So what Happened to the New 2022 / 2023 Zidoo Line ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Never was able to see myself the difference of DV with my OPPO or using Zidoo/Dune.
    The debate may go on. ;)

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I do see it quite clearly on some FEL discs especially with banding and/or macro blocking. For example, Top Gun: Maverick 4K at the 00:12:48 minute mark. On the Zidoo, there were color bandings in the sky after the Dark Star exploded and the screen faded to black. No such banding on my Oppo clone. This was with my LG C9 OLED.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The 905x4 is just an iteration of the 905.

It theoretically can do 4K30 FEL but not 4K60 like the 928.

4. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

So, we are ‘waiting’ for a 928 Soc?

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

atleast that got big A76 cores, sure they are from 2018 but much better than A55 ones used now.

6. Markswift2003

The 928 is interesting.

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes that that would make a sensibel move. A bit extra CPU power would be great.

8. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

4ECCBA98-F391-4B4D-AB0A-FFE6B55536D4.png Is this the Droid were looking for ?

About Amlogic S928X SoC
    The new S928X SoC. Amlogic’s press release shows the basic features of the chipset. Amlogic S928X chipset includes multi-core A76 & A55 big Little architecture, 12nm process, and a 36K+ DMIPS processing power. The video technology includes HDR10 + / HLG, Dolby Vision, Vivid HDR, and a full-featured HDMI2.1a 8K UHD video interface. The sound technology contains Dolby Audio, Dolby Atoms, and DTS allowing users more perfect and detailed audio and picture presentation.

rozel likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

The 928 is an update to 922 and the most interesting part of the S922 spec is:

"Support multi-video decoder up to 4Kx2K@60fps+1x1080P@60fps"

(not been able to get a 928 datasheet yet...)

Whereas the 905x4 is only:

"Supports up to 4x1080P@60fps of multiple video decoders" which is the equivalent of 4Kx2K@60fps only.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  10. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

What is vivid HDR? :D
    If it’s “real” HDMI 2.1a that would be great. Finally some companies are supporting QMS but running the UI at 120p would pretty much have the same effect.

11. Markswift2003

rozel likes this.
  12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Will we need sunglasses to watch? - It's supposedly 40 times higher brightness than traditional standard dynamic range !!!

13. Markswift2003

A welding mask.

jeryll, xskip and rozel like this.
  14. DELUCAS

So does this mean Zidoo dumping Realtek chipset and partnering with as such Amlogic etc

15. Markswift2003

No, there's absolutely nothing to report at the moment.

But my feeling is that in order to develop a box capable of FEL decoding, there is little alternative to the 928 at the moment.

AngryVirginian likes this.
  16. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

upload_2023-1-13_7-11-11.png

Only one A76 core and one USB 3.0 port?

17. DELUCAS

These are all very small boxes so restricted to ports as such
    If if Zidoo went that chipset route more connections would be added .

Temearoo likes this.
  18. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

The PCIe port can be used to add more USB ports.

Temearoo likes this.
  19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

you can probably run different output configurations, I do have a Ugoos AM6 (not being used atm) with S922X that does have 4xA73 and 2xA53 so hopefully it's possible to use different configuration otherwise the S922X is more powerful, but anyway one 1xA76/4xA55 is better than 6xA55 that we have now, and I would welcome a smaller box than the Z9X with only gigabit/hdmi/2xusb. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  20. khollister

khollister Member

So this got me curious (never noticed this before). First my setup:

2022 Sony 85X95K TV (supports display-led DV) - Smooth Gradation set to Low, HDR Tone Mapping set to Gradation Preferred
    Panasonic UB9000 BDP (no selectable option I can find to choose LLDV vs display-led)
    Z9X settings - Deep Color enabled, YUV444-10 bit, TV-Led priority DV, HDR is on VS10 DV only (which I think is essentially Auto).

Using that scene from Maverick, I cannot detect any noticeable difference in banding between the disc played on the 9000 or the MKV played by the Z9X. I tried LLDV on the Z9X, but it looked that same as TV-led as far as banding.

Both the 9000 and the Z9X display the faintest hint of banding in the last 1/2 sec before the scene goes completely black. I would never have seen it if I wasn't specifically looking for it as a result of your post. I'm not convinced the lack of the enhancement layer has any real-world effect on PQ.

If Zidoo does eventually release an AMLogic 928 device I'll check it out, but my remaining concerns with PQ on the Zidoo are clarity/local contrast differences (which I see on non-HDR source material as well).

Even the Opposite and Panasonic 820/9000 don't have exactly the same video performance. While the Oppo's (and clones) used Mediatek SoC's, Panasonic uses a Socionext UniPhier SoC that may be proprietary to Panasonic (not clear from the vendor's website).