Coming Soon...

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Markswift2003, Oct 29, 2023.

1. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

I can even differentiate when a cable has been properly burnt in

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Well-Known Member

I think we have already determined that you are very special.
    Keith

Nutul likes this.
  3. Milky

Milky Active Member

I can as well. I built a pair of cables and hooked them up and there was hardly any bass coming from my speakers. Thought I wasted my money building them at first. I let them burn in a few days and the bass was back. Wider sound stage as well. You don't need super sonic hearing, but you do actually have to try it. Lots of people in here have read some nonsense somewhere but have never actually done a blind ab tests, or null tests to see if it's actually true. But they still like to act like they know everything. And act like children when someone disagrees with their false notions. They will even tell you they don't need to listen to know that they won't hear a difference lol

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Lol. A cable. After a proper burn-in.
    Like, the power is coming to your home through kilometers of ordinary copper / aluminum cables, and you're like "the last meter in my home opens up every detail".
    Back in my days, we too had drugs, although they didn't make us so dumb.

Jonsc likes this.
  5. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

We are not as old as you and our hearing is fully functional. Somehow you are lucky and can save a lot of money in gear that you will not be able to differentiate

atomic garden and Milky like this.
  6. Milky

Milky Active Member

Speakers cable. That rusty lead pipe in my home wouldn't have any effect my water then either then would it?... Power cord is the first thing you're equipment sees

7. Milky

Milky Active Member

They like to delude themselves as well.

8. Milky

Milky Active Member

I am going to move all my water filters to right outside the water treatment plant because they can't possibly be doing anything to my water if I use them at my faucet. That water has traveled miles you know?

9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Except a cable is not a filter. You don't even know how to make analogies.
    But then again, if you can hear the difference in a power cable; and even more, after a proper burn in, I must second you: I am indeed lucky.

10. Milky

Milky Active Member

That is incorrect. Cables can act as a filter if you use the correct geometry. They can also act as an attena for noise if they aren't sheilded or aren't built well.

11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

12. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

Yaaawwwn :rolleyes:

13. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Well-Known Member

Amusing and really sad at the same time.
    Keith

Nutul likes this.
  14. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yes, the asr crowd is.

atomic garden and JamOne like this.
  15. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

Lead doesn't rust. I think you need to go back to high school chemistry class. :p For someone who made a statement in another thread you build your own power amps and DACs your knowledge seems a little lacking IMHO.

16. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yup no way for rust to get into a pipe unless it's the pipe itself rusting I think you missed point

17. Alan Rutlidge

In any cable there are four basic electrical parameters at play which can and do impact on performance to a lesser or greater degree.
    • capacitance between the conductors - in the case of a coaxial cable the inner conductor and the shielding.
    • Resistance of the conductors.
    • Inductance
    • Conductance (shunt conductance between the conductors) - in the case of a coaxial cable the inner conductor and the shielding.
    All of these will affect impedance, loss, frequency response and group delay.

However in a short interconnect used for audio applications they will be virtually negligible.

What is probably not appreciated by many audiophiles is the effect of source and load impedances on frequency response. If the source impedance is high and the load impedance is low, there will be more losses at bass frequencies than at low frequencies. A simple SPICE modelling of the RC constants will show this. This is why some tube pre-amps aren't suitable to drive most modern solid state power amplifier which tend to have lower input impedances (10k ohms or possibly even lower). Likewise, if the source impedance is high and the capacitance of the cable is also high this can act as a low pass filter attenuating the higher frequencies. Once again this can be demonstrated by modelling the parameters in a SPICE simulation.

The quality of the shielding will impact on noise performance. This is especially evident when signal levels are low like the output of a magnetic phono cartridge which if a moving coil model can be in the order of a few hundred microvolts. Hum induction is often a problem in low signal level circuits and when I've been asked to investigate this in a typical domestic hi-fi system the most common causes are -
    • running low signal interconnects in parallel and too close to mains cabling.
    • faulty terminations (dry solder joints, poorly terminated shielding, faulty plugs and sockets)
    • on balanced circuits one signal lead is either grounded or high resistance
    • and, the presence of earth loops.
    So yes, cables do make a big difference, usually if they are faulty, poorly made, incorrectly installed or the components they are interconnecting are incompatible with each other.

Stuj likes this.
  18. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yeah a "bad" cable compared to a good cable will make a big difference. A good cable compared to high end cable will only make a smaller, yet noticeable difference. And if your system isn't resolving or setup properly maybe no difference. IMO, it's one of the last parts to upgrade, you'll get a lot more putting your money in other parts of your system first. If you're system is under $5000 or so you'll be good with BJC or similar. That's my $0.02 based on my experience, ymmv

19. Alan Rutlidge

No my dear boy, I think you missed the point. Rust is the following -

"What Is Rust?

Rust is the common name for a very common compound: iron oxide. Iron oxide, the chemical Fe2O3, is common because iron combines very readily with oxygen — so readily, in fact, that pure iron rarely occurs in nature."

Lead (Pb) not iron (Fe). Lead does not "rust". It can oxidise and combine with other elements to form compounds. A simple Google search will reveal the following - "Lead is also one of the most stable metals that does not rust. However, Lead can be oxidized with a similar mechanism of Zinc."

If you insist on being a pedant I think you need to be sure of the facts. Back to high school chemistry class for you boy.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  20. Milky

Milky Active Member

Rust can travel into lead pipes from elsewhere, or even plastic pipes from elsewhere, for that matter. The lead pipes can also corrode. I can call it a dirty pipe if you prefer, the analogy still works. I never said the pipe itself was the source of the rust. Also, it's called an idiom for a reason. It doesn't actually rain cats and dogs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023