Posterwall (HT4.0)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Trying to understand the circumstances under which this happens.

I use NFOs and local art but this can actually work against you because some posters and fanart (for genres) are not cached in Category View so rely on the original resource being available which can take a few seconds if the asset is in a drive that's asleep.

I use "Custom Folder" for the "Poster Folder" but if you use local artwork, this is only used for Clear Logos and the odd poster with a movie/collection name that uses illegal characters (ie ones that cannot be in file names - : for example).

The "Custom Folder" (ie .Hometheatre) is not used to cache the images for the posterwall.

So my Custom Folder only has 2 posters in it, even after caching all posters in "All" - one for "Star Trek: Alternate Reality Collection" and "Mission: Impossible Collection", both of which contain a colon so local posters don't work.

2. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

3. Markswift2003

This doesn't affect the poster wall, only the posters and genres in "Category View".

I have my 4K movies spread over 3 NAS drives so I wrote a little Crestron module to wake up all three drives when I fire up the cinema so all assets are available on the network at runtime.

4. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Okay, well I don't know what's going on but I guess it's not a problem with the Zidoo

5. KST

KST New Member

Still trying to get to remember my posters. But it is the same thing all the time. It is like it does not save the cache.
    In the HomeTheater folder on my nas drives the cache is empty not matter what I do.

Is there some setting I am missing since it will not save my cache?

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  6. poltorashka

poltorashka New Member

Hi All
    Recently i bought z9x and faced the problem with HT. When i try to add an NFS/SMB soruce (i use nas synology for storage), it returns me to the main screen. After that, the button for adding a source does not work at all - it always drops to the main screen. This is very strange behavior, since everything works well from a flash drive. I also noticed that the videos are correctly played from the media center.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9OkMCX4UtZg

Thank you in advance!

7. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

I always had the same experience with HT4. The poster cache isn't working very well. The browsing speed is very slow.
    Zdmc is much much faster for me, when all artwork is loaded in the cache (in the 16gb eMMC of the Zidoo).
    Hometheater 4 really really needs a option to load all the Artwork to the Zidoo cache. And stays there.
    I read here in the forum once that the artwork cache is cleared when you go to the options of HT 4. that should be fixed. and there should be an option to upload all artwork (poster, fanart, logos, etc.) to the zidoo's eMMC memory. If that were ever possible I would like to switch from zdmc to Hometheater 4 again

8. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Yeah, they load slowly for me as well. With over 300 movies. Every time I turn it on I have to go through the process of it reloading everything again. The only thing that helped was turning off the dynamic background, Which there really is no point in having it on in the first place since you can hardly see anything behind the poster wall anyways. After turning that off, everything loads snappy. Still every now and then It loads slowly, but it is better than it was.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  9. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Yes it is a pain, and I have more than 850 movies, thanks for that tip to turn off dynamic background. But I think I stay with zdmc until this is fixed one day

10. Markswift2003

As I said earlier the posters seem to get de-cached when you enter preferences, but other than that I've tried everything I can thing to decache them and they always remain.

They take a split second to populate if you scroll by holding the arrow keys, but it's literally a few milliseconds and bang, they all populate upwards or downwards depending on the direction. Admittedly this is rather inelegant and the decache on Preferences is annoying.

My main library is only about 400 movies but I have a test box with a library of 1300 or so and that acts the same.

The biggest problem I have is on the home screen where assets are populated from their source and not a cache, which in my case is local art on 3 separate NAS drives so the drives must be awake for these to show otherwise this happens until they wake:

upload_2021-10-13_9-51-36.png

I fix this in the cinema by waking the drives as the room fires up but in general day to day use elsewhere, it's annoying.

So yes, the caching of images in HT needs some work.

DennisTheMenace and dr4go like this.
  11. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

I forgot to mention I'm using 6 Powered Desktop External Hard Drives attached to a powered USB 3.0 Hub of good quality (not the cheap plastic ones) To one of the USB 3.0 Ports and the other USB Port has 1 Powered Desktop External Hard Drive. All of them are sufficiently powered without using many resources from the Z9X but I'm still wondering if maybe it's a factor?

12. Markswift2003

I always have the fanart background turned off - I just prefer a blank background - but I've turned it on to see if it affects caching...

Mabon likes this.
  13. ZIDOO2020

ZIDOO2020 New Member

Hi, i'm on the z9s latest firmware 2.3.80 with HT v4.1.20. I don't know why these few days my HT did not memorise the movies that i watched halfway. It didn't show up on the top part of HT like it used to be on the next viewing day. I'm not sure if it is due to new firmware or new HT version. Anybody has any clue?

14. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

HT4 is no longer displaying audio details only for example DOLBY VISION, MKV, 23 hz. only and no audio details . The More button is not populating.

15. Markswift2003

I assume this is for new content you're adding and the old stuff hasn't suddenly changed?

Is this happening for all new content you add?

16. Markswift2003

Well, I've had the background turned on for a couple of days and no caching issues on the posterwall here..

17. Netmask

Yes all new items are failing whilst old material is stable. I added a movie tonight from my archives, attached Mediainfo file for reference, in this case only the container (MKV) and frame rate displays and still nothing under More. The first item that this happened was Foundation S01E05 (details om my previous post) since then I added a Dolby vision file and same deal just DOLBY VISION, MKV, 23 Hz

So no audio info at all.

Attached Files:

18. Markswift2003

Damn that's wierd...

Ok first thing to check is the file - the media info looks completely normal though..

Are you able to use MKVToolnix and snip the first couple of minutes of the file, post to Mega.nz or similar and PM me the link?

If the file is at fault I can then send to Zidoo, but if not, it's something a bit deeper...

19. Netmask

Just fixed it. I decided to update my HT To 4.1.22. I was on the previous one. When I opened Foundation and went to ep5 it was the same but under the More button there was a new icon top right. Selected it and pressed ok and voila!

Normally with new software I follow a families lawyer friend saying “let it sit on the table and fester for a few days!” Wouldn’t it be lovely if a full change log was included!

Sorry for hitting the panic station and thanks for your reply.

20. Netmask

Image of for me a new button on the More page 39706EE1-EF36-4735-A11E-746D6AC39F50.png

Mabon likes this.