DMP-A6 Feature Request

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Xyzzy, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Harry1

Harry1 New Member

Requesting the ability to select a default input when starting the unit, independent of the last used input.

ammar11, Bonzo and Rolf Quander like this.
  2. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Yep, I second that.

I'd also like to see direct access to inputs on the main screen. As it is, you have to hit the input button, then choose your input. This is also problematic with other family members, who might also change the output of each input while they are on that screen. I feel the input / output relation should only be accessed in the set up section, not an on the fly thing everytime you select an input.

Ultimately, it would be cool if the main screen would allow for customization of the icons. So for example, if I use Tidal and and external CD player, there should be 2 direct inputs that say Tidal and CD. With 1 push it goes to the proper input and selects the already allocated output.

Harry1 likes this.
  3. Doug?cb

Doug?cb New Member

I would like to request an add on to the unit, that would be a microphone and a dirac app to implement room correction. That would make this unit out of this world!
    Or make it like the buchardt room correction and use an iphone, it makes a whole lot of difference.

Joao Correa and ammar11 like this.
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That would involve having an ADC onboard, plus a royalty fee to Dirac guys...

ammar11 and Bonzo like this.
  5. Doug?cb

Doug?cb New Member

Buchardt does it with a DAC on the amp and an Iphone... They dont have DIRAC, they use their own room correction algorithm.
    But I said it would be an add on, off course we would need to pay for it, I would be willing to.

I have the buchardt I150 with room correction and it makes a world of difference.
    The low end on the dmp - a6 is too pronounced in my case, that's why I would like some sort of room correction.

6. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

T
    That's what processers are for.

7. Doug?cb

Doug?cb New Member

The dmp a6 already has a processor, and a pretty good one, its more than enough to process room correction.

8. Kopczas

Kopczas Member

this whole thread makes me laugh.
    They want all of this for 1100$ :D

9. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

What I mean is, I'm thinking most people who have a room where they want to use room correction already have a receiver or pre-amp processor with that built in. Having it in the A6 would be redundant. If you are saying that the A6 would basically BE the preamp, then okay, but my thoughts there lean toward yet another thing you are asking for that the A6 wasn't really intended to be (a 2 channel streamer). Not to mention, room correction adds cost. Dirac is typically hundreds of dollars just for the license. So by the time you get done adding it to the A6 and then paying for the license, I'd guess you just added $500. In my mind that it no longer the A6, but another device with a different name. The A7? $500 added to a $860 is a lot, and you just lost me as a customer.

ammar11 likes this.
  10. Doug?cb

Doug?cb New Member

Maybe if you read stuff carefully you would know that I was suggesting an add on, that means to pay more!

11. Doug?cb

Doug?cb New Member

I have a room that I would like to use room correction with, but I have an integrated amplifier, not a receiver, hence room correction would not be redundant. Actually there is a streamer, dac and room correction device from mini dsp.
    Maybe you are right on that one, 500$ is a lot, for an equipment that costs 860. But the example of buchardt is their own room correction, they dont pay for dirac licencing. If Zidoo did something similar for, lets say 200€ I would be in for it!

12. Rolf Quander

Rolf Quander New Member

It would be great if given an option to increase the size of the input selector symbol in the software.

This come in to play when you use the remote control to change your source. The symbols are to small to see when sitting in the sofa 12 to 15 ft away and this is the whole purpose for having the remote control, right?

ammar11 likes this.
  13. Kopczas

Kopczas Member

There is a reason that Buchardt`s active monitors pricing stars at 3500 Euro per pair. That`s a lot of money.
    Would you pay 2000 euro for hypothetical A7 cause they would need to balance research costs for their own room correction software.

Look at MiniDsp product lineup. Basic DSP with room correction (DIRAC optional) and DAC is 750 Euro. DAC/Streamer with room correction (digital only) is 1100 euro.
    And they have tons of experience in audio processing. Yet, there is no LCD screen, basically no features EverSolo is great for.
    It would be great to have unit that has everything that A6 at this point has,
    plus
    everything that miniDSP has.
    IMO it is not possible in 2000$ price range and there might be no much target to pay that kind of money for streamer. Or maybe I`m wrong.

Another example of DSP+DAC is RME-ADI2. 1200 Euro, small display which is very hard to work on, no streaming abilities.

ammar11 likes this.
  14. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

We have to be reasonable for what we're asking for, basically anything that can be done with a firmware the existing hardware can support is fine.

But then, if it involves too much of development work and time (i.e. Eversolo's own room correction), that's cost. If it involves third party with a licensing fee (i.e. Dirac, Dolby), that's also cost.

I guess you can pay for those license fees separately like Denon is doing with Dirac for their receivers but they had this deal with Dirac before the models are out, so I'm not sure if the A6's hardware is capable.

But don't worry, if you're not sure if what you're suggesting is supported by the hardware, just ask anyway and the devs or some of use that knows can clarify for you.

There's a thread for the wish list of what you want for the hypothetical future higher end model, the DMP-A8 (A8 makes more sense as their DAC models are Z6 and Z8). The hardware and price are not set (if it's even on the drawing board), so the sky is the limit!

15. mr_phillip

mr_phillip Member

Another vote for ReplayGain support for local file playback. BluOS has it, and it’s a major bonus to me. I’d love to see it on the A6.

Amnesiac, vekanoid and Jabba like this.
  16. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Although I am a one-album-in-its-entirety-and-nothing-else type of guy, I do agree that this is a must for the play-all-these-different-tracks guys...

Jabba likes this.
  17. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I agree.

But some things are unknown to people like me. I'm not a computer geek. When you guys start referencing all the myriad of options computer geeks like to use to hook things up, my head starts to swell and I completely lose touch. Aka, no clue what is being talked about.

Some things are obvious, and some people are just asking for some ridiculous things if you ask me. The A6 doesn't even function properly for some of its main advertised features. I say #1 priority is to get all that first. Until all that stuff works as it should, forget the rest.

18. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

For example, I doubt this is doable on the A6 due to it probably being a hardware issue, not firmware, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe firmware could do it?

First, some filler.....
    I'm a streaming newbie. But because of the A6, and what I like about it, after years of procrastinating, I'm currently jumping in the fire with all my clothes on. Within 2 weeks I've gone from never using such a device, to not only using it, but also evaluating the other players, like Tidal, Amazon, Qobuz (next), how they work with the A6, and other important devices (car and portable speakers), and how everyone handles the ergonomics of large collections. After sitting on the fence for all these years, I'm back to my biggest complaint that I had before 2010, and not much has changed. None of these things, including the A6, have what I consider good ergonomics when it comes to searching through large collections.

Last night I figured out how go make Amazon Music run on the A6. After that, I currently have 3 new complaints. First are trivial to some, and I know I can be picky. But the damned play button (and others) are so small it takes a lot of fine dexterity to hit the correct button you want. Second, I can not find a simple way to just go back 1 step from song to album (it goes all the way back to albums which is tedious as hell).

Now to the meat of my A6 (or A8 wish)....
    My biggest frustration with how this all works is just getting through the lists. Scrolling up and down on the main A6 screen or phone? Are you kidding me? When it always jumps back to A? This is just on the A6, but the big game players like Tidal aren't much better with their apps either. I suspect even searching through a library on the A6 from the hard drive library will have the same issues. How in the world could anyone think this is great and more convenient than playing a CDs I don't know. Not me, or my wife, that's for sure. Has nothing improved on this front in the last 15 years? Unfortunately its that HUGE issue that may stop me from using the A6 or any other device for streaming or having a library. Are there other devices that tackle this issue any better? How do the ones with small little word only screens do it at all? Is this where ROON and only ROON seems to fill the void? Please feel free to elaborate and fill me in.

So here's my Eversolo suggestion that I've mentioned before, kind of quietly. Now I'm going to shout it from the roof top. Whether its a firmware thing the A6 could be made to do, or its something only the next rack wide A8 could do with hardware, I'm not 100% sure. But the volume knob MUST be made to work as a scroll knob so repeated up down screen swiping is not required. Remember how iPods used to work? Well think of an iPod with an actual wheel knob that sticks out and can be quickly spun. If the volume knob (or an additional knob on the A8) could be used (feature turned on in settings) for quickly scrolling up and down through 2000 albums or songs or artists (an accelerometer would help), this would be a HUGE improvement. HUGE. I'm suspecting this will require a hardware change, which means A8 only, but please jump in with your thoughts.

And that's all for now......

Amnesiac, neoitata and Eajohnson like this.
  19. Dan78

Dan78 New Member

Would love for these additions in a future release

1) screen not to go off after two hours use ….would like a ‘NEVER’ option added
    2) track, album, artist to be larger on the screen …that’s the main info you need to see from a seated position

Amnesiac likes this.
  20. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Number 2 is coming for sure as it was announced already. A pure text theme view!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023