Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos MKV bug - please acknowledge.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DaMacFunkin, Nov 1, 2020.

1. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Hopefully they will. There is no issue with PLEX on the Shield. I understand there is a known bug that affects the Zidoo RealTek chipset and that Dolby are aware of it.

2. kwapa

kwapa New Member

Hello all,
    Sorry for resurrections of an old thread, but maybe you can find it useful. I've bought recently Dune HD Vision 4k Pro & Zidoo Z10 Pro for comparison. Out of the box, after update the latest official firmware Dune has played everything very smooth what I have been playing including DV with DA. Zidoo played some DV movies in HDR10 ("1917" for example) & even I've gotten a black screen for like 5 sec during scene change from movie to title (at the beginning, when the plot changes directly to black background with white title letters) on "Knives out". I am not going to share any details of the streams, because I am not reporting a problem here, just a fact. I've tried to convinced myself to Dune HD, but their soft, logic in My Collection is repelling me totally - I want to stay with Zidoo, which I think from point of view just a simple user is great.
    Than I have updated the Zidoo to the latest beta firmware 6.3.22 & all problems were gone - it could play everything like Dune HD, so I was very happy for ~5min, because this stutter problem arount this time of playback still persists. It looks like that problem has not been solved yet in the latest betas. Could somebody confirm, if this problem has been reported as "solved" by Zidoo development team?

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm not aware of any stutter problem and certainly haven't seen it myself - maybe start a new thread (This thread relates to a bug that was fixed ages ago) and provide some specifics. In order for a bug to be fixed it must be replicated, so the particular circumstances around its production need to be understood.

4. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

@kwapa Reset the player to the factory settings and disconnect it with the switch on the back for 10 seconds. Maybe this helps.
    There is no stutter problem.

5. kwapa

kwapa New Member

OK, thanks for the quick reply - so it has been solved. After I had read the 1st post again I have realized, that actually my problem was different than this:
    In my case is more like a few "hiccups" of picture & sound, but strangely always after a few minutes of playback start. It happens also after I stop the playback & run again, so not just at the beginning of the movie. Some 1080p HDR are also affected. It comes back to normal playback by itself after a few seconds. I thought it is maybe my network (I use wire, switch & stream from NAS), but it happens only after few minutes of starting playback. Anyway, I will check this:
    Thanks @Bill-Z9X
    My apologies for the false alarm & not being specific. Thank you both for the reply.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Without wanting to sound dismissive (I'm not), as Bill says, there is no inherent stutter problem with any of the current Zidoo boxes.

Playback issues tend to either be problematic files (generally Dolby Vision files because there is a lot of non-standard home brew stuff flying around) and problematic sources which generally turn out to be local network problems.

The fact that some 1080p material causes problems and the fact that this doesn't seem to be tied to a certain set of files would possibly indicate network issues.

One thing springs to mind - some NAS drives go to sleep and don't immediately wake up on streaming - a buffer empties, the drives wakes and then streaming switches from buffer to drive - this can be less than seamless!

To eliminate this possibility, go into the NAS settings and turn sleep off. As I say - just a thought and something I've come across many times.

Bill-Z9X likes this.
  7. kwapa

kwapa New Member

It is clear to me now, thanks a lot again for quick replies & being patient with a newbie. I will keep testing, but you are right: the stuttering issue, as it was before, has been resolved with beta releases, if I compare it with the performance of the official stable firmware. It was really fantastic job Zidoo Team! This hiccup problem ist not really bothering me, but I will check my NAS settings. Thanks!

Bill-Z9X and Markswift2003 like this.
  8. Yohmi

Yohmi Member

I'm bringing this topic back from the grave because I've been experiencing issues with one single film and I wonder why. Hopefully someone can give me an advice here

All right, my TV is a Panasonic 2021 DV capable OLED, and I use a Zidoo Z9X to play my files. No matter if I use LLDV or Player-Led, whether it's from the m2ts or a MKV, but I just can't seem to play Beverly Hills Cop DV UHD nicely. No problem with the sound, no stuttering either, but the image keeps flickering every second (like the 23rd frame is always darker).
    I don't have this experience with any other DV m2ts or MKV, they all play perfectly fine. Is it a known issue ? I don't seem to find anyone talking about this.

Thanks !

9. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

As in all cases of one file that has problems it’s best to post a MediaInfo file report (text mode).

10. Yohmi

Yohmi Member

Here's what I get from the main video and audio tracks of the MKV version :

Code:
    Format                                   : Matroska
    Format version                           : Version 4
    File size                                : 53.5 GiB
    Duration                                 : 1 h 45 min
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 72.9 Mb/s
    Movie name                               : Beverly Hills Cop 4K
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2020-11-24 09:51:19
    Writing application                      : mkvmerge v51.0.0 ('I Wish') 64-bit
    Writing library                          : libebml v1.4.0 + libmatroska v1.6.2
    IMDB                                     : tt0086960
    TMDB                                     : movie/90

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    ID in the original source medium         : 4113 (0x1011)
    Format                                   : HEVC
    Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    Bit rate                                 : 67.0 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
    Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
    Bit depth                                : 10 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.337
    Stream size                              : 49.1 GiB (92%)
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    Color range                              : Limited
    Color primaries                          : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
    Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
    Original source medium                   : Blu-ray

Audio #1
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : DTS XLL
    Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
    Commercial name                          : DTS-HD Master Audio
    Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 3 965 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
    Channel layout                           : C L R Ls Rs LFE
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                               : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
    Bit depth                                : 24 bits
    Compression mode                         : Lossless
    Stream size                              : 2.91 GiB (5%)
    Title                                    : DTS-HD MA 5.1
    Language                                 : English
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No

11. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I do see this too at around the 00:27:10 mark (US disc). Beverly Hills Cop is a Dolby Vision FEL disc (EL is 5.75 Mb/s). I will check later tonight on my Oppo to see whether the problem is solved with FEL.

12. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

I just played ISO of Beverly Hills Cop on my Oppo clone and the pulsations went away. So, I would chalk it down to poorly encoded EL in which the RPU was used to compensate. The only ways you can fix this in Zidoo is to don't apply DV & force HDR10 out or re-rip the disc to not include DV. Other discs with similar issue that I know of are Saving Private Ryan, Total Recall, and Power Rangers.

13. enry184

enry184 Member

Hello everybody. I have recently owned the Zidoo Z9X, everything perfect except the Dolby Vision playback of ISO bluray and mkv files, HDR10 all perfect. I play everything from local hard drive. For example, the ISO bluray of 007 - No Time to Die works perfectly and I have no interruptions or stuttering of any kind, it just happens that every 20 - 30 minutes the image goes away for half a second becoming the black screen and then returns immediately. The Zidoo Z9X has the latest beta firmware V6.4.06_G. What could it be?

14. audit13

audit13 New Member

Does this happen with the z9x connected directly to the TV? Tried a different HDMI cable or HDMI input?

I also have a z9x and have watched several full Dolby Vision files with Atmos and have not experienced this problem.

15. Verve

Verve New Member

Hi, did you get this issue solved? I have this exact same problem with playing DV movies and I can't seem to get it resolved.

16. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

That's a quote from a post I made in December 2020! TBH I can't remember the issue. I'm not having any DV issues now.

17. Verve

Verve New Member

Oh.. i see. Would you remember what happened in between now that your issue is gone? Did you update the firmware or had some hardware changes? Or did nothing?

18. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Yes! In that time there have been many, many Zidoo firmware upgrades. - about 43 beta releases believe it or not.

https://www.mcbluna.net/wp/zidoo-model-overview/zidoo-z9x-firmware-download/

Hardware wise since that date I upgraded from an LG CX to an LG C2. As I said I can't remember the issue - it's been one of many that have been fixed over the years.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    Verve likes this.