English: suggested language corrections RTD1619DR models FW

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I will moderate this topic myself and validate/judge suggested changes.
    Some can be misleading/erroneous or just annoying.

Where agreed they will be show as an aggregated list on this entry. After implementation by a new FW they are marked and will be removed after a second FW update. Just give it a kickoff but I am sure many will be found. I hope Zidoo will next do something with this. I suggest this post to be tagged.

I invite others to do the same for any other language.

1. In many places "Open/Close" is used where "On/Off" is appropriate.
    2. Quick Settings/Playback/"Blue Ray Region" change to "Blu-ray region".
    3. "Confirm" and "Conform" are two VERY different words and "Conform" is just WRONG in this context! They should ALL be "Confirm". One e.g. conforms to a standard and e.g. you confirm an action. They should ALL be "Confirm" here.
    3. Total random use of UK English and US English which are not the same for sure. For global deployment (most) organizations typically choose for US English. Please convert all strings to US English here! A few examples:
    USA: Home Theater - UK: Home Theatre
    USA: Color - UK: Colour
    USA: Favorite - UK: Favourite
    USA: Center - UK: Centre
    USA: Organize - UK: Organise
    4. Filter in Home Theater, the heading "AGGREGATION" appears, which is just silly! "Type" would be better.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    xskip, Mabon and DennisTheMenace like this.
  2. karipu

karipu Member

Scrape —> Fetch

3. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

Maybe Zidoo has a document with all the entries to translate. That would be more efficient. After, you just have to check where is the entry in the GUI to be sure about the accuracy of the translation.

I did that a long time ago for the french translation of the Mede8er media players.

4. Nice Monkey

Web scraping is the process of using bots to extract content and data from a website. It is not an error.

Mabon and ammar11 like this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Did the same for Zidoo (Dutch) several years ago. Lets see how they react on this.

6. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

The translations are per app. There are language properties in each apk. I can provide zips for download with the properties for each apk if this helps.
    We could gather the fixed properties by the community and provide them to @mirror.

7. Nice Monkey

Having the zips will help finding/judging suggestions for sure, but how to moderate that process?
    They can be used as references for my aggregated list maybe?

8. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

May these "suggested language corrections" include suggestions about function-descriptions in the GUI too?

9. Nice Monkey

Improving descriptions may help so I will include these too.

Mabon likes this.
  10. McBluna

hmm I'm not sure about the process we should setup. Eg. Home Theater includes 88 language files.
    I'm thinking about writing a tool to transfer all 88 language files into an excel file and upload it to onedrive so it could be accessed with Excel online.
    I'd prefer if there's a maintainer for 1-x language(s) and this person get write permission on the file.
    What do you think?

here is a mockup
    upload_2021-1-2_12-10-37.png

Mabon likes this.
  11. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

And I thought I had too much time on my hands! :D

Seriously though, I've changed a lot of the translation for Zidoo, but only English (UK) so it'd be great to have a multinational approach.

"Color" was doing my head in for a long time ;)

Mabon likes this.
  12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

The minute you don't have time to answer the many queries on this forum, would be a massive loss. So please keep up the good work!

Mabon likes this.
  13. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

That's very kind of you to say. Thank you.

Mabon and rozel like this.
  14. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

yes they have documents to do the translation for the z9x, I did (french language) it with mumakil for the x9s at the time.

there are several pages which include all the applications to translate (gui, settings, ht4, etc ...)

It seems easy to do (french language) but it doesn't have it and you have to choose the good term and as short as possible.

Zidoo asked me to do it (zidoo z9x) a while ago but discussions have stalled

depending on the language you may encounter difficulties due to the length of the word or sentence

@Inikad, if you want to do it, contact zidoo and ask them

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  15. ThomasP

ThomasP Active Member

I can offer to help in German.

16. Mabon

Mabon Active Member

I disagree! The word "scrape" is correct in this context and is used universally in IT.

Markswift2003 and rozel like this.
  17. McBluna

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  18. McBluna

btw I could modify my tool to create an excel per language column if you think this might be better.

19. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

@McBluna, you can also ask Zidoo for the documents to keep a homogeneity with their way of working.

20. McBluna

My idea was to provide Zidoo the files in the format what is in the apks. So they just have to replace them. May be @mirror could advise me.

Mabon likes this.