PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmu

karmu Member

So you got it working?

I have tried a lot of settinges but no luck (see post 32).
    Can you post your settings so that I can test a bit more?

Thanks.

2. Robik234

Robik234 New Member

Yes it is working
    . I also had a few tries.

The key for success is to provide correct data in PlexToZidoo apk

I assume you see PlexToZidoo screen when you try to play movie from Plex apk. If not - you have to start again with correct appointment of external player in Plex apk. You have to choose PlexToZidoo as an external player for permanent use.

My Plex server works on macOS so paths formats are different then yours (ex. slash instead of backslash). I did it the same way as described in post #10.
    So I exchanged /Volumes with smb://IP_number_of_my_Mac .

I am not a Windows user so I am not sure about correct path format there. I think you have to exchange
    \\SERVER with smb://IP_number_of_your_PC
    or
    \\SERVER\Videos with smb://IP_number_of_your_PC\Videos
    or
    you have to check how to properly address your server in Windows.

Be sure all data you write down is correct. One mistake breaks connection to Plex server so it does not work.
    Important is even correct name of a library you search in. You have to use the name of library exactly defined in Plex server (be careful with space or dots in name).
    The same notes comes to credentials of server: user name and password.

Put all data.

I use Plex apk from Plex for Android release notes site. Last version 9.11.1.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
  3. karmu

karmu Member

Thank you.
    I kept trying and now it works, but only partially:

I installed VLC and deactivate "Use Zidoo native player",
    and tested different settings in PTZ. After a few tries VLC starts the film. :)

Screenshot_20221124-152045.jpg

Now I enable "Use Zidoo native player"...
    Same here :(

So, path substitution shold not be the problem, I think.
    Any other ideas?

A log file could be very useful in this case.

4. Robik234

Robik234 New Member

I have edited my former post. smb://IP_number_of_my_Mac replaces /Volumes

Do not switch "Use Zidoo native player" . Deactivation opening ZDMC in my case.
    If PlexToZidoo opens VLC and movie plays it looks like your smb path is now ok.
    I have deleted dependencies in advanced settings of android system for apk PlexToZidoo. Then Plex in Android TV mode again asked me what player to choose. Try this.

Good luck

5. karmu

karmu Member

Hi,

I installed VLC to find the correct path replacement because VLC shows me the faulty path so i could fix it.

I got a list of selectable video players: VLC, Kodi, ZDMC
    That was the plan ;)
    It's not necessary, I haven't set it as standard.

The current problem is the PTZ is trying to start the movie, then I briefly see the Zidoo-Player open on the Loading Video screen, and jumping back to the PTZ screen.

Maybe the developer will have a look here and have an idea of what's going wrong.

6. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Even though the paths work for VLC, odds are your paths are the issue. I fought for awhile to get them in the format this app was needing. I would recommend setting them up in media center, as I have in my screenshots and then replicate those paths exactly, including case, in the plextozidoo app. Also double check that you are using the exact same names of your Plex libraries, etc.

Maybe try just one library to start so you can isolate the issues.

7. karmu

karmu Member

A first success.
    I set up a second Plex server on my NAS over the weekend, path substitutions as in your screenshot.
    And it works. :)

So the problem is with the Windows Plex Server.
    Maybe there is someone here who also uses this configuration and can help me.

Thanks first of all

8. hijakke

hijakke New Member

A better solution than zidoo plex, Thanks

9. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Agree 100%. I'm not sure why this app is not getting more love. I guess there aren't that many Plex users on this site?

@gogo789 's app brings a (mostly) full featured plex app to the Zidoo AND you can take advantage of the great video quality the Zidoo native player provides. Awesome stuff.

@mirror Zidoo would be well served to work with him to polish\finish this app, make it an official thing, and stop playing around with their Plex client. That client will never approach the level of functionality a native Plex app can provide.

10. karmu

karmu Member

I fully agree.
    I hope, @gogo789 can solve the problem with the Plex server on Windows.

11. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Hello @gogo789 any chance of an update soon? Maybe a small one that modifies the app to be less "in your face?" The current one has a big purple banner at the top that really calls attention to itself. Maybe give the app an option to run hidden in the background (if that is even a thing in Android) or at the least use black for the PlexToZidoo banner at the top?

[​IMG]

12. Sinis

Sinis New Member

Dear @lawdawg, unfortunately, @gogo789 has not been seen on those forums since November 13th... I hope everything's fine for her/him and that it's just because this project is temporary or permanently dead.

I think we should forget this solution and hope another one.

Attached Files:

13. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I’m not ready to give up on them or the app just yet, it technically works for me, and while not as seamless as Zidoo’s HT4/Video player combo, Plex is miles ahead of HT4 in terms of GUI, media matching and over all experience -IMO. Even if the gogo didn’t change a thing I feel I’m in a better place than using the native zidoo stuff.

Gogo did post his work on GitHub, so maybe someone like @andy22 could add a bit of spit, polish and know how he learned getting his Jellyfin client to play nice with the Zidoo APIs?

14. I have issue using Zidoo media player on plex... on plex when i start movie it asks for external player then i choose zidoo player, movies start playing but after like a minute or so it stops with error media playing error, of if i fast forward video it also stops with same error ... do i have to change any settings or what? (Note: my Plex server is remote server)

15. stephen0804

stephen0804 New Member

November was only a month ago, and you think we should just forget about it after such a short time jeez calm down haha...
    probably just getting ready for Christmas or something.

16. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

I'm not sure if @gogo789 is still updating this app but I've posted a pull request on github that fixes the windows SMB issues as well as some new enhancements. I've never built an android app, nor have I done any java coding in last 20 years so there are probably much better ways to accomplish the things I did but it seems to work in my limited testing. I also want to thank @gogo789 for his work on this, it was a brilliant idea. I now won't have to worry about maintaining another media library.

FYI: This is the commit message with more details on what I fixed/added

• Convert backslash's to forward slash's for windows SMB support
    • Fully support resume status on PLEX
      • Start from a resume point
      • Update resume point after playback
      • Uses new ZIDOO API available in version 6.4.42+
    • Add debug info to help users figure out substitution issues
      • Can be turned off with new debug setting
    • Make play intent screen black so it's less intrusive
    • Make "Clear Cache" button un-clickable until support is added

Robik234, bllydia, Dezed13 and 2 others like this.
  17. karmu

karmu Member

Hi,
    good to hear someone is continuing this project.
    Is it possible to test the new version?
    Thanks.

18. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

great, hoping for the pull request to be approved and a new release apk!

19. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

I would like to wait for @gogo789 to approve the pull request so I don't release something that's incompatible with changes he might be making.

Robik234 likes this.
  20. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

I ended up getting impatient and built the APK from source @bowlingbeeg. Works great! Resume and watch status works seamlessly. My only issue so far is that when watching tv shows, the player doesn’t proceed to the next episode when the current episode is over. Is this a known issue? I wonder if this is a plex issue with external player or an issue with the app?

edit: never mind I was impatient. Skipping to the next episode does work automatically, just takes longer than I’m used to.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    lawdawg and shaw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.