So what Happened to the New 2022 / 2023 Zidoo Line ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Jan 12, 2023.

1. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Maybe why Zidoo has been quite of late as been working on new software for this new Chipset
    Or a completley diff one Rockchip 3588 ?

Regardless could open the way for Opening it up for also a streaming Device Netflix or CBS , Paramount Apps etc ?

That would be a game changer and add more sales …..

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

That overlay dual processing is also needed for true BD Menu/features processing. In fact Dolby Laboratories re-used this must be present existing BD player capability for their FEL implementation.

So also for BD Menu and features this new chip offers opportunities.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    FrostByte likes this.
  3. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

New hardware is nice but at the end, if the software does not follow, that won't change our lives. I mean that there are already many stuffs that could be corrected or optimized with the present SOC but they are not.

My 2 cents. ;)

leviathan, DIKKE, vddan and 1 other person like this.
  4. FrostByte

FrostByte New Member

Dune HD's Homatics Box is available for purchase now. Though looking at the link at the bottom of their page the firmware/software still needs a bit of work for different audio/video codecs.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

unfortunately still using crap 4xA55 cores compared to 6xA55 in the Zidoo, even though it's still crap, new boxes need to use performance cores to get the smooth UI.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  6. Edworld

Edworld Member

a zidoo Z9X plus - 4gb ram and 16 emmc would be cool.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

no, 4GB ram won't help if it's still using 32 bit OS and A55 cores.

FrostByte likes this.
  8. Edworld

Edworld Member

bummer, I was hoping 4gb would allow ZDMC run better

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

probably not as 2GB is OK as the Shield Tube uses it with 32 bit OS but is using performance SoC with A57 cores and powerful GPU.

10. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I suspect because of their location, their only option at the moment is to reach out to third parties and use their (somewhat compromised) hardware to keep production going.

11. Nice Monkey

Will tell about that one on AVSforum and other sites in a week or two. My unit should be coming soon from Latvia. Interesting little box at a very nice price.

It is HW wise low-end without a VS10 engine but using the new S905X4-K media processor (special K version with all licenses).
    Includes Dolby MAT, AV1 and HDMI2.1 next to claimed full DV FEL processing. Certified for Android TV 11 and most popular streaming services.

HD Audio for PCM and DTS codecs seem to be stripped though? The HD DTS formats are supported and processed but being forced output as PCM up to PCM7.1 it seems. Is that bad? Only DTS-X won't be using any high channels I guess as the consequence?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    FrostByte likes this.
  12. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

The Dune box is crap at the moment, no working frameswitch, DTS HR / X falls back to core DTS, always in DV mode…

Confirmed by several people. stay away from it.

FrostByte likes this.
  13. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Will wait for the New Zidoo Media Player .

14. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

But does it do FEL?

15. Markswift2003

Nope.

16. Nice Monkey

You got one and tested? The chip is claiming to support BD with PIP. Got exactly one known to me BD actively using that, but enough to test. I understand DV FEL uses that as the mechanisme to apply the FEL overlay.

17. Markswift2003

FEL just requires the SOC to have two HEVC decoders, it's not the BD mechanism that's leveraged, but the hardware spec of the SOC.

The AML905 itself supports decoding 4 x 1080p60 so presumably it can decode up to 1 x 2160p30 and 1 x 1080p30 so theoretically can support 4K23~30 FEL but cannot support 4K59~60 FEL.

However, this functionality is not available in the SDK, so out of the box, FEL is not supported. Whether there's a way around this or not remains to be seen but presumably the only way would be to illegally circumvent the IPR of the AMLogic SDK which would be foolish. Regardless, 60Hz FEL would be impossible in any case.

Another possibility is the AML928 which supports 1 x 2160p60 and 1 x 1080p60 however this hasn't gone to full production yet and the media player is not developed enough yet. It's ok for a Kodi box, but not a high end media player. Also I'd assume any FEL functionality is nobbled in the same way the 905 is.

Be interesting to watch though.

18. mattmarsden

The S922XJ can already do it and it is available in the SDK - its a shame nothing takes better advantage of this.

19. mattmarsden

And the S922 has reference PQ

20. jettthasan

jettthasan New Member

so this question?
    continue with zidoo z9x?
    wait for the new s928 to be released?
    Nvidia 2019 pro?