Zidoo 1619 Black Level issues explained...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Sometimes good will is not enough to move the rock :)

gymnos, xskip and Markswift2003 like this.
  2. Justin

Justin New Member

Can't wait for Zidoo to fix this with an update.

HDR is unwatchable at times. Just way too dark. Should have probably waited for a newer model/chipset? :( Kinda dissapointed in my purchase. Such a pitty, cause Zidoo has it all to be winning this mediaplayer war!

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If HDR is too dark then something else is happening in the display rather than the Zidoo. What's the display chain?

4. Justin

Justin New Member

What do you mean by display chain? It’s directly connected to the lg CX :), if that’s what you mean.

5. Markswift2003

Exactly - can't see why a CX would display HDR10 dark though.

Have you got HDR set to Auto on the Zidoo?

6. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I own the C9, try turning off Dynamic Tone Mapping.

7. InNursery

InNursery New Member

still no update on that ?

8. Markswift2003

I know they're working on it (I helped out with some test files the other day) but the DV stuff has taken precedence recently.

9. Gilles

Gilles New Member

Hi,
    Is the latest beta 6.2.0 solves this problem ?

10. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

11. Gilles

Gilles New Member

12. JOE9007

JOE9007 Member

Hello.
    The same thing happens to me on my oled Lg 77c8. HDR too dark and unwatchable when set to Auto.
    If instead I set it to 0-256 things are much better, but I'm afraid that my old oppo 203 would do better ...
    All the image enhancement filters on the tv are set to off.
    Advice is accepted.
    Joe

13. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

Can somebody tell me, what is the best setting for my Benq W2700 projector?

If I watch UHD SDR content on the projector it looks awesome:
    Colors look really natural, but still vivid – For me a perfect projector picture.

Unfortunately (for me ) most of the new movies come with at least HDR10.

I played around with all kinds of settings
    -> with the result of orange skin color, overall picture is way to black or all greyish, etc.

Best setting I found so far:

HDR -> SDR Rec. 709 Limited:
    I would say the overall picture is to dark but at least blacks are black.

Since I know how great the picture can look with native UHD SDR content – what can I do?

1. Is there a better setting?

2. Is this because of the black level problem described in this thread?
    (so everything should be good, once it is fixed)

3. Would some HDFury device fix this problem?

BTW I am on version 6.3.2

14. Markswift2003

Correct me if I'm wrong but that projector handles HDR - so what happens if you set HDR to "Auto"?

15. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

Yes, this is correct, with “Auto” the projector switches to HDR10 mode.

But this mode looks not very satisfying compared to the calibrated “Cinema” mode.

Often the skin color looks kind of orange, or - when playing around with the HDMI range- I think I see something like raised video background layer or raised black levels

16. Markswift2003

So it sounds like the PJ isn't handling the HDR signal very well - If you can find a forum for the BenQ I'd ask on there how people handle HDR - maybe there are some settings on the projector?

HDMI range should be set to 16-235. I know there is mention of using 0-255 but that's just a quick and dirty workaround for those wanting to use VS10 SDR to alleviate the black level issue described in the first post and brings in its own inaccuracies - this isn't the problem you have.

17. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

thx, I will do that!

18. Markswift2003

Another option is to use an SDR EDID in Custom EDID and then use VS10 which because of the SDR EDID will output VS10 SDR.

Then you do have the black issue as described in the first post but setting HDMI range to 0-255 is a workaround until a fix comes along.

VS10 HDR to SDR is a lot better than the Realtek "HDR -> SDR Rec. 709 Limited" - the colour space conversion is rubbish using the Realtek engine.

An SDR 709 EDID can be found here:

https://mega.nz/file/Nf5wSAqS#523dTeN-tmgPg99aF2uBND89boy_P6VBfnQOH4SMEPw

19. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

Thx for the EDID file - if I use this one together with vivid mode, I see definitely an improvement.

HDR10 Mode of my BenQ W2700 is really not good:
    IMG_5058.jpeg
    IMG_5047.jpeg

20. Markswift2003

Vivid Mode should actually not make any difference because it only relates to the Realtek engine performing the HDR to SDR conversion and not VS10. You can confirm this by selecting "menu/advanced/HDR to SDR/Gamma" during VS10 playback and you see no difference.

After choosing that EDID, are you sure you've chosen "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine" in HDR settings? (and 0-255 in HDMI Range?)

There's a bit of a bug too where the format logo shown briefly at the start in the top left corner is the VS10 Dolby Vision logo, but pressing "Info" will confirm that the mode is actually SDR Rec.709 VS10:

upload_2021-5-16_13-27-23.png

And top tip - always quit out of Settings and re-enter after messing with EDID settings since the HDR Mode list doesn't seem to update correctly unless the app is refreshed.