Black clips at 85 for Dolby Vision output only **SOLVED**

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

:p :)

Cheers Mark.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

All good fun ;)

Oldpainless likes this.
  3. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

Mark, just to confirm - your tests were carried out when in VS10 for all mode? Otherwise the results aren't valid I presume.

4. Markswift2003

Yes, the VS10 SDR and VS10 HDR were carried out with HDR set to VS10 for all content. The DV tests were carried out with HDR set to LLDV.

If you use other modes then some DV results would be valid, others not.

5. Markswift2003

Happy to report that the VS10 issues picked up by @Oldpainless and his can of worms are fixed for the next release...

With HDR10 EDID:

With HDR set to "Auto"
    Profile 5 - VS10 & RPU is used (correct)
    Profile 7 - HDR10 base layer is used (correct)
    Profile 8 - HDR10 base layer is used (correct)

With HDR set to "VS10 for all content", "VS10 for DV content",
    "VS10 for SDR, DV content", "VS10 for HDR, DV content",
    With HDR set to "VS10 for SDR, HDR, DV content"

Profile 7 - VS10 & RPU is used (correct)
    Profile 8 - VS10 & RPU is used (correct)

With SDR EDID:

With HDR set to "Auto"
    Profile 7 - Realtek engine converts HDR10 base layer to SDR (correct)
    Profile 8 - Realtek engine converts HDR10 base layer to SDR (correct)

With HDR set to "VS10 for all content", "VS10 for DV content",
    "VS10 for SDR, DV content", "VS10 for HDR, DV content",

With HDR set to "VS10 for SDR, HDR, DV content"

Profile 7 - VS10 & RPU is used (correct)
    Profile 8 - VS10 & RPU is used (correct)

leonkoum, dr4go, vddan and 4 others like this.
  6. mattmarsden

Bu the way, why is there a ‘VS10 for all’ and a VS10 for SDR, HDR, DV’ - what other content is there?

7. Markswift2003

VS10 for all uses VS10 for the GUI so the GUI mode depends on EDID. It's handy to reduce HDMI resyncs because the GUI and all content are played in the same dynamic range.

VS10 for SDR, HDR, DV uses the Realtek engine in Rec.709 for the GUI regardless of EDID.

B0RN, vddan and crutzulee like this.
  8. mattmarsden

OK thats what I thought, wasn’t sure why you would need the GUI in Rec.709.

9. Oldpainless

Awesome stuff!

10. Markswift2003

Basically the idea is that all these VS10 modes (except All and LLDV) act like "Auto" with exceptions depending on the mode.

11. Markswift2003

So here's a bit of news...

On Saturday night, with the invaluable help of @Sledgehamma and gently fueled by a fine Malbec, we figured out what's causing this black clip.

I'm not going to release any details on how we did it or what part of the code is involved because I don't particularly want Dune to steal it and claim it as their own solution which is what they did when we fixed the original levels issue in VS10 SDR and HDR, but suffice to say I now have a black clip in Dolby Vision of 67 and the performance greatly exceeds that of my Sony UHD BluRay player...

12. Oldpainless

Awesome news!!

crutzulee and vddan like this.
  13. Sekology

Sekology Member

OMG mate, I knew that if there would be a solution, it would be coming from you. Best news ever. How can we get this ? :D Time to remove the Zidoo from its box? :p

14. Markswift2003

Very soon...

dr4go, Frogmort, vddan and 1 other person like this.
  15. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Good to here mark :)

16. Yohmi

Yohmi Member

Now I'm impatient haha, that's so cool ! Good job guys :D

Sekology likes this.
  17. mattmarsden

@Markswift2003 awesome news but is there any advantage to using LLDV over VS10 for all on an HDR display?

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

And will I need an updated EDID for my Vertex2 if I can take advantage of this when the firmware is released?

19. Markswift2003

Yes, I think so, but as usual it's up to you to decide - VS10 for all content will output VS10 HDR for everything (assuming an HDR EDID) whereas LLDV will output native Dolby Vision for DV content.

Whether HDR looks better in VS10 LLDV is again up to you to decide, but I think so.

crutzulee and vddan like this.
  20. Markswift2003

Nope - it has nothing to do with the EDID.