PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I want to try switching to this as the "official" plex zidoo release from zidoo is no longer supported but I'm confused about the install instructions. On the release page it says: "Please download and install version 9.13.0.37280 or older for the setup.", when I go to the plex forums to get an old version (here https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announcements-android-tv-beta/154124/585), there are multiple different ones on offer, namely:

I figure it's not gonna be the amazon ones, but what apk do I need to install on my Z9X?

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

this one:

https://downloads.plex.tv/Kepler/beta/kepler-armv7a-googlePlay-9.13.0.37260-af7a6d0c.apk

3. Hmm, trying to play something I get a black screen at the beginning with some information but then it errors when I hit play ("Cannot play video" it says). I believe I have my paths in PlextoZidoo set up incorrectly:

path substitution: /data/smb://zidoo:mad:192.168.XXX.XXX/data/media/movies/movie_title
    video path: /data/media/movies/movie_title

192.168.XXX.XXX is the IP of my server, where the movies are stored in data/media/movies/movie_title

Anyone know where I messed up

EDIT: Managed to fix it by changing my path substitution from /media to /data/media

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  4. Is there a way to turn off the black screen that shows up when playing something? Has a ton of info on it, including file paths.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

go to the PlexToZidoo app and turn off Debug.

6. Once again, thank you!

7. maddoc

maddoc New Member

I followed the instruction and the playback works great!
    Except it doesn't resume from the last stop and no subtitles are available - external or embedded.
    Any suggestions?
    Using v1.6

8. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

That would say to me that your substitution isn't working and PlexToZidoo is just forwarding the stream to the Zidoo player. If you post a screen shot of the screen with the play button on it(aka the debug screen) and another screen shot of your settings with the substitution string in it that would help us figure out what's going wrong.

maddoc likes this.
  9. karmu

karmu Member

Hi, it's me again :cool:,

my request is not very easy to describe.
    Is it possible that the PMS is periodically informed about the status of the playback?
    So a live update as the internal player does?

The background is that I can query the status on other devices at any time.
    I also use Tautulli, which depends on it.

Thanks for your effort

10. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I uploaded the apk for this client last night but anytime I opened the app after install, it would just take me to an options page with an import and export option at the bottom. Selecting either did nothing and I could never get the actual app to open up. What am I doing wrong?

11. maddoc

maddoc New Member

Ok, figured out it was a wrong substitution, fixed the settings and now everything works perfectly.
    Thanks for this app!

bowlingbeeg likes this.
  12. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Any assist would be helpful @bowlingbeeg

13. When I want to update to a new version of Plex, I just download a new .apk and install that via the zidoo web interface? I won't lose my settings this way?

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

either that or update from Google play if you have it.

bowlingbeeg likes this.
  15. karmu

karmu Member

I think, the easiest way is, to start reading the first few pages of this thread.
    There a several hints, that helped mee, too.

B0RN likes this.
  16. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

I feel bad for @bowlingbeeg having to answer all these support questions haha, don’t want them to run away.

@B0RN can you provide screenshots? Your error seems pretty odd.. when you open the plextozidoo app, it should look something like the attached screenshot:

Which APK did you download and install? It should be version 1.6 from here: https://github.com/bowlingbeeg/PlexToZidoo/releases/tag/v1.6

Attached Files:

Robik234 likes this.
  17. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

Hey Karmu, just trying to help out - see @bowlingbeeg's post below - i don't think they can update the PMS until after the video has stopped playing due to limitations on plex external player support and the plex api. I admit it would be cool if it could, i love to look at the stats of what shows are most played etc, but oh well.. it's not a dealbraker for me, the zidoo player is much better than any plex client i've tried (apple tv 4k, nvidia shield pro).

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...-native-zidoo-player.94714/page-5#post-186139

18. bowlingbeeg

Unfortunately Plex doesn't support updating the Plex dashboard when using the external player support. And there isn't any open API where PlexToZidoo could update it manually. So unfortunately this is a permanent limitation.

19. bowlingbeeg

If you follow the instructions on https://github.com/bowlingbeeg/PlexToZidoo that might help you get things set up correctly. But basically you open the PlexToZidoo app and input the appropriate settings for path substitution. After that's setup then you use the Plex app to view your movies.

B0RN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.