Zidoo 1619 Black Level issues explained...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Feb 11, 2021.

1. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

You are right Leonkoum,

I propose that we gather in front of the Zidoo offices in Shenzhen (we can do some tourism at the same time) and that we demonstrate with signs, of course we need someone who will take care of us all in case of problems with the police... maybe Mark ?

leonkoum likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If you pay for a first class return ticket, I'll be there.

3. OlivierQC

Hello Mark,

Basically the VS10 is to enjoy DV on an HDR TV for example, is that right ?

And if I understand correctly, the VS10 is not usable for those who have an SRD or HDR TV and can't enjoy HDR or DV on their non-compatible TV because of this black level issue ?

Thanks in advanced

4. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Don't worry about. I will take care of you. And Chinese police are very friendly.

5. OlivierQC

Hello mirror

That's nice

I asked Mark the question but if you want to answer my 2 questions above

6. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

Isn't there perhaps a possibility with the HDfury Box after all?

When I look at the Vertex 2, it says: "4K HDR Downscaler:

This may be a quite expensive option, but I would seriously consider this device, if it could do a decent HDR -> SDR conversion including proper black levels.

7. Markswift2003

Exactly.

It is supposed to allow you to view SDR, HDR and DV on either an SDR TV, an HDR TV or a DV TV but unfortunately, practically it is only useful if you have a DV TV or you use the LLDV BT.2020 trick on an HDR TV.

OlivierQC likes this.
  8. Markswift2003

HDFury devices do not convert HDR to SDR (with the exception of the Diva but that only does it at 1080p).

9. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

That's a shame!
    Unfortunalty from my searches so far, I could not find any other device, that is capable of doing that.
    It looks like the M9702 Oppo Clone could do it right, but I guess it comes with other disadvantages against the Zidoo.

10. Markswift2003

Really for outboard HDR to SDR conversion you're looking at a Lumagen of even a MadVR but you're in the realms of crazy money there.

The best option with the Zidoo for HDR to SDR is the Realtek engine "SDR Rec.2020 Limited". This has perfect black and white levels and since the colour space is untouched and only tone mapping is required it's very convincing. Unfortunately it's generally only projectors that are able to display SDR.2020 - I don't know of any TVs that are flexible enough to allow BT.2020 in SDR.

"SDR Rec.709 Limited" does a half decent job too but unfortunately the BT.2020>BT.709 colour space conversion is bad so you get a posterisation effect with some content, particularly blue.

You could try VS10 SDR and switch "HDMI Range" to 0-255 in Colour Settings - this removes the black floor issue at the expense of black crush. Worth trying though.

11. Gilles

Gilles New Member

Hi Mark, this issue is solved with the last firmware (6.3.45) ?

12. Markswift2003

Yes, and it's even more solved in the next one ;) o_O

gymnos likes this.
  13. sealreed

sealreed New Member

I think it's still not solved in 6.3.92 for DV profile 8.1 mkv's on a non-DV display. Still having raised black levels if I have the HDMI color range on "Auto".

Can someone confirm this? Also, if I set the range to 0-255, the raised black levels are gone, but is it correct that I'll have black crush in this case?

14. Markswift2003

You should always set HDMI Range to 16-235 since this is how the content is encoded (either 16-235 for 8-bit or 64-940 for 10-bit) and how it is displayed on a TV or projector.

15. sealreed

sealreed New Member

Thanks. But both options "Auto" and "16-235" produce the same result for me for DV 8.1 files, namely raised black levels. So it does not solve my issue.
    DV 7 files from UHD BDs don't have this issue btw.

16. Markswift2003

Not sure why unless the RPU in the profile 8 files are bad. Both Profile 7 and Profile 8 have exactly the same base layer video. I have no issue with Profile 8 here and never have, and I have one of the TVs that was affected by this issue last year (Samsung).

This issue only manifested with certain SDR or HDR displays where VS10 SDR or VS10 HDR was used.

What display do you have?

It would be helpful to see the EDID (Zidoo connected directly to the TV).

To Download EDID
    ================
    Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID
    Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to post on forum

Also, you should really be on a later firmware - v6.3.92 is from April. We're on v6.4.06 as a release now.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  17. sealreed

sealreed New Member

Thanks for the tip to upgrade, as that fixed my problem without me changing any settings. I wasn't aware that a newer version existed due to the firmware list on the Zidoo website not having been updated.

18. Markswift2003

its always worth keeping an eye out here for the latest release - they don’t all make it to the OTA server for one reason or another.

19. petrakeas

petrakeas New Member

I guess that the black level issues explained in this thread is not the issue that has been solved, right?

20. Markswift2003

Many moons ago.