be setting LLDV in the HDR modes - you won't see that option yet, but assuming your new TV supports Profile 5, you'll see it once you get the new TV plugged in.

This will convert all HDR modes to LLDV, including (to a certain extent) DV rips.

So SDR and HDR10(+) will get converted to LLDV and also any flavour of DV.

The caveat with DV is that if it's Profile 7 (or 4), as far as I can make out, it converts the HDR10 (SDR in the case of P4) base layer to LLDV in the same way it does with standard HDR10 except I assume it uses the Dolby RPU although to what extent I don't know since LLDV is based on static gamma.

If the Profile 7 stream is MEL (minimum enhancement layer) then you've probably lost very little, but if it's FEL (full enhancement layer) you'll lose the additional "difference" data in the FEL.

I'm still trying to work out exactly what the VS10 engine does with each profile but it's a bit of a moving target since the goalposts seem to move on every update I get!

15. bobocher

bobocher New Member

To use LLDV mode with projectors we need to fool Z9X to think that our projector supports LLDV using a HDFury device. The problem is that these HDfury devices cost more than Z9X itself.

I wonder if Zidoo team could find a way to force LLDV even if the display doesn’t support it? The idea is to eliminate the necessity of a HDFury device. That would make Z9X much more attractive for projectors owners.

16. Markswift2003

Thing is, it's not just a case of forcing LLDV - as a minimum you need to specify colour space and Max Nits which is something you choose for your particular setup, and depending on the PJ you may also need to send a fake HDR SEI (LLDV itself won't trip the PJ into HDR)

LLDV is natively in IPT colour (a Dolby Proprietary colour space close to P3) and your PJ won't support that although P3 will be passable. Ok, you could say carte blanche you adjust the VSDB to BT.2020, but what about Max Nits? 1000? 500? and that has to match the PJs HDR gamma. So do you send a spoof HDR SEI message to trick the PJ into HDR mode or do you switch manually?

I think such a setting, although on the face of it a good idea, is well beyond the remit of a media player.

It's really not as simple as just forcing LLDV I'm afraid.

17. bobocher

bobocher New Member

To my understanding one uses HDFury to build a fake EDID with parameters specific to display (projector). Then these settings are read by Z9X from HDMI channel and the VS10 engine uses them. Currently the user needs to configure the settings in HDFury UI. Why can’t these settings be put into Z9X instead? It’s the one who needs them, right?

Therefore we could have a settings screen "LLDV Display Parameters" with color space, max. nits and whatever else is needed (and can be set in HDFury).

If Z9X could generate HDR message that would be excellent. If that’s technically not possible - OK, it will still work with projectors having manual HDR mode activation. Since VS10 in LLDV mode makes great job presenting all content including SDR, there is no need to switch HDR mode in projector on and off, depending on content. I would be happy to press HDR on projector remote once it’s booted. That would put the built-in capabilities of Z9X in regard to LLDV support on par with HDFury Vertex1, Integral2 and Linker. And if someone needs the full automation he or she still have an option of buying Vertex 2 for 370 Euros.

18. DaMacFunkin

Hi, the guy buying the LG CX... I can’t see that LLDV will be any better on HDR10 than setting active HDR to on on the set.
    A lot of this is snake oil, what we want is real gold.

19. DaMacFunkin

I’m quite surprised someone hasn’t done a basic android app for this, not so much a manual thing but with a bunch of presets for the persons tv model., you load the exact model of your tv and you can choose a preset output.

20. Markswift2003

Have you tried it?