PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. limitz

limitz Member

Does this mean Plex only works if the media is hosted on the local network? I can't watch a friends' Plex using this? My goal is to watch DV content hosted on a remote Plex server using the VS10 chip.

I've installed PlexToZidoo. Will install ZDMC, then ZidooPlexMod. Do I also need to install Plex for Kodi, or is that what ZidooPlexMod is?

I'm not sure what path substitutions I need to do if the content is on a remote Plex server.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  2. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

Remote watching somewhat works depending on the setup of the remote server but things like resume points don't always work. This is really meant for local content.

You don't install Plex for Kodi, ZidooPlexMod is what you use.

3. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

No I didn't! I have now added it but having trouble with the set up.

I've done the substitution as I understand it. When I select any video file I first get the debug screen attached which looks OK (?) but when I click 'Play' I get the message 'Can't play video' followed by 'Failed to start Zidoo player'.

Attached Files:

4. bowlingbeeg

My guess is that your substitution path isn't correct. It really depends on how you have shared your folders through smb. One way to help figure it out is to go into the media center app and navigate to you media and then note the path that's listed on the screen. One other note is that typically your shared folder isn't going to have "volume1" in it. It will be shared on the network as maybe "smb://x.x.x.x/data" or maybe "smb://x.x.x.x/media"

5. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Not doing too well with this! Below is the contents of 'PlexToZidooSettings.txt' when I removed reference to 'volume1'.

{
    "auto_play": false,
    "debug": true,
    "exclude_libraries": "",
    "libraries": "*",
    "path_to_replace": "/data/media/tv",
    "replaced_with": "smb://192.168.0.202/data/media/tv",
    "showTitle": true,
    "useZidooPlayer": true
    }

However screen capture 1 below is of the debug screen and still refers to volume1. The video would not play.

So I changed the substitution path as follows

{
    "auto_play": false,
    "debug": true,
    "exclude_libraries": "",
    "libraries": "*",
    "path_to_replace": "/volume1/data/media/tv",
    "replaced_with": "smb://192.168.0.202/volume1/data/media/tv",
    "showTitle": true,
    "useZidooPlayer": true
    }

and the debug screen capture (refer 2 below) seems correct but still won't play.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      86.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      86.8 KB
      Views:
  6. bowlingbeeg

You'll need to give me more details about how your media folders are laid out. I'm guessing that all of your media is under the "media" directory on your Plex server. If that's the case then your "Path to replace" should probably be "/volume1/data" and the "Replaced with" as "smb://192.168.0.202". But as I said, without knowing your folder layout of your media and how your path is shared over the network it's just a guess. Did you use the media center app to see what path the zidoo player needs to play the media?

7. bowlingbeeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.