New firmware v2.0.34 version for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Do you really think I don't do testing like you? I do testing with several clips and also use specific test patterns to verify not only banding, but also chroma-bug...and I do all of this with different Max CLL HDR content to verify what happens with the TV tone-mapping. And I also measure and calibrate with a Klein colorimeter and CALMAN software...And I do all this daily on several TVs (also with your B7 in th past and a 65C7 I personally own and which has the same panel and eletronics as yours), VPRs and players....it's actually my job to test audio-video products and I try and get the best out of them.

To be totally honest, I have to say that there's not a great difference between YCbCr 420 and AUTO setting with the 2.0.34 FW, but AUTO is slightly better and has less chroma-bugs (difficult to see without test patterns, this is true). Now, I really don't want to argue and I'm here just to try and give suggestions and in the past I also tried to explain how some things work, because I like people to try to learn, understand and get the best out of there products....video is an exact science with strict rules....if you learn how it works, you can enjoy the best cinematic experience...and the Zidoo players are far from being the most rigorous video players on the market (things change too much from one FW to another), but are a very good compromise if you choose the right FW and settings....that I'm happy to use with video files ;)

Gianmaria likes this.
  2. Gianmaria

Gianmaria Member

I can only use my eyes. If you admit that professional testings are close between 420 and auto that means that my eyes aren't wrong. With your eyes you can see the differences ?

3. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

Actually I can, but I know where to look and you need to be very close to the panel....it also depends on the content... Do you know that the 420 setting is actually wrong? Because video contents are encoded in 420 to be able to occupy less space, but need to be converted at least in 422 for a display to be able to show images correctly? The AUTO setting is actually closer to 444 than 422 with the Realtek chip that does a good conversion job...and that's why there's less chroma-bug with the AUTO setting.

One last thing (and this is just for you or others who own a series 7 LG OLED): do you know that if you set the "Dynamic Contrast" on "low" on the Advanced video settings of your TV, you will enable the static HDR metadata conversion to dynamic and have a better HDR tone-mapping and viewing experience? If you haven't already done it, try and let me know! :) VERY IMPORTANT: activate Dynamic Contrast on low ONLY for HDR10 content...NEVER use it with SDR or Dolby Vision content!

4. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

I wonder if the the new 1296 Realtek chip will bring anything new to the table as in picture prosessing etc
    Better memory and slightly faster boot up and loading by seconds if . [ aided by Android 7.1 ]

But what is the actual diff between the two 1295 / 1296 besides add connections and memory .

5. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

As far as I know...no! The GPU and video processing instructions should be the same.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  6. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Thats what i thought but hearing a new Realtek chipset in the works RTD 1619 Cortex A55 SoC
    That might be an interesting chip to follow .

7. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

This is interesting! I'll keep an eye too...thx!

8. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

9. Theeraphon

Theeraphon Member

In quick setting, there are 2 choices between "nuplayer" and "native player". What are the pros and cons between the two? Which one is better?

10. thewonderer

thewonderer New Member

Thanks for all the advice... I will test some movies over the coming days when i get the time and give my impressions. My first 4K HDR TV so a bit new to me, though I did take time researching TV's. Think I have ZDMC 17.4, so will stick with that for now. I do have this / latest firmware.

11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Hey, great discussion on banding issues and settings :)

While we have everybody here on this topic I'd like to bring something that was discussed over at Kodi forum.

Latest Jurassic World 4K movie opening scene when the small sub with strong headlights is moving under water. Slight banding is visible all the time no matter the selection auto, 12 bit, 10 bit or off. Not much of a difference between all selections. Adjusting brightens couple of steps up and down from default 50 on my OLED E6 changes the range and visibility of bands but does not eliminate them. This is banding at near black levels. It almost looks like animated movie with the light as a strips of color.

Now the same scene 3D version. Image is a bit more grainy and a touch less detail but the lights are perfectly toned into 3D infinite depths of ocean [​IMG]

It's difficult to establish the root of the problem without further testing. This UHD disk appears to be up scaled 4k according to some reviewers. There is also Dolby Vision track. 3D disk and probably regular HD Blu-Ray look good.

Is the banding issue from up scaling and boosting color range to 10 bits? Or perhaps it is down scaling of the 12 bit Dolby Vision image? Maybe it is Zidoo player mapping issue.

It would help if somebody with Dolby Vision set (player and TV) comment on this and compare to Zidoo HDR image.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  12. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@giangi76 great tip on " :) VERY IMPORTANT: activate Dynamic Contrast on low ONLY for HDR10 content..."

I got to it on my OLED E6 by eye ;) HDR image was not toned properly and without gamma correction (grayed out on HDR) image was too dark in medium low tones. Checking different settings I got to Dynamic Contrast Low as great improvement. It probably works the same for E7 and E6 best 3D TV ever made ;)

13. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

That banding is in the movie...it's not a Zidoo issue. I also verified with a Panasonic Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Same with Dolby Vision...but as you mentioned, it could actually be a 12bit -> 10 bit issue...because the "consumer" Dolby Vision is 10 bit like HDR10 and not 12 bit like cinema DCPs

14. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

I don't recall the series 6 LG OLEDs having that function... It was introduced for the first time on the 7 series and now has a proper separate setting on the new 8 series. The 6 series weren't so good in the dark tones (it's a known issue) and also had some dithering. The 7 series made a big improvement in that area and resolved the problem. You could partially correct things with a long and accurate calibration, but it was a real pain and just a compromise. On 6 series when you activate the Dynamic Contrast, you are actually activating that and it affects everything (mostly white balance and gamma)...and I really don't like that! What happens with the 7 series is different and just a clever processing of the metadata.
    I wouldn't enable the Dynamic Contrast on your TV, but if you like it...why not?

15. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

This is the one we want for future Zidoo players!! :D

16. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Don’t have C7 and can’t compare to my C6. Perhaps internal processing is different between those two. Dynamic Contrast on low greatly improved medium low tones on my C6 and HDR sources. Didn’t noticed any white balance changes and probably insignificant if any. Gamma changes were all in good direction that’s what I was after to begin with:)

17. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

yes the opening scene from Jurassic World 2018 is bothering me too :( but since @giangi76 said it was the movie not from the zidoo issue, its very relieve
    but with the tip for HDR content to set Dynamic Contrast to Low, wonder if this gonna work for lcd panel?
    i`m using entry level 55UH6550

18. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

It's not only processing, but mainly the panels which are different. You are really very good if you can tell that white balance and gamma (yes, I put the 2 together because if gamma changes, this means also white balance did!) went in the good direction with just your eyes. You need to measure that to verify if it's correct. But as I said before...if you like it, ok!

19. giangi76

giangi76 Active Member

NO, no LCD I am aware of. This tip is ONLY for LG OLED 7 series! The LG OLED 8 series has now a proper separate setting to convert static metadata into dynamic ones (you don't need to enable Dynamic Contrast on low anymore), Panasonic OLED FZ800/950 enables the function automatically and maybe the new Sony OLED AF9 has it too (but I still have to find out)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  20. deusexe

deusexe Member

Say in which firmware there were the fewest errors. I'm mainly talking about stutter that occurs in the last firmware. I want to go back to the older software, but I do not remember if the previous one was good.
    Because I can not wait for improvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.