PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edworld

Edworld Member

Sorry for off topic...

what ezcoo splitter are you using? is it to extract audio to the receiver and send video to tv?

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

same here, it won't install either. :)

3. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

ok, before we start getting random releases everywhere I've decided to release my version 1.1 ... I'm still hoping we can get @gogo789 to incorporate my changes into the official repo but we'll have to wait until he comes back to the forum.

For now you can get my version here:

github.com/bowlingbeeg/PlexToZidoo/releases/tag/v1.1

You may have to uninstall the old version in order to install this one. I'm not an android developer but I'm guessing the signature change is going to require that you uninstall the old version. Which means you'll loose all of your original PlexToZidoo settings so make sure you take a screen shot of what they were before you uninstall.

One thing to keep in mind with this new version is that there is a debug page that's shown by default to help get your settings correct. If your files aren't playing correctly make sure the "Path substitution" value looks correct. Once you have everything working then you can go into the PlexToZidoo settings and disable the debug page so that it jumps right into the video.

lawdawg and Gilgamesh like this.
  4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

I guess watching now status in Adminpanel does not sync with this? no deal breaker though. :)

5. bowlingbeeg

No it doesn't because the zidoo player is accessing the file directly so Plex doesn't have any idea the video is being played. That's a limitation of the "external player" support in Plex. On a quick glance at the api I'm not seeing a way to tell the server a video is playing so I think that's just going to be a limitation of this app.

Gilgamesh likes this.
  6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

yeah I suspected that, nothing that I care about really, just wanted to ask, but maybe check with @andy22 who works on the Jellyfin Zidoo port what it takes as it works on Jellyfin server even though it uses the Zidoo player. :)

7. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

so this is my daily driver now, it's nearly perfect. We get the great UI / library management of Plex with the rock solid zidoo video player. Does anyone have a preferred / stable version of plex for android? I'm using 9.11.0.36456 as later versions seem to have broken the TV layout (background colours don't blend in from the title you select, it's just always black). With the version I have, there's just one minor ui issue while in the movie library tab, the filters are cropped in half (see attachment). If anyone has a version that doesn't have that issue, let me know! I don't trust Plex to fix these types of issues on the Android App as most people wouldn't be using TV layout.

Attached Files:

8. karmu

karmu Member

I still have a small problem:
    After exiting the film / TV show Plex restarts completely and I have to navigate back to the last directory.
    Is there any way to prevent this behavior?

9. bowlingbeeg

I tried to add a workaround in for this issue such that after the video stops I force Plex back to the movie/tv show you were on. Maybe it's a timing issue depending on other things running on your zidoo but it does seem to work for me. One option is to enable the developer options and change the background process limit so that android doesn't kill Plex when you start the movie.

You can find how to do that in the Misc stuff section of the readme
    github.com/bowlingbeeg/PlexToZidoo/tree/version_1.1

10. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

How do you guys update Plex, do you update the Zidoo firmware to the Google Play version and that allows the Plex app to receive regular updates?

11. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

I’m using the 9.13 version

12. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

I just download the apk from apkmirror and install/update via the web interface. I wouldn’t trust plex to not break something with automated updates!

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

Yes, I'm on the Plex Beta program so I'm on 9.19.0.85 atm.

14. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

I tried to install a newer version with the previous version already installed, which didn’t work. Just want to confirm that this is the right way to do it in which case I can try again with a different version?

15. bowlingbeeg

Normally I use google play but I do have the auto updates turned off so hopefully it won't update on me but you never know. I'm on the 9.13 right now because I was testing out my directions in the readme to make sure they were working and the newest versions don't allow you to switch to TV mode.

16. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

For anybody else seeing several different APKs, I successfully did an in place upgrade from 9.13 to 9.17 using the version with the architecture version “armeabi-v7a”.

Took a little time for the upgrade to complete.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

yeah it's because of 32 bit OS so need to use v7a.

18. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

this works really well, I stopped turning off my Zidoo when I turn off the TV as it sometimes would not boot (probably CEC issues) and changed the background process limit to 4 in the developer mode so Plex won't get killed, only using Plex and IPTV app.

19. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

One bug is that if you have multiple users set up, it’ll kick you back to the user selection page after stopping a video. I guess that is due to the workaround. Not really that important for me, had just decided to try it out for my wife, but deleting the extra user profile works for now.

20. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

I have 2 profiles in Plex and I’m not kicked out? There is an option for automatic login in the settings, is that set on your end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.