Recommended Settings and other knowhow for HiFi players/playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Frankly did not see it yet. Just look at the RTD1619 forum most of the time.

Good review. The outcome frankly does not surprise me. Already guessed DAC Z8 would be great value for money.
    Would be nice to compare it with Neo Alpha (very similar build) and Neo X (with an even better build) and both using a Linear PSU for the DAC (Neo X with dual transformers for everything).
    If the PSU differences are audible? The used crystals' are for sure but differences are tiny and only audible with some very select material.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  2. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Absolutely NOT.

Think you are placing too much importance on Linear PSU's - I raised this subject over at ASR and to be honest there's absolutely no benefit at all in adding one on any of these units. Suggest you read the 7-pages of comments (barring the few by trolls) and you'll understand.

The fact that you haven't been on the Eversolo forum for a while supports my view that you are somewhat biased with your opinions - please regard this as constructive criticism, rather than me being rude. And how exactly are you going to compare the Z8 with the Neos - subjectively or using measuring equipment? You are better placed than I am to get a comparison sorted (assuming Zidoo would allow it) - I sorted the Z8 Review, now your turn :)

3. Nice Monkey

Everybody is entitled to his personal opinion. ;)
    Be happy and enjoy your Eversolo DAC Z8. :)

Also feel some brands overstate the value of their very expensive PSU's which must be a real cash-cow for sure. :D
    But stating it won't help at all goes too fast/far for me. Won't buy a DAC Z8 for just finding out.

The remark for comparing was a wishful thought for myself only and yes the only thing finally decisive for buying my gear are my own ears. :p
    Won't invest anymore in my own audio gear as frankly my hearing is increasingly letting me down. :mad:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

A very honest comment, which mirror's my own unfortunately. Although my slight hearing-loss doesn't seem to affect my Headphone listening.

Yes the selection and purchase with the subsequent enjoyment of HiFi equipment, has to be a personal choice. What sounds good to one person may not for another. This is why I like the ASR, as other than the trolls, they hate subjectivity.

You got me into DACs in the first place and the time I've spent fiddling with this and that has been extremely enjoyable for which I want to thank you very much. I'm not sure how much further DACs can go but any of the "Top Twenty" as measured by Amir will form the base for an excellent sounding HiFi System. Where we all go from here, I don't know :):):)

5. Nice Monkey

Yeah headphones. Maybe I need to revert to those finally. Never liked using them but tried several times.

6. Artur

Artur New Member

Hi, guys.
    Zidoo Z9X. SW 6.4.20_G
    Trying to connect DAC via USB. Using internal player only.
    Zidoo sees DAC as Amanero 384, that is correct.
    IMG_20230213_120857.jpg
    Flac, wav 2ch working just fine at all frequencies 44.1, 96, 192...
    Having issues with DSD and movies soundtracks.
    DSD (DSF files):
    IMG_20230213_121531.jpg
    At 'native' mode DAC's OSD shows 176khz
    At 'DoP' mode DAC shows 2.8mhz
    In both cases every 10-20 seconds happens high pitched sound 0.5sec like whistle.
    With raspberry/Volumio based player DAC working just fine.
    Soundtracks:
    When playing any video files DAC shows 192khz and sounds compressed and distorted...
    Via spdif same DAC shows 48khz and sounds perfect.

All audio settings according to first page of this thread.

Tried two different usb cables: pro grade and all purpose , results the same.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  7. Nice Monkey

@Artur
    DAC support via USB is not so easy as all behave slightly different. You can try using UAPP instead of Media Player 7 and see if that support is better. UAPP supports a long list of DAC's after a zillion updates and has multiple variables to tweak the data exchange.

If one still considers buying one then I recommend an Eversolo as that one for sure works in all modes.

8. Artur

Artur New Member

Nice Monkey, thanks for the advice.
    What about movie soundtracks?
    Do you think using other player solve issue?
    Or maybe I can try to rollback FW for some older but more compatible version?

9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I can vouch for USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) most certainly. It is cheap, it's far better than Music Player 7 (MP7) and has more options.

My first foray into external DACs resulted in my DAC not being able to play Native. Not a biggy - DOP as in your case plays ok. Check out your DAC's audio capabilities. The Z9X needs no rollback but I assume you are using the latest firmware. But I can also vouch for the EverSolo DAC-Z8 - it's not only a great external DAC it's beautiful too!

But you confuse me regarding Film Sountracks - my DAC isn't used when playing films as I want surround sound and my AVR does a great job at this.

10. Artur

Artur New Member

Thanks for your input, rozel!
    I'll definitely try UAPP.
    Yes, my AVR does a great job too)
    But at the night time my neighbors...
    So I wanted to use my advanced headphone setup, not only AVR HP output.

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

This may seem obvious but have you tried plugging in your headphones to your Onkyo?

12. Artur

Artur New Member

Of course)
    But my headphone setup way more advanced so this is why I want to use it instead of AVR.
    Truth is I'm use it right now via spdif, but for this I have to disconnect PlayStation and connect Zidoo... every time.
    Not so convenient.
    Besides I'm in a brink of a move to a new place, so rule #7 from Zombieland will be useful here). I'm preparing to put on the market my 200 lb. of home theater , and replace it with 12 lb. of DAC/Amp and headphones.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
  13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I understand. You could employ a splitter to avoid disconnecting and reconnecting. Playing the soundtracks the way you would like to though is beyond my know-how, sorry. Maybe @Nice Monkey can follow up?

14. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Artur - I assume you've read the first few pages of this thread?

15. Artur

Artur New Member

Thread was read from the beginning to the end...

rozel likes this.
  16. Nice Monkey

Movie soundtracks should be played via HDMI in MCH as these are made for that specifically.
    The best results I have heard was with Neo X and Neo Alpha. These beat both my Dune and OPPO. These use a linear PSU and more relevant a motherboard using better components above all the crystal used for HDMI clocking.

17. Artur

Artur New Member

Guys, my issue is in another department).
    It's within Zidoo. Outside all ok!
    At the USB out i have resampled/converted to 192khz movie soundtracks! In a result I have muffled, short in dynamic sound.
    At the HDMI out all correct - 48 khz
    Music player also correctly working with USB 44.1 - 44.1, 96 - 96 ets. without any resampling.
    Maybe there's some configuration file for movie player?
    And there is a line configuring USB out?

18. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

With Android, is there any app to get access to your music without to have to turn on the TV? Unlike on the Apple Store, it seems that there is no version of « Zidoo Controller HD » on the Play Store and the previous app doesn’t work with the last version of Android.

19. Nice Monkey

Not sure what you want to state exactly? I am running Zidoo Controller on my smartphone to play music with the TV turned off with various Zidoo models.
    My phone is running on Android v13 which I think is the most recent Android version? It is a Samsung Galaxy A51 model.

@Artur;
    No idea how well the downsampling of DD/DTS to 2CH works. Never tried it myself.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  20. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Maybe the guy who asked me was not clear. With what you say, that’s probably his phone and the version of Android on it that is too old.

Thank you.

Edit : he says that the message on Play Store is really about the app being too old to be installed on his phone.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023