PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaw

shaw New Member

I'm looking forward to the release with these updates, can't wait. Is anyone else having trouble with the more recent Plex apks not switching into TV mode? Which version are you using?

2. karmu

karmu Member

Glad to hear someone is working on it :)
    Do you have a github site to download for testing?

3. karmu

karmu Member

I wrote somewhere else, I start with version 9.13.0.37280, so I can switch to TV mode.
    Then I let Goole do the update.

shaw likes this.
  4. shaw

shaw New Member

Thank you! I'll try that version, I think I saw that in the other thread. But I didn't know that you can update after it is installed. That's good to know!

5. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

you can download his source code from GitHub and compile it yourself with android studio. Doesn’t take much time if you have any experience with development.

6. karmu

karmu Member

OK, but where to find on Github?

7. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

I'm glad to hear that everything is working for you but I'm surprised it automatically goes to the next episode for you. I didn't think the post-play screen was shown when using the external player option. It doesn't on my android phone nor on the Z9X.

8. bowlingbeeg

As I mentioned earlier I'm waiting to hear from @gogo789 about my pull request but haven't heard anything yet.

github.com/bowlingbeeg/PlexToZidoo

It won't let me post the link

9. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Need any additional testing?

10. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

If you have the zidoo player set to play mode “all” it appears that it’ll just play the next file in the folder automatically. The only issue is it doesn’t appear to update the played status on plex if it automatically switches episodes. Oh well, for now I’ll set the play mode to “off” and manually switch episodes.

11. bowlingbeeg

Looks like the ZIDOO player app only returns the last episode that is played. So if you have your "play mode" set to something other than "single file" and you watch multiple files before stopping. Then this app won't be able to update the watched status for anything other than the last file that was played. So as you suggested, I think "single file" is the only real option right now if you want to keep track of the watched status on Plex.

12. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

did a quick test of your fork and it works well. Resume point for movies works well, allowing me to continue where I left off on the firetv upstairs. Nice!

Your fork also uses darker colors to make it less obtrusive acting as the bridge between Plex’s client and the Zidoo Video player. One small tweak would be to make the app name/text in the title bar a dark dark grey, vs white. That would really make it blend into the background.

Your addition has really got me considering moving back to the Zidoo from my firetv cube 3 and ezcoo splitter combo providing lldv in the theater room.

13. bowlingbeeg

I can certainly change the text color of the app name but you'll still see the bright white color of the video title when the zidoo player starts up. I don't have any control over that ... well I guess I could pass the player a blank title, then it would just be the white spinning circle.

14. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I’ve actually turned off “show video name when starting playback” in the zidoo players advanced settings. This means that you will briefly see is the text “loading” and the spinning wheel. If you could suppress this it would be cool, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks again for the fork! I paired a firetv Bluetooth remote and turned on cec for volume control on my avr - working nicely.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  15. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

This works great, but just as an FYI, if you’re using Plex or Emby but decide/need to use Jellyfin client on the Zidoo; I found this container that syncs watch state between Plex, Emby and Jelly:

github.com/ArabCoders/watchstate

The caveat is that the episode or movie is marked as watched only when it is fully watched, meaning you can’t get resume points, but that’s about it.

Keep using Plex and Emby on all other devices, and use Jellyfin in the Zidoo, and keep them all in sync. Jellyfin on the Zidoo is in my opinion a better experience than the Plex option.

16. karmu

karmu Member

Sorry to ask, but @lawdawg or @bowlingbeeg ....
    Unfortunately I'm not able to create a workink APK, so can one of you send me a working one (PM)?

Thanks a lot.

17. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

Hi @karmu, you can use the version I built here:

github.com/goodyear77/PlexToZidoo/releases/download/unsigned/PlextoZidoo-unsigned.apk

18. karmu

karmu Member

Thank you,
    I will test it asap.

Goodyear77 likes this.
  19. karmu

karmu Member

Unfortunately it won't install :(.

20. Goodyear77

Goodyear77 New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.