Coming Soon...

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Markswift2003, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Well-Known Member

The DMP A-8 has arrived and it a super bit of kit, obviously larger and heavier than the A-6 , set-up so straightforward build quality is super, now I just need to let it ‘burn-in’ how long would you suggest Milky?
    Keith

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    fofocho likes this.
  2. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

“Build quality is super now”. Before it wasn’t? I guess this is something you will tell your customers to buy the A8, while avoiding talk about sound differences to them

3. Milky

Milky Active Member

I would just leave it on and playing for 3 or 4 days. You can leave the volume at 1 or unhook your speakers if you want. I would start listening to it right away if were me and just leave it playing when you are done listening. The manufacturer probably did the initial "burn in" so I wouldn't expect dramatic differences. But if things sound a little sharp or analytical, that might smooth out. Depends on your system too. If you have entry-level gear, you might not hear any differences. If you have highly resolving gear that is set up properly, the differences might be more substantial. For those that don't believe in it, just turn it off, it will still "burn in" through normal use. And if you do have a decent system, and don't believe it makes a difference, I challenge you to make a decent recording of the same song on day 1 and day 7 after leaving it on for those 7 days. Then a/b the recordings, and see if you hear a difference. It's already putting me at a disadvantage, since idk how much burn-in was already done and the recordings won't pick up the spatial queues and such. But it would be interesting to hear your results if anyone dares.

4. Purité Audio

Punctuation!
    There won’t be any differences in sound quality, no more than there will be any difference between Eversolo and way more expensive streamers, ( unless those expensive streamers are extremely poorly engineered) you can’t get better than transparent.
    Keith.

Nutul likes this.
  5. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yeah the A6 had a light plastic case. The A8 has an all metal case I believe. Should help dampen vibrations.

6. Purité Audio

Kind of you to reply but I was just being sarcastic ‘burn in ‘ doesn’t exist, some components may need a period for their operating temperature to stabilise but that isn’t burn in.
    Keith

Jonsc and Alan Rutlidge like this.
  7. Milky

Milky Active Member

Record it and see if you can / can't tell the difference.

8. Milky

Milky Active Member

Which streamers have you listened to and compared? How do you know if it is "transparent" or not?

9. Purité Audio

The correct way is to measure two units one new and one ‘burnt in’ with an AP analyser Amir has done this at ASR the other still valid method would be again to take two identical components one new one ‘burnt in’ and compare them level matched and unsighted.
    I have made this comparison and there is no difference whatsoever.
    It is just audiophile nonsense.
    Keith

Jonsc and Alan Rutlidge like this.
  10. Purité Audio

Because I understand the units measurements and what they mean, and I understand the audibility thresholds of human hearing .

Keith

11. Milky

Milky Active Member

Thats 2 different units, not a fair comparison. Do the recording, and hear if you get the same thing. Can put one out of phase so you can only hear the differences, that are there.

12. Milky

Milky Active Member

Which streamers have you listened to and compared? How do you know if a streamer is "transparent" or not?

13. Purité Audio

You wouldn’t null recordings you would null the electrical outputs of two identical units , there is a software developed by PKane for this very purpose again over at ASR
    Keith

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  14. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Burn-in in speakers and headphones exists, and it is quite notorious

15. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yes, you would, electrical outputs don't matter...... No two units are identical . There are variances in every part, in every unit. Most parts aren't even matched to within 1% unless you go very high-end. You would have to test the exact same unit or the results would be meaningless.
    Which streamers have you listened to and compared? How do you know if a streamer is "transparent" or not?

16. Purité Audio

You are quite correct a drivers parameters will change slightly over the very first few minutes but serious manufacturers will have benchmarked their designs, thus taking into account those small initial changes.
    Keith

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  17. Purité Audio

Electrical output is the only thing that matter.Proper manufacturers such as Eversolo actually test each unit and compare it to a master unit so each unit is identical.
    Having said that I am sure there are some heroically poor designs around from manufacturers with extremely poor QC.
    Keith

18. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

do they test every single unit? Made in China??

19. Milky

Milky Active Member

Not if you are listening for a difference in sound. Maybe if you are looking at 1 and 0's Your argument is it doesn't make a difference in the sound right? So you would have to actually measure the sound, not the electrical output. 2 very different things.

20. Milky

Milky Active Member

Each unit is NOT identical, they are made to be within spec and there is a +-% variance in that spec. Even 6 sigma has variances. And you have no way to know how much burn in each item has had before you got the item. The method you using is just plain wrong and not scientific at all if your goal is to find differences in sound relating to burn in.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023