EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Rainer

Rainer New Member

So nice of you to get back to me, I appreciate all you help, I feel your pain searching through all the different forums and threads out there I've been everywhere
    that's how I ended up here. Reading through your posts has helped a lot.For the most part i've got it looking pretty good but I have to pretty much max out all the settings in the gamma to get a bright enough picture
    then I start to fight with too bright high lites. I watch a movie and it looks really good then a dark scene and I can barely see the picture, so frustrating.
    I will see about borrowing a laptop or virtual machine as you suggest, thanks again

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

As I say, also try an SDR EDID and use VS10 - a projector's best effort at HDR is always going to be SDR so something has to tone map and the Zidoo is quite good at it!

3. NormanC

NormanC New Member

Pardon my absolute noobnes regarding this topic.
    My setup:
    Zidoo 1000 Pro > Harmon Cardon Citation bar > Phillips 65OLED854
    Attached is my EDID file.

Would I get any benefit out of using one of the modified ones and if so, what benefit and which one should I use?

Attached Files:

• edid.zip
      File size:
      336 bytes
      Views:
  4. Markswift2003

You only need to use a custom EDID if you have a specific requirement - maybe add Dolby Vision to a non-Dolby Vision display, or reduce HDMI bandwidth because of long cable runs, or "mend" a truncated EDID caused by a dodgy HDMI intermediate sink (amp or soundbar for example).

NormanC likes this.
  5. NormanC

NormanC New Member

The only thing I can see possible from those options would be the last one about the truncted EDID, but how do I see if that is the case in my setup?

6. Markswift2003

You would have an EDID defined feature missing - for example, HDR10+ support, or audio modes, or DV support.

The EDID is only 256 bytes long and when an amp (or more usually a soundbar) adds its audio modes into the TV EDID, it can do it in such a way that other stuff is occasionally pushed out.

Why do you think you need a custom EDID?

7. NormanC

NormanC New Member

I don't think I need a custom one. was just wondering if I did :)
    I don't evenm know how to see, if anything has been pushed out from mine beacuse of the soundbar

8. Markswift2003

If you haven't noticed any weirdness then I'd be fairly sure you're good :)

NormanC likes this.
  9. Jason G

Jason G Member

Is it possible to add HDR10+ to a HDR10 display or is it a processor upgrade in the tv

10. Markswift2003

Not possible I'm afraid.

Jason G likes this.
  11. zolive59

zolive59 New Member

Hello everyone, hello @Markswift2003 , and thank you for sharing your knowledge, it's really nice!!!

I read on a forum that it was possible under Windows 11, via the CRU software, then edid, to edit then modify the "Vendor-Specific Video code" in the Windows registers, so that it activates Dolby vision by activating HDR in Windows settings.

According to the tutorial, I installed other software like the decoder.
    I installed "Dolby Vision extensions" and "HEVC Video Extensions".

My TV is a Sony Bravia kd-65xh8196.

Thank you so much !

(sorry for my bad English)

Attached Files:

12. Markswift2003

Not sure what you want - your Sony supports Dolby Vision already, but only Player Led (LLDV):

DV Version: 2
    DV DM Version: v3.x
    DV Interface: low latency 422 12bit
    2160p60: supported
    YUV422 12bit: not supported
    Global Dimming: not supported
    Backlight Control: not supported, default 100 nits
    RED Primary: 0.656, 0.316
    GREEN Primary: 0.285, 0.641
    BLUE Primary: 0.145, 0.059
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 578 / 0.000 nits

13. zolive59

zolive59 New Member

Thank you for your prompt response !

I can play movies in Dolby Vision, with the Fire cube or Android boxes using Kodi or Amazon prime.

But... Microsoft Windows cannot decode Dolby Vision, logically...

However, on a forum, I read this comment:

[QUOTE="for Windows to recognize a display as supporting Dolby Vision, all that's required is that the Dolby Vision VSVDB block in the EDID must indicate support for the RGB Low Latency variant of DV. As far as I can tell, that variant basically just sends a normal HDR (BT.2020 + PQ) signal with tone mapping already applied, as opposed to the regular Low Latency variant where a 12 bit 4:2:2 signal is sent.
    So, I manually edited the EDID of my LG C1 to set that bit (and fixed up the checksum), and after importing the modified EDID in CRU (Custom Resolution Utility), everything seems to work after enabling Windows HDR. Windows recognizes the display as Dolby Vision capable
    And the Dolby Vision logo shown inside the Netflix player, plus the debug info, confirm that I'm indeed being served a Dolby Vision stream. However, the TV does not actually switch into a Dolby picture mode (probably just because the TV doesn't support that variant). It still seems to receive normal HDR metadata though, as it switches into the regular HDR mode, and the resulting image looks perfectly normal. I think the only thing that really matters here is that the TV is not doing any tone mapping on top of the Dolby processing happening on the PC side, which can be achieved in a few ways on an LG TV. I usually use the Game Optimiser picture mode, which performs no tone mapping when set to HGIG. Alternatively, I think setting the maxCLL metadata to a value lower than the display's peak brightness in a "normal" picture mode by using the hidden HDMI Signalling Override menu should have a very similar effect.

If anyone wants to try to replicate this, I'm not sure what the easiest way to do that would be. CRU doesn't support the Dolby Vision block beyond the fact that it shows that it exists, and it doesn't let you import specific blocks. But if anyone comfortable with manual EDID editing wants to try this, here's my edited Dolby Vision VSVDB block:

EB 01 46 D0 00 48 03 77 82 5E 6D 95
    The only change compared to the stock EDID is that I changed the 76 byte to 77, i.e. I set the bit representing support for the required variant to 1.
    [/QUOTE]

14. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

@Markswift2003 - Hi Mark, hope all's well mate,

There has been a change or two in my chain, so I wonder, if you get a chance, could you disable Dolby Vision in my EDID (LG OLED) pretty please?....same as last time, just the DV suff.

Ta.

Attached Files:

15. Markswift2003

Oldpainless likes this.
  16. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Markswift2003 likes this.
  17. jotole

jotole New Member

Buenas tardes, primero que nada es un placer encontrar un sitio como este, dedicado al excelente jugador que es zidoo. Perdón por mi inglés, uso un traductor.
    Tengo una Z9x y estoy encantado con ella. He dado muchas vueltas a lo largo de mi vida buscando el reproductor perfecto para mí, he usado HTPC, Kodi, Plex y ninguno me ha satisfecho como lo hizo Zidoo cuando lo encontré.

Ahora di un salto y creé una pequeña sala dedicada, la configuración es la siguiente:

NAS, Z9x, Marantz SR 6012, Epson TW9400. Revisé el hilo y no sé/no encuentro un EDID adecuado para mí. ¿Podrías ayudarme con eso por favor?

Muchas gracias por adelantado.