Dolby Vision FEL Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

Thanks Mark.

All my rips are MKV of just the movie file , subtitles and audio. Maybe I should try and re rip them? Just seems strange that some can crash the system and most are fine

saving private ryan indeed was a dv mkv but for some reason plays ok from iso with no flashes! Will try and rip again as mkv and look into dv_tool etc

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Got to be something up with the rips there - I know I can be biased in favour of Zidoo (I believe for good reason) but if something is wrong I'll always call them out and I can honestly say that other than the early pre release days of these boxes, their playback of MKV is completely and utterly rock solid.

If you have a way of doing it I'd be really interested to see one of these files and try it here - or maybe just the first few minutes of “The fate and the furious” ..

First off though, as you say, try reripping and see what happens there...

johnwoods41 likes this.
  3. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

Will do, yes I mean I have 460 films and so it’s a very small % so far . Will try and re rip first and see. Thanks again

4. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I've not heard of dv_tool, could you expand and details. Don't bother! Just found it in Videohelp.com

5. Markswift2003

Sorry - that's me typing in a hurry - hopefully you found the correct link - I meant Dovi_Tool:

https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/blob/0.1.2/README.md

(I've amended my last post..)

Netmask likes this.
  6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Actually it found an ancient DVD info tool circa 2003 :)

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

For those who are interested but new to recoding DoVi/HDR10+ video, there is a nice thread going on at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=182311

There is a chance that bad metadata timings are at play here. Did you try and rerip with latest MakeMKV?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    johnwoods41 likes this.
  8. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

Yeh I am starting to realise that with the responses to my questions already and other posts I've read, everyone seems very helpful and friendly with a lot of knowledge, very lucky.

I want to connect everything via ethernet too, just for peace of mind that I know everything will run nice and smooth and won't have to wonder if it's my wifi causing an issue if one comes along.

Edit: I haven't set up a network before, when I do and if I want to connect a NAS, Zidoo and my PC, do I run ethernet cable from each device to the router and that's it, then I set up the network on the PC?

9. Markswift2003

Haha! so that will be about DV as we used to know in the good old days - as in DV and DVCAM and HDV!!

10. Markswift2003

The DV version of that movie definitely has a regularly cadenced level change in the enhancement layer that is compensated for by the RPU.

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Good morning @HiSalt - My router rests in my Study adjacent to my PC, Printer, Scanner and 2 x NAS's. These are all connected to a Network Switch which then goes to the router. From the router 2 further ethernet cables go to a Switch upstairs, to my wife's study and the other to quite a large Switch behind my HiFi cabinet in my Lounge, into which are plugged all my Home Theatre and Hifi devices.

What OS are you running? I confess my knowledge of networking is nowhere near that of others but basically yes, I set everything up Networking-wise through my PC.

Hope this helps

12. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I still wonder why playback from ISO is fine then, as @johnwoods41 states. When RPU within mkv compensates for unused FEL and thus causing the formentioned flashing, you would expect the same behaviour when the RPU and unused FEL would be within ISO. Or am I missing something?

13. Markswift2003

No definitely not - but if you extract the enhancement layer and play that alone you can see the regular luminance changes and if you play the HDR10 layer without the RPU it plays perfectly.

If I then play the disc in my UHD BluRay player which obviously uses the FEL, it plays perfectly in DV.

I also ripped the disc to an ISO when I came across this and that exhibits exactly the same behaviour when played on the Zidoo.

(I just checked again for my own sanity :) )

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  14. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

I seem to remember that the flashing at the same points within the film but when I ripped a full disc iso and played through the bd menu I got no flashes, but when you click the play button (triangle) you got the flashes! Maybe I was fiddling and changed it to hdr10

I will check mine again and let you know.

will look at re ripping fast and furious and gladiator at the weekend and see on these!

15. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

Also on the last Eric firmware have we finally got rid of the green flashing yet with DV?

16. Markswift2003

To be fair it is quite subtle, but maybe that was at the time when the firmware only played the HDR10 layer in ISO?

17. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

I see, thankyou very much for explaining your setup, I didn't know about network switches until I read your post, makes a lot more sense now.

Before I read your post I wasn't quite sure how you go about connecting multiple devices in different rooms to your network. I was kind of thinking you had to run separate Ethernet cables from router to each device but that didn't really make sense as the router wouldn't have enough ports for all devices in house.

Thanks.

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

No worries - I use relatively cheap switches, but I prefer metal bodied ones - take a look here to start your search off: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=belkin...795158&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_49bfaj2s02_e

19. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

Thanks.

Just another thing I now have to decide on haha

Are there a lot of different types to choose from with a heap of different features between them all or is there not much to them? Good brands, bad brands?

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I like Belkin ones but really most are all as good as each other. I've found though that the smaller plastic ones seem cheaply built so I've opted for slightly more expensive ones circa £30 or so. Obviously you need to ensure they are Gagabit specced for max throughput. Cabling ought to be a minimum of CAT6 but CAT7 now seems to be the thing. There are some really good guides out there on how to build a network. If you have lengthy cable runs, consider buying a reel of cable and an accessory kit which will include conectors, wire strippers and a tool to attach the connectors to the ends of the cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.