Dolby Vision FEL Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

What does " it ignores the video essence of the enhancement layer (which needs a second HEVC decoder) but still uses the RPU correctly."

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, of course - the Z9S has SATA and USB inputs. Other models have internal drive bays also.

Network storage is the best answer - easy to add more as the need arises and easily accessible by all clients on your network.

3. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

Ok cool, thanks. Came across this thread from a quick google search for media players that play DV, this is the first time I've heard about a Zidoo, I was just about to give up.

4. Markswift2003

5. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

Got it, thanks, I decided to read the whole thread, all makes sense.

Now to decide which one I should buy and then wait for the black friday sales to pick one up and a couple 14Tb drives

6. Markswift2003

If you're looking purely for video playback, and I'm sure Zidoo wouldn't thank me for this, but my honest advice is a Z9X and a NAS drive or two.

7. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

When you say NAS drive or two, do you mean a couple of external HDD connected via usb to the Ziddo or a couple of drives in a synology?
    I'm completely new to all this

8. Markswift2003

NAS = Network Attached Storage and they come in all sorts of configurations, sizes, number of discs etc..

A Synology is a good example.

However, as you say you're new to this, maybe that's not the way to go just yet unless you have a local hero who can help with the setup - media players can be tricky enough in themselves to master, but networking can be a whole new world of pain for the uninitiated.

But please, absolutely don't let any of this put you off - at the end of the day we're talking about stitching a media player to a source and maybe the best bet is to get started with is something plugged into the USB port.

Or how about a Z10 Pro or Z1000 Pro - both allow you to slam an internal disc drive in there and job done... all in one box and as you learn the ropes there's nothing to stop you adding external storage in the network afterwards if you want as your library develops if needs be.

9. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

I like the sound of being able to slam a device into the Ziddo and job done, that will get me going for now.
    Once that fills up then I can connect another 14Tb external HDD via USB but does that need to have its own PSU?
    If I fill that external up then I will think about a Synology if I need to.

10. Markswift2003

There are a few alternatives - they have external SATA connection which uses internal power but looks messy with a SATA cable hanging off it. You could use USB and use internal power. You could use a multiple USB device with external power or as I say, ideally network storage. But by that time you'll have got the hang of it all :)

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have 2 HDD's for my Z1000 Pro - 1 for 4k Films and 1 for HD Music. Swapping before a session is a doddle. For SDR Films and non-HD Music, I use 2 ReadyNas servers - these are quite old now but serve their purpose. Once my 4k Films HDD fills up, I'll have to have a think of a further categorisation - I use the standard File System for selecting what I play so a an A - L /M - Z way of splitting, for example would really not work for me.

12. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

Are you talking about hard drive enclosures that can store 4 hdd and connect that to the Zidoo with a sata cable and its powered by Zidoo's power supply?

What do you mean by this?

13. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

What is a doddle.. Did you miss type or I have just never heard of doddle?

Couldn't you just keep a hard drive in the unit and have an external one connected via usb?

What do you mean by this?

14. Markswift2003

If you use multiple external drives you would need external power.

You can get multiple hard drive enclosures that work via USB - similar to a NAS but not on the network.

15. Markswift2003

Doddle means easy :)

16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Doddle is just another word for easy as Mark has said - another is "a piece of cake" :) . Yes of course you can connect an external HDD to a USB port as well as having a HDD slammed in too but you'd need a separate Caddy & PSU for it with trailing leads etc. My Zidoo is built in to my cabinet so the least number of hifi units etc., the better for me

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  17. HiSalt

HiSalt Member

Ok cool, getting a better understanding of the different options now, thanks for your help.

rozel likes this.
  18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

No worries @HiSalt - I had other makes of media players before my Zidoo and it has taken me more than a few years to be where I currently am. This forum is definately the best I've ever come across mainly because every member seems to play a part in excellent spirit. We are blessed too with some brilliantly knowledgable people, so rest assured help is always at hand.

I should have mentioned that my Home Theatre and Hifi is all based in my living room, wheras my NAS's and PC are in another room quite a way away. So I rely on ethernet, Wifi doesn't cut it for me so I've disabled it on my Zidoo.

19. johnwoods41

johnwoods41 New Member

I have issues with a few films

“The fate and the furious” fast and furious 8? I get jerky playback after universal logo right at the beginning at the same place every time Then some times crashes if I pause and restart. It also seems like the tone mapping of the lldv is then out of sync because of this. Plays smooth from computer

Gladiator crashes now and again and always plays Jerky at the end credits in exactly the same place.

Saving private Ryan. This had a flashing picture and had to play from iso.

Anyone else had issues with this films as mkvs?

20. Markswift2003

For the first two, if you're talking about full rips then that could just be the vagaries of full rips .

As far as Saving Provate Ryan goes, I assume this is DV - if so, this is a badly mastered title in that the RPU dictates regular luminance changes and this is compensated for in the enhancement layer which isn't played by the Zidoo - so played in DV by the Zidoo, you see the RPU response making the base layer image pulse.

The answer is to play it in HDR10 only.

You can remove the RPU and just leave the HDR10 layer, but that's only if you're used to using Dovi_Tool and FFMpeg.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    johnwoods41 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.