PlexToZidoo : An external player for plex using native Zidoo player

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Nov 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vtmikel

vtmikel New Member

First time trying to set up here. I’m unable to get the path substitution correct. Here’s my error screen. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

That says it can't find your server. It uses the web api to find out your server identifier using the url "https://<plex_server_address>:<plex_port>/identity?". Can you try that from a web browser(with your plex IP address and port filled in) and see if it shows an xml file with a machineIdentifier tag? The only thing I can think of is maybe your zidoo is on a different subnet than you plex server so it's being blocked.

3. vtmikel

vtmikel New Member

My Zidoo and Plex are on a different VLANs / different subnets. My Zidoo is on my LAN which is trusted, and fully allowed to access the Plex which is on my DMZ VLAN. I’m able to hit the plex server IP/port/identity via the Zidoo Chrome browser, and I see the machine identifier.

Appreciate your help.

4. bowlingbeeg

Robik234 and Gilgamesh like this.
  5. For the life of me, I cannot get this app to reload in TV mode. I keep selecting it and each time it says it needs to reload and it comes back in mobile mode. Ive tried several old versions. I really want to try this out, but the Plex app is bumming me out.

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

have you tried the recommended old version?

7. Yes. I'll keep messing with it. Regardless of what version im on, I have the ability to change the layout, it just wont stick.

8. bowlingbeeg

The readme on the GitHub page tells you which version to use. 9.13.0.37280

9. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

you have to uninstall the current version of plex, and install the apk of 9.13 or lower ( I recommend 9.11 as the themes work properly). This is a known issue, everyone has it.

anyone want to try to post on the plex forums to try to raise a defect?

bowlingbeeg likes this.
  10. I got it to stick. Had to use a different APK site to pull the old version again. Not sure why the one from apkpure stopped installing.

Everything works.

Only issue that I'm having is that the theme for Plex is jet black and I cant see any of the background images. Comparing how the theme looks with the Plex app on my Nvidia shield with the same app settings, I can tell something is going wrong on the Zidoo with the theme.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Changing the theme settings doesn't remedy it. If this was brought up before, I apologize. Im going to search the thread now to see if its been brought up.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  11. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

you’ll have to use an older version, (9.11.xx) works for me. For whatever reason Plex has broken themes on android in tv layout for a few months now.

12. Dezed13

Dezed13 New Member

Robik234 and bowlingbeeg like this.
  13. I see.

Ill stick with it for now. Im so glad I can use Plex on Zidoo. I have too many issues with HT and matching. Plex and Jellyfin are perfect, Im using both of those projects now thanks to people on this forum.

14. qsnake

qsnake Member

Hi, can I access the NAS at home through IP/ddns from the external network using this app?

15. bowlingbeeg

If I understand your question correctly you're asking if you can use the zidoo at some location other than your home and directly access your media on your NAS through the internet. If that's the case then the short answer is no. Technically I think it's possible, but that would require opening the SMB ports on your NAS to the internet which is a bad idea(and you ISP will probably be blocking those ports anyway).

16. qsnake

qsnake Member

Sorry for my English. That's exactly what I mean. The ZidooPlex by Mirror can achieve this function while not using the SMB. But it doesn't matter, I can use that one instead, thanks for reply!

17. bowlingbeeg

Technically that's not playing the movie directly either which is what I thought you wanted to do. It's just playing the https stream that Plex sent it. PlexToZidoo can also pass the stream along to the zidoo player, you just need to keep the substitution field blank. However, local subtitles don't work and if I remember correctly resume points/watched status don't either so not very useful. I was never able to get the ZidooPlex working so maybe it does support those functions.

18. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Does this Plex app support recognition and playback of full bdmv folders?

19. bowlingbeeg

As far as I know Plex doesn't support BDMV folders so the Plex client wouldn't ever send that format to PlexToZidoo. PlexToZidoo just sits in between the Plex client and the zidoo player. So it can only process what the Plex client sends to it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    B0RN likes this.
  20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Alen - I'm reporting you for serious duplication

B0RN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.