[SOLVED] Zidoo still don't have an XMOS licensed driver

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by atomic garden, Jul 3, 2023.

1. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

What exactly is the problem?

Desmodromic likes this.
  2. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

1- Internet forums are full of trolls, no exception here. It was not only one or two users diminishing the needs of a "minority" group regarding the driver, with the bonus of personal attacks. I try to move on, although I consider it an unacceptable behavior.

2- Someone edited the title of this thread, WTF?

It was: Zidoo still don't have an XMOS licensed driver

And someone changed to: Zidoo now have an XMOS licensed driver but we still love a good moan about it…

I don't believe that Zidoo staff would do that, so WTF happened?

Anyway, I'm changing it to the original title + [SOLVED]

Glerup71 and JamOne like this.
  3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

The problem has many faces...
    It is advertised (the DMP-A6) as it can play from every source (being both a DAC and a streamer) including PC.
    This was not true in the case of DSD: such files needed to be converted to PCM beforehand when played from a Windows PC, or they (such PCs) needed a proper driver to ALLOW WINDOWS to play DSD the PROPER WAY. (sorry for rising my tone...)
    Now, a PC (x86 / x64) can also be running Linux, or (old / older?) MACOS, and those PCs didn't need any driver, as the two OSs themselves properly implement the USB audio protocol layer 2.0 (which allows DSD) and MS Windows don't... still. Still. STILL!!!
    So people started complaining about this for the two DACs, the Z6 and the Z8.
    While I can agree on a certain level with the owners of the aforementioned DACs, I don't fully with the owners of the A6; as it is a player, and can play itself (while a DAC cannot), and it IS and WAS able to play DSDs native itself as a player.

For some rants in the past days about "somebody complaining" that "somebody suggested" that the OS itself SHOULD IMPLEMENT the above USB Audio 2.0 thing... I still remain on my point: The stupis OS, after roughly 10 years, should have the USB protocol implemented fully. Fully, FULLY! It's not possible for a payed OS not to. Full stop. It's simply not professional.

Now, you can view the things as you want / prefer, but as a matter of fact, as Linux and MAC OS do (one being free, the other payed too...), Windows, being (as underlined many times...) on the 70%+ of the PCs all around the world, should do it. Actually, it should be mandatory for all OSs.

End of the rant... :)

Inti likes this.
  4. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Yeah, I agree with some advantages of the Linux side, this is one of them. It is what it is.

5. atomic garden

atomic garden Member

Meanwhile, some weeks ago I accidentally found a review of DMP-A6 from an international hifi website. The review mentioned the problem with the driver that I pointed out here, and even referred this thread. I was very surprise to see that, considering that I never talked to the reviewer and I didn't know his website. But I didn't mention the review on my posts here. I didn't want to put more pressure and feed the fire. I just wanted the driver.

So, to be fair, after the driver was released, I contacted the reviewer. I told I was the one who created this thread, also told that now we have the driver and the problem is solved. He updated the review. https://www.hificlube.net/artigos/reviews-testes/eversolo-master-edition-dmp-a6-the-giant-killer/

6. Glerup71

Glerup71 Active Member

It is funny that there is finally a reviewer who discovers that the driver that was available at the time did not support native DSD, because there must be one of the reviewers who had the dac connected to a Windows PC, because I have seen quite a few reviewers on youtube such as Soundnews, Passion for sound, iiWi Reviews...etc, and there is not one of them who mentions anything about the lack of native DSD support in Windows !!?

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

No that many around using a PC to just play music. Some may be using a NUC.
    Some 20 years ago that was a different story.

Nutul and Desmodromic like this.
  8. Inti

Inti Active Member

How long are we going to beat a dead horse this topic is solved now

Desmodromic likes this.
  9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Maybe because they use a player as it is primarily intended to...? And many people use Roon, which brings all the magic of the A6 to light.
    Not all the world revolves around a Windows PC.
    Thankfully.

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

My guess is maybe another 2-3 weeks.

Nutul and Inti like this.