Zidoo 1619 Black Level issues explained...

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Feb 11, 2021.

1. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

Hey Mark,
    you were right, I did not do it right.
    Now with your SDR 709 EDID + VS10 colors are looking really good -> thank you so much!!!
    I don't think, that I will ever use the HDR10 mode of my projector again.

Only Downsides:
    - The black bars are looking kind of grey - as described by you at the beginning of this thread
    - I have to switch HDMI back to 16-235, when I watch native SDR 709 content

Any chance, that this will be fixed in the next firmware?

Markswift2003 likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine - I've been trying to get this fixed since the box was released last year but so far nada!

Switching to 0-235 should alleviate the black bars issue at the expense of black crush in HDR.

Try setting HDMI Range to Auto - I just tried that on my Samsung and it gets rid of the black floor issue, there is no black crush for SDR and HDR crushes below 2.5% (as it does for 0-255)

3. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

I just tried Auto - it works, so no need to switch HDMI range manually, thx!

But still, I would say I notice the not so black bars, when watching HDR content in SDR -> even 2.5% sounds very low.

What is your guess, why zidoo did not fix this so far?
    Is it maybe way more complicated developer wise to fix than we assume or is this just way down on their priority list?

4. Markswift2003

I think it's an issue with the VS10 engine and something that Dolby perhaps need to fix. That's only a guess, but an educated one since the Dune does the same.

I know they were looking at black levels recently but I don't think they quite grasped the problem and I've heard nothing about it recently.

5. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

Hopefully this is nothing, which not fixable via software, because it is a hardware problem of the 1619DR SoC…

6. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I'm rather confused. Excuse me for the noob question, but is the Dolby VS10 engine a part of the 1619DR chip or is it additional hardware on the mobo?
    If the black-level issues are hardware related, can firmware fix them?

7. vddan

vddan Active Member

Besides because of its 'black' problems I no longer use the 'VS10' ........... I switched to ''automatic!
    Pity ! :(

8. Markswift2003

It's part of the SOC - DR denotes Dolby Vision while it's not included in the DD version.

It depends where the black issue lies - obviously it only affects VS10 so we have to assume it's in the VS10 engine. I really don't think it's hardware related but it may require an update from Dolby for the SDK and whether that would happen is anyone's guess. Again, only surmising.

Whitfield likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

It's a great pity - but there is another way if your TV is HDR10 only and that's to use the LLDV exploit - this can generally only be achieved with an HDFury device at the moment but if we can convince Zidoo to add a switch to allow an HDR message to be sent when using LLDV and a custom EDID then an HDFury would not be required (I've been trying!).

10. vddan

vddan Active Member

Yes for the HDFury, but 400 € is double the Zidoo !!
    Currently I am with your personalized 'EDID' which gives me the DV in HDR10 + and I recognize that after calibrating my image ....... the image is at the top!
    We will see later following the evolution of firmware ..........

11. The explanation in the first post still has me confused a bit, what are the settings with the least issues for a TV that supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision (LG CX in my case)?

12. Markswift2003

13. Thanks, will do. Makes me wonder tho, what is the purpose of the other options? To do tonemapping if you're not on an HDR or DV capable display?

14. Markswift2003

The idea is to be able to apply the VS10 engine to SDR, HDR or DV individually or all together. The VS10 engine is supposed to output the best signal dependent on the capabilities of your display.

Unfortunately that doesn't work properly for SDR or HDR displays.

As I say, stick to Auto and all will be well :)

xskip likes this.
  15. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

@ Mark: I have written to the official support of Zidoo regarding this black level issue, in the hope to push something... :)

16. Markswift2003

The more people push (nicely!) about this, the more likely it is to get fixed, but I have a nasty feeling it's in the Dolby side of the SDK and it may need Realtek to fix it - that's only a guess, but the Dunes have the same problem.

17. ta0801

ta0801 New Member

hopefully Zidoo has already opened a ticket at Realtek about it

18. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

One of the reasons i cant use the VS10 Engine .

vadergr likes this.
  19. That's disappointing as those two categories encompass a rather large number of displays! I'll be using Auto as per your suggestion, thanks for the response.

20. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

Me too.
    Zidoo must find a solution!